• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Opioid Bonds

nau5ea

Bluelighter
I've been thinking awhile about how most common pill opioids, such as hydrocodone, oxycodone, and hydromorphone, and all opioids bonded to gas particles, and why codeine sulphate is used in liquid syrups. Is it because the opioid class is more likely to bond to gases, or just less expensive, or both?

Gas particles? They are bound to salts for stability and absorption reasons.

By gas particles surely you mean HCl, which itself is a gas at standard conditions? It's used to form a salt with the freebase of the opioid for stability and solubility reasons like Kittycat said. HCl is an acid and reacts with the base, there's no "bonding to gas particles". Hydrochloride salts are common because chloride is common I guess, and it's quite a simple counter-anion, and it's used not only with opioids but a wide range of other substances.

Last edited:
HCl salts are used because HCl is cheap and easy and forms nice air-stable crystals in most cases

Some odd compounds have different counterions because the choice of salt can determine things like air stability, ease of dissolution in water etc

I'm just happy anyone even replied. I'm so grateful to the bluelight community :)