• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Opinions of sertraline

Man, take this into consideration, please, it is very very serious

I would not administrate this very hard drug to a child. 15 years, damn it, the brain is not completely developed nor the personality. The withdrawals are terrible, being this a prove of its "toxicity". There are numerous factors that I could have mentioned here to support my argument and I can do it if necessary but I think you have already got the point

Honestly, I have yet to meet one.

And dont get me started on CAMHS. They perfectly illustrate the shortcomings with NHS mental health services afaic. My son has been on their books for 3 years now and he's only just commenced CBT (for what that's fuckin worth). Hes also finally had his ASD assessment which was 'inconclusive'. It seems that he's a 'complex case' who isn't slashing himself with razor blades, so he's not considered a priority.

I realise the mental health services are stretched to the limit, but all they seem able to do is to ask the same questions over and over again and make another appointment in a few weeks time. Then eventually pass you on to someone else and you have to start all over again.

Hes only caught up in 'the system' because he had a medical problem as a youngster and his nurse diagnosed him as having 'behavioural problems' - I.e. she was a stuck up cunt who he (and I) didn't like. So he was referred to CAMHS. Suddenly hes 10 times fuckin worse.

However, he does suffer from anxiety, lack of confidence, low self esteem, no motivation etc. This is exactly how I was at his age (and still am to a certain extent) and I took the path to self medication.

Obviously, I don't want the same for my son, so I'm having to trust in the professionals...

When I was 15 I was cutting badly enough to need stitches, puked so much my electrolytes were crazily out of balance so that my heart beat skipped and stuttered and at one point took enough barbiturate to put me in a coma for a week in intensive care...and I STILL wasn't "priority" or hospitalized for another 6 months. The NHS is a fucking joke when it comes to mental health. If you went to A&E with a broken leg, they get you in and fix it immediately so why not when your mind is broken? Same deal if you were in severe physical pain, so why not when you're in severe mental pain?

I would not administrate this very hard drug to a child. 15 years, damn it, the brain is not completely developed nor the personality. The withdrawals are terrible, being this a prove of its "toxicity". There are numerous factors that I could have mentioned here to support my argument and I can do it if necessary but I think you have already got the point

Withdrawal is NOT proof of toxicity. That is also terrible advice. Not taking it when needed is vastly the more harmful thing to do. If he had a brain tumor would you suggest it not be operated on because his brain is still developing? If he needed glasses would you suggest he doesn't get them because his eyes are still developing?

If you went to A&E with a broken leg, they get you in and fix it immediately so why not when your mind is broken?

because they don't know how to fix a broken mind - although this is something the psychiatric community and certaintly not the pharmaceutical ($$$) companies will ever admit to. They want to think they are Gods who can treat mental health as well as modern medicine can treat (some) physical illnesses.

Who can really understand how the human mind and brain really works or why some people get depressed or why people have the personalities we have? It's just guesswork for them, as it is with all of us. But they will not admit that, either out of professional pride or because they don't want a patient to lose all hope

If that makes you shudder, how about this : a brainwashed kid goes home from school one day and says he wishes he were actually a boy/girl. His well-meaning but naive 'woke' parents then take their son/daughter to his/her GP concerned that heir kid may be the 'wrong' gender. A couple more woke doctors/kid shrinks down the line and a pre-pubescent child is being pumped full of hormone-blockers to prevent puberty, and after the child has 'chosen' his 'sex' (or 'gender' - interchangeable in these peoples' eyes) when they're 18 they get offered irreversible life-altering 'gender reassignment surgery' (ie. castration or a mastectomy - and more hormones)

This does happen. Increasingly, and with the full support of the NHS. So I'm not really shocked that children are now being given antidepressants

FUBAR, only you can ultimately decide if your son should be on SSRIs. Low-moods and depressive states are normal - everyone gets them from time to time (some of us more so than others), but we all remember what it was like to be a teenager with our hormones all over the place/being moody all the time etc. 'Moody' isn't the same as 'so depressed someone should be on antidepressants' IMO

Just be on your guard with the NHS (you can read my opinions on the current state of the NHS in the other thread). And wherever you go seek out 'good' doctors - by 'good' I mean ones who seem to be sharp, conscientious and intelligent - not ones who just want to fob you off because they've got to see another patient in 5 minutes or who'll write a prescription at the drop of a hat without listening or considering a case fully
Hmm? You think the NHS is brainwashing teenagers into thinking they're transgender? I would say society is far more inclined to brainwash people into not believing your transgender (or gay, bi, lesbian etc for that matter).

Last edited:

Withdrawal is NOT proof of toxicity. That is also terrible advice. Not taking it when needed is vastly the more harmful thing to do. If he had a brain tumor would you suggest it not be operated on because his brain is still developing? If he needed glasses would you suggest he doesn't get them because his eyes are still developing?
Yeah withdrawal has nothing to do with toxicity. Opioids also cause withdrawal but are non toxic (with a few exceptions e.g high doses of pethidine, loperamide etc) in therapeutic and recreational doses. Obviously they are toxic in overdose lol, but everything is toxic in overdose, even water as the definition of overdose is basically the dose where something previously benign becomes toxic.

Hmm? You think the NHS is brainwashing teenagers into thinking their transgender? I would say society is far more inclined to brainwash people into not believing your transgender (or gay, bi, lesbian etc for that matter).

not the NHS specifically, but society in general, and especially schools who now teach that 'genderfluid' is perfectly normal, even for pre-pubescent kids. It's wrong IMO, and blocking a child's puberty by giving them hormones just because they say they want to be a boy/girl is madness and nothing short of child abuse. We all thought crazy things when we were kids and we were too young to understand about these kinds of issues.

I dread to think how many of these kids who've had irreversible gender-reassignment will grow up to bitterly regret what happened to them, and how many future lawsuits the NHS will become entangled with because of it.

If a fully grown adult of sound mind wishes to 'transition' (after sufficient consultation with the right doctors) that's their choice. I wasn't arguing against that, or of teaching children about gay/bi sexuality exploration

Last edited:

I would try other possible alternative solutions which does not involve the administration of drugs. if not more can be done, and the situation is out of control, the medicament takes place

Depending on the country in question, some doctors advocate that remedies are the solution for every question. Children and adolescents have problems, it is normal in this phase of life, of course, there are situations where the drugs need to be taken, but most of them are not the case. For example, there are cases where the parents want to give medicines to children, because they cannot control them or educate them properly, so if the child is calm, at least there is a momentary relief

Just a Thank you for this thread and all the input. My son is now 23 and and some Hard mental health issues a few years ago while in university, and we went the Therapy route. It has worked out well. Now not sure where life will take it, theropy is Much more expensive once a week than a Pill, But I and he are very happy with the out come.

Just a Thank you for this thread and all the input. My son is now 23 and and some Hard mental health issues a few years ago while in university, and we went the Therapy route. It has worked out well. Now not sure where life will take it, theropy is Much more expensive once a week than a Pill, But I and he are very happy with the out come.

sometimes paying for private health treatment is worth it if it's good and you get seen far quicker than the NHS's years long wating lists. Glad it's working out for your son

That's awesome that he's responding well to treatment! For me the pills were only ever a very superficial intervention for my depression/anxiety however I do believe they have allowed me to be well enough to talk about and develop coping strategies with my (very competent) therapist for many of the problems I face in life.

I think my takeaway from all these experiences and from reading about other people's experiences is that the best outcome will come from medication in combination with therapy from a good therapist (clinical psychologist, psychotherapist etc). I remember when I started antidepressants for the first time as a (late) teen being told If i took these pills i would get better, which ended up being completely untrue. I think in the majority of cases it's gonna take much more than just a pill to achieve true remission from depression/(anxiety).

Didn't anybody ever tell that just because something is difficult, it doesn't mean it's not worth doing?

I was implying that with a broken leg, the treatment is pretty straightforward. Treating mental health is the proverbial minefield. In that what may work for one person, won't for another, whereas a broken leg is fix part a to part b essentially. The trouble with the mind is nobody actually knows what part a is, or what the fuck it does. Let alone how to treat it.

I was implying that with a broken leg, the treatment is pretty straightforward. Treating mental health is the proverbial minefield. In that what may work for one person, won't for another, whereas a broken leg is fix part a to part b essentially. The trouble with the mind is nobody actually knows what part a is, or what the fuck it does. Let alone how to treat it.

Well, that's not entirely true. We know what each part of the brain does and what the neurotransmitters in the brain do and which imbalances cause which mental illnesses and have used that to develop medications that treat those things and help most people.

Well, that's not entirely true. We know what each part of the brain does and what the neurotransmitters in the brain do and which imbalances cause which mental illnesses and have used that to develop medications that treat those things and help most people.

We are just scratching the surface of mental health treatment. We know very, very little, and most of the 'science' is seriously speculative. They don't even 'know' how some of the meds 'work'

In 30 years time I'd be truly shocked if we don't look back on the present day medical-model 'treatment' with the same horror as we now look back at lobotomies etc

I realise you've had benefits (symtom-relief) and I'm not anti-meds at all as I have seen them save lives for sure. To speak with such authority is nonsense however, and I can say for absolutely certain that the psych meds most definitely do not help 'most ' people. Probably helps 25% ish at most. And that's a smaller percentage than those it causes all manner of grimness to, unfortunately

We are just scratching the surface of mental health treatment. We know very, very little, and most of the 'science' is seriously speculative. They don't even 'know' how some of the meds 'work'

In 30 years time I'd be truly shocked if we don't look back on the present day medical-model 'treatment' with the same horror as we now look back at lobotomies etc

I realise you've had benefits (symtom-relief) and I'm not anti-meds at all as I have seen them save lives for sure. To speak with such authority is nonsense however, and I can say for absolutely certain that the psych meds most definitely do not help 'most ' people. Probably helps 25% ish at most. And that's a smaller percentage than those it causes all manner of grimness to, unfortunately

Actually, 60% of people experience at least a 50% reduction in symptoms after two months on an SSRI. The side-effects of SSRIs usually aren't that bad and almost always go away. Even if they didn't go away, it's better to have manageable side-effects from your medication than to be dead because you killed yourself.
And I'd say benzodiazapines work for well over 90% of people with anxiety.
We know about how MOST psych meds work. It's mainly the anti-psychotics that it's unknown and they are the one type of psych med I WOULD only suggest taking if absolutely necessary. I think it's insane that they get prescribed for sleep.