• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opinion on physical dependence loading a high dose Valium 1 time a week at most

Harmredux

Bluelighter
Alcohol sucks, but taking a benzo can make the difference between feeling like crap or not sleeping or getting night sweats vs. feeling OK.

What are thoughts on taking like 60-100mg of Valium maybe once every 2 weeks, at most once a week but average let's say twice a month.

Obviously ridiculous half life with Valium.

I am wondering if loading up a big dose of Valium say once every 10-12 days would most likely result in a physical dependence.

I don't feel much when I do this, I don't crave it, but I also drink most days.

I'm wondering if I gradually reduced alcohol intake whether the Valium would matter either way. I DON'T want to start taking a benzo daily just to stop alcohol.

Thoughts?

So are you saying you want to use valium to treat symptoms of alcohol withdrawal?

To answer your question I wouldn't expect a physical dependence from that regimen. But of course the big risk is psychological addiction. I might be biased cuz ive never been able to control myself with valium so setting out dose regimens never worked for me and I'd find excuses to take it more often. YMMV tho

The GABA receptors desensitise every time you use a benzo. It doesn't matter if it's on an occasional basis. Taking that much Valium, even just once every couple of weeks is still a heavy load. The brain will come to expect this routine fix and you may find that if you choose to skip out on it after a couple of weeks has passed, withdrawal will appear to come out of nowhere.

Benzos don't help you sleep either, not really. They keep you in a shallow sleep state while the deep REM sleep that you actually require is inhibited.

Instead of relying on Benzos to not feel like crap after drinking alcohol. Perhaps reconsider your alcohol consumption. If "alcohol sucks". Then perhaps it simply isn't for you.