• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Opiates - Retrospective - Description of the Opiate High

1.5mg? Damn man you have the most sensitive opiate receptors I've ever heard of lol. I like to take 60mg of it
I know right? God cursed me in many ways, but I'll be damned if I'm not thankful for my very sensitive opioid receptors.

1.5mg? Damn man you have the most sensitive opiate receptors I've ever heard of lol. I like to take 60mg of it
That just be a mistake because I don't even think that is considered a medically therapeutic dose.

That just be a mistake because I don't even think that is considered a medically therapeutic dose.
Nope, not a mistake :)

In an opioid naïve individual 1mg is the 'threshold' dose. I plan on taking 3mg today and seeing where that gets me. For further confirmation, I can get high off as little as 10mg O-DSMT, and as little as 100ug buprenorphine.

For me it was kinda different, For many years I was able to use opioids very casually, occasionally I would exaggerate pain or cough at a doctor appointment and if I got prescribed some opioids I would get high off them but after I ran out I wouldn't try to get more. Sometimes I would buy a small amount of heroin, use for a couple of days and then not buy more for months or even years. What actually started me down the road of addiction was my bipolar disorder, a very intense episode of depression to be precise. I was in a state of such intense agony that I decided to start using heroin to combat the mental pain, I was so desperate that literally just did not care anymore, I started using it from first thing in the morning to last thing before going to bed everyday because it just made being alive so much more bearable. Getting up to go to work became so easy, and work itself felt so effortless, not to mention that I didn't have to deal with any muscle soreness or back pain anymore from working. Doing chores and taking care of responsibilities was so much easier too, and I could feel so much more enjoyment from the things I love to do like drawing, playing video games, reading, etc.

Of course, the inevitable happened. I ran out of heroin one day, and I started feeling sick. The whole denial phase literally lasted a few hours for me, at first I thought I had just overexerted myself because I had taken a long walk, but some time later it was time for work and I was struggling to get ready for it, and though maybe I just had a small cold but I still went, and by the time I got off work I felt like I had a really horrible flu, and then I finally had to accept that I was in withdrawal...worst of all though, I was back in full force depression and it made me feel so apathetic that I didn't even care that I was now technically an addict, all I cared about was getting more heroin so I didn't have to feel depressed again. From there it's just rinse and repeat and here I am today, I just got my hands on some more heroin this morning and now everything feels ok again. So far, no one around me knows I'm an addict and I hope to keep it that way for as long as possible. At work I already overheard the manager talking with one of my co workers about a previous employee who was a heroin user and the way she talked about him makes me feel pretty certain that things would not go well for me if she found out I was an addict, and my family...well, I already struggle a ton with getting them to understand mental health issues, if they found out I was an addict then I highly doubt that they will try to be empathetic or understanding, especially because they have pretty negative views about drug. Basically, this is the only place I can really be open about all this...

Actually this is pretty much what my OP was trying to illustrate point for point, although you managed to keep it innocent and occasional for longer than most (certainly longer than me). The key is the first time you experience withdrawals, but then go back. That is the turning point, I feel.

I'm on day 3 of no opioids today. The comfort meds are a blessing. Clonidine is really useful, it takes away almost all of the physical discomfort and restlessness and helps me sleep a lot because of it. Gabapentin makes my mood actually quite positive and even euphoric. But after taking it 2 days in a row I am now going to alternate loperamide and gabapentin, since I have been addicted to gabapentin before so will get back there more easily. Today is a loperamide day and I feel decent after a clonidine. My trick with loperamide is to take it before bed the night before the day you plant to use it as a withdrawal comfort med. This is because it takes 3-4 hours or more to reach full effectiveness and if you wake up in withdrawal, 3-4 hours feels like forever and it has many times caused me to cave and go get some opiates. If you take it the night before, then you wake up "fully protected" and it lasts all day anyway, though it might wear off half way through the night so there's that to consider.

True, opiates have their place. And it depends on the person. For me, opiates are a lot worse than alcohol. It seems to me that a lot more people are able to use alcohol responsibly than opiates, percentage-wise. Also it's harder to become physically addicted to alcohol. My good friend has gotten drunk every single night for the last 13 years with occasionally one night off. Last year he took a week off because he was concerned he'd have withdrawals, and he felt great for the whole week. Sure wouldn't be the case for opiates! But yeah I'm not saying they don't have their place, or that some few individuals can't use them occasionally without going off the rails. One good thing about them is they don't cause damage to your organism by themselves.
disagree after almost dying from alcoholism DTs, choking on throw up, seizures, half gallon of cheap vodka every day. first and foremost a transition to sobriety is best but when weed and xanax doesn't cut it we all know mental PAIN.pain killers in general have far less organ damage/u can't die from cirrhosis from heroin and cocaine

Of course, yeah I totally agree that's true. Opiates are non-toxic other than if you overdose, whereas alcohol is just straight up poison and any gabaergic has the worst and most dangerous withdrawals. I'm just saying I know a whole lot more people that can just do alcohol sometimes than I do who can just do opiates sometimes. Also I've always found that I get addicted physically to opiates way easier than gabaergics, In fact even drinking every night (but never during the day) for months on end, I've never gotten withdrawals. But it was horrible for me and certainly did organ damage.