• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opiates - Lucid Dreams & Sleep Paralysis

they just sound like some heavy ass nods. you lucky dude. throw some my way.

No, they are not like heavy ass nods. They can feel more like a panic attack. Heavy nods you can feel like you can breath, while often you don't during sleep paralysis. You feel like your being "crushed".

Hey everybody,

When I do oxycontin at night, it is very common for me to have these terrifying sleep paralysis episodes... sometimes over and over again. It's like--- I am awake and am conscious, yet I can't move or open my eyes and have to wait for myself to wake up. Sometimes I hallucinate people are trying to talk to me and wake me up, or I am rolling off the bed, or suffocating... it really sucks and its really scary! My heart races so fast and I like hyperventilate from the fear of having to wait in order to move and see while I am completely conscious.

Last night, I was in an even deeper stage of sleep paralysis that was more like a lucid dream... I laid down to nap and drifted into this dream where I knew I was dreaming and was trying desperately to wake up for what seemed like 20 minutes. Sometimes the weirdest thing happens where I am dreaming that I am having sleep paralysis and desperately try to wake up, but when I wake up I am still in a dream... Sometimes I wake up and my eyes open, and by closing my eyes for a milisecond I am paralyzed again. Ughh what a nightmare it is.

The episodes occur more and more frequently lately.... I read somewhere that opiates precipitate this problem for people or cause it... sometimes I take xanax at night too which I think could be making it worse too. Does anyone here experience this too? Is there ANY trick at all to waking up? I try my hardest to move the best I can, to use all my energy to wake up but nothing works except time. Let me know your experiences with this.

Dude,I have the same problem w/sleep paralysis.Just be calm,as hard as it sounds,dont panic.Just try and move little by little,I go kinda side to side,or I try and sit up or move and kick my legs slowly,so you dont freak urself out.It happens to me when I do opiates,and sometimes benzo's and possible since I have a hard ass time sleeping,I take diphenhydramine with melatonin and valerian,and weed.and thats with the opiates or even without.Look up sleep paralysis.It has tips on how to deal with it.Oh,it usually occurs after a very lucid dream,which can account for all the times its happened using melatonin and valerian(dream potentiating herbs/lucid dreaming herbs).

Im glad to find this post.It was happening to me,and didnt know what the fuck was happening.But me being used to overdoing it quite a bit on hallucinogens and other stuff,just learned how to stay calm,which is very important,especially to me.Since I have this thing where if Im on shit,or was the night before,and I freak out and raise my B.P. and shit,I feel like ill have a stroke,or heart attach or somn.I mean ive felt my right side get tingly and numb,and at the same time have this weird sharp pain on the left side of my brain.My G.F and others think im a hypochodriach(sp?)

Hey,I know my body and my dad had a stroke/annurisome(sp?) well they really didnt diagnose him with anything really.But basically,a blood vessel blew in his brain,which they said was over stress.Which till this day I totally blame on myself.(thats a different story on its own,part of my depression/manic self)anywho...yea thats what i have to say for now.I kinda started ramblin,but thats me.Hope to get to know some of youguys onn here.We need each other.:)

thanks for sharing experiences everyone... Its true, sleep paralysis happens regardless of drug use but after reading around a bit it sounds like drugs definately precipitate it--- especially opiates & mdma it seems.

No matter how many times i've had sleep paralysis, it is always ranging from extremely uncomfortable to absolutely horrifying when it happens.

For those that never had it--- go lay on your bed and close your eyes. Now imagine if out of nowhere, you lost complete control of your eye lids and muscles altogether. You could hear people come in your room--- your parents, your tv--- you hear conversations in the background--- but you cant move no matter what you do. What if they see you paralyzed and try to wake you but you remain paralyzed and cant move? They will think your dead! You start to have a panic attack--- you feel your heart and you gasp for breathe--- before you became paralyzed, a pillow was right in front of your face and you can barely breathe in the position you are in but you cant move or do anything about it. You put every ounce of energy and willpower you have into trying to move your eyelids but they are heavy as bricks, and your pinky finger has turned to stone and wont budge. As if the prospect of being paraylized was not already horrifying in itsself, but in addition to the paralysis your mind becomes delirious and paranoid, while 100% conscious, and you believe perhaps there are monsters, insects or dangerous people who want to hurt you but you cant move or scream for help... Maybe you think you are having a heart attack or dying in your sleep? You hear strange whispers and sinister noises that aren't really there.... You wish you could wake up to defend yourself but you cant no matter how hard you try.

When you finally wake up, you are gasping for breath and you flail your limbs because in your paralysis you were putting enermous strength and effort into moving your body. Thank god it is over!! It was a terrible experience and you are scared of going back to sleep since it may happen again. Your eyes close for a split second and you feel a tingly sensation go from your brain, down your spain, to your toes.... You lose complete control of your limbs again--- you only closed you eyes for one second, now you cant open them no matter how hard you try! The hellish cycle begins again and you try desperately to keep your cool and not hyperventilate... You try your best to be patient as you lay there, lifelessly paralyzed while your anxiety goes through the roof and your mind plays cruel tricks on you.

Think about that guys... Its the fucking worst thing in the world and you are so lucky you don't have it. Yet, those of us that do have it all have a special unique experience that although terrifying, is quite phenomenal--- my friends who dont have it (99% of them) just will never understand the feeling of sp, and neither will the rest of you until it happens one day.

my friend..i feel you,and share your pain and fear of this crazy phenomenon/disorder type shit.i 10000% totally been there,not a fun situation to be in!!!

Yup happens all the time. Just happened to me last night. Got my script so my tolerance was low, took a few yesterday and last night woke up calling for my mom. I woke up thinking there was a presence in my room. Scary.

I think its because the opiates are somewhat both of a stimulant/depressant and it keeps your mind in a half sleep/awake state, so its confused when a bad dream occurs, a fight or flight response is triggered but action hampered due to the fact you are sleeping and paralyzed by the chemicals the brain produces to keep you laying down and not sleep walking.

This is at least what my anylization is.

I've suffered from sleep paralysis since I was a child. I only recently found out what it was. I always wondered if I was the only person who experienced it. I have not found that opiates cause it to happen more often. It feels very psycedelic to me and I have wondered if it is caused by the brain releasing DMT.

I know it does not make sense but I think different opiates hit some people slightly differently.

My pain management doc scripted my some Oxycodone and after that month, I asked him for something else. It does not make sense after being on several other opiates for years, but Oxy increased my anxiety and I would have some crazy dreams in the morning and wake up drenched and hungering for more opiate.

I switched to hydromorphone and my pain is mostly dealt with and I do not get "high" on my usual oral dose taken regularly and have no side effects and do not jones if I am stretching the time between doses. I just did not seem to tolerate Oxy's for some reason. The doc seem surprised as I think everyone wants Oxy and I didn't like em. Same with hydrocone. I tolerate it well and like it. Weird, I know...

Try a different opiate, if that's an option.

Hey everybody,

When I do oxycontin at night, it is very common for me to have these terrifying sleep paralysis episodes... sometimes over and over again. It's like--- I am awake and am conscious, yet I can't move or open my eyes and have to wait for myself to wake up. Sometimes I hallucinate people are trying to talk to me and wake me up, or I am rolling off the bed, or suffocating... it really sucks and its really scary! My heart races so fast and I like hyperventilate from the fear of having to wait in order to move and see while I am completely conscious.

Last night, I was in an even deeper stage of sleep paralysis that was more like a lucid dream... I laid down to nap and drifted into this dream where I knew I was dreaming and was trying desperately to wake up for what seemed like 20 minutes. Sometimes the weirdest thing happens where I am dreaming that I am having sleep paralysis and desperately try to wake up, but when I wake up I am still in a dream... Sometimes I wake up and my eyes open, and by closing my eyes for a milisecond I am paralyzed again. Ughh what a nightmare it is.

The episodes occur more and more frequently lately.... I read somewhere that opiates precipitate this problem for people or cause it... sometimes I take xanax at night too which I think could be making it worse too. Does anyone here experience this too? Is there ANY trick at all to waking up? I try my hardest to move the best I can, to use all my energy to wake up but nothing works except time. Let me know your experiences with this.

OMFG!!!!!!! I thought I was the only person dealing with this!!! Not really but you know what I mean...I find that this happens most often when I get little sleep due to bingeing on opiates. The sleep paralysis happens as soon as I drift off to sleep. I go straight into REM bc I am so sleep deprived. The episodes are so scary that I will avoid going to sleep.

I find that after an episode, getting up and doing something for an hour or two helps and will prevent the next episode. It feels like I am suffocating bc I cannot breathe. I try desperately to wake myself up but it is extremely difficult due to the fact that I am so tired to begin with. It's nice to be able to talk about this with someone that understands what it's like.

it's happened to me once.

one time i took 75 mg of benadryl to potentiate my dose and i was nodding while i was walking and was actually even having conversations with people who i thought were next to me. i felt as if i were really high on weed or something too. this experience only happened once though. it was pretty crazy.

Redrum its not a nod and it is awful. I get very scared when it happens and feel like the boogy man is going to get me if I try to go back to sleep. Does amyone else have auditory hallucinations during an episode? I always hear a loud wo wo sound that speeds up sort of like on nitrouse oxide. I also feel like I will die if the sound gets to the point where the wo wo would combine. I have never made it that deep but I wonder what would happen. Has anyone else experienced this? What happened when the sounds combined? For those who haven't experienced sleep paralysis look it up on wikipedia. Does anyone else think it could be related to indigenous (sp?) dmt release? Scared Straight it seems to happen to me usually if I'm real tired.

Last edited:
Redrum its not a nod and it is awful. I get very scared when it happens and feel like the boogy man is going to get me if I try to go back to sleep. Does amyone else have auditory hallucinations during an episode? I always hear a loud wo wo sound that speeds up sort of like on nitrouse oxide. I also feel like I will die if the sound gets to the point where the wo wo would combine. I have never made it that deep but I wonder what would happen. Has anyone else experienced this? What happened when the sounds combined? For those who haven't experienced sleep paralysis look it up on wikipedia. Does anyone else think it could be related to indigenous (sp?) dmt release? Scared Straight it seems to happen to me usually if I'm real tired.[/QUOTE\]

Thurston - Yes, I hear a lound buzzing noise that gets louder as I fall into deeper sleep. It also sounds like there are people moving around in my room.

Doctor: And it will be like a taco inside taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

Turn the channel in your brain like it's a tv. I enjoy the lucid dreams/hallucinations.

Jaystyle the last episode I had was during a nap after work. I would get sleep paralysis, startle myself out of it and think I walked into the kitchen were my wife was. This happened about six times in a row. Each time I was convinced that I was up only to find myself in sleep paralysis again.

Here is a link to wikipedia
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Last edited:
I had a phase as a kid where I thought that I was constantly been abducted by aliens. I woke up in a middle of night, always on my back and started seeing different colors coming on from the window and start hearing a loud naval engine like sound and then I was becoming surrounded by shapes of humanoids and felt rising up from the bed and then it ended and I was awake screamin. As hell. Everytime this occurred I could not move any of my muscles at all. In the end I got used to it and find out that it was just a sleep paralysis.

After starting using opiates those have come back but I dont anymore see the lights, hear the noise or see any shapes of humanoids though.

Once it happened so that I was deep in a lucid dream and I woked myself up ending up in a sleep paralysis which lasted for a while, got up for a smoke on the balcony and sky turned red and I heard and saw waves of airplanes flying over our house. Went back into bed and then I was again in the middle of sleep paralysis but it ended quite soon so went back to sleep and then woke up and went to a school and took a nap in front of computer at our class and woke up in a sleep paralysis in my bed and after it ended I got back to sleep and then woke up again to go to school but noticed how similar everything turns out to be than the time before I napped in front of the computer in our class so I decided to try awaken myself as I do while lucid dream and then I woke up in bed and even that the clock was 4am i insisted on being awake instead sleeping as I did not want to get stuck on my dreams again.

let me just note that in my post i meant to say that i experienced the sleep paralysis only once, and that my second paragraph of info was just another crazy experience i experienced on opiates once. it was just another unique experience.

the first time the sleep paralysis happened i didn't know what it was, and i literally thought i was having a seizure or something. it scared the shit out of me.

Happens to me too, scary as hell! Glad to see Im not the only one. I am always wanting to scream for my hubby to wake me up. If they bother you that much don't take them at night or in your case even too late in the after noon. Now I have trained myself to stop it b4 it starts and my cure is to eat something. Werid but true. If I eat a little snack I am able to go back to sleep and its gone.

This happens to me every night. My girlfriend wakes up to go to work at like 8:30 and I don't have to be awake until later, so I go back to sleep. This is when the lucid dreams occur. I always feel like I can control the dream, and feel very much a part of it, but most of the time my legs don't work in the dream. it's like I am so lucid that I am actually trying to move my legs in real life to move around in the dream. This usually ends up with a very difficult struggle for me to move around in the dream, until I feel like I am awake and can't move until about 5-10 minutes after, when I actually wake up. Sometimes when I "wake up" in my dream, people will come in my room and try and kill me, or my girlfriend will come in and break up with me, and I am left there to feel terrified/terrible until I wake up

It's kind of fun, unless you are having a nightmare. I just wish I could find a way for my legs to work better in dreams. Such a funny thing to say, ha

I've experienced this many times on and off of opiates, for me benadryl often seems to be part of the problem or too many benzos. Actually I don't really know why it happens, I think for me stress probably factors in more than any particular drug, also if I haven't been eating well.

It's a horrible feeling, I'll wake up feeling like I'm just completely paralyzed, like there is no way to move whatsoever. I feel like I have to fight to move but I realize if I relax I'm usually able to move and the panic part subsides as well.