• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiates Loperamide medicinally, incidental crossover with heroin, withdrawal report

Moonlitskies09

Greenlighter
I wanted to say briefly that I recently reused heroin after at least a year of total abstinence, the quantity of which can only be described as one bag, or twenty dollars, used intravenously one time. In addition, I had been using loperamide, 1 mg once a day, for over a year, for pharmaceutically intended purposes.

I experienced a light, ninety six hour withdrawal. I did not have rls and I had several hours of disturbed sleep but no real insomnia. No sweats. I was not bloated did not suffer gastrointestinal related symptoms, possibly due to continued loperamide usage.

The following are a list of symptoms i experianced:
Weak symptoms
-Minimal tearing, not enough to form droplets.
-Rapid heart beat for unknown periods of time in a cyclic interval with positive relation to overall withdrawal timeline
-Runny nose on peak day
-Dramatically increased irritability

More severe symptoms:
-Moderate to severe muscle and tendon pain
-Severe lethargy, comparable to high dose withdrawal
-Adhedonia
-Nasua in mornings after bed, possibly related to gas

A possibly unrelated symptom:
-Pronounced headache and feeling of dehydration

Timeline breakdown: first symptoms at approximately 32 hours after dosing, peak withdrawal at 54 hours in, withdrawals subside dramatically by 72 hours and unnapparent in 96

I was surprised at how much low dose loperamide had effected my tolerance to other opiates. I absolutely had expected some crosstolerance, however the intensity of withdrawal had increased markedly. I would not expect withdrawal after using heroin at any dose one time without another opiate based medication in my system and the interaction between imodium and opiates has become somewhat common knowledge.

This thread is intended to address primarily the small niche that uses loperamide for IBS or other medical issues. There is little information on the subject of low dose loperamide users relative to the vast wealth of articles concerned with loperamide tapering and sabotaging the natural chemical process responsible for inhibiting the binding to neurotransmitters, forgive me for not explaining the later well as I do not understand the process any better than that.

I hope this helps others gauge their usage. I would not fear the withdrawal after one use however it was intense enough that I would not recommend using other opiates while taking loperamide due to crosstolerance. Plainly speaking, it's not earth shattering painful for me but definitely severe enough I felt I had regretted using at the time. There were no cravings to redose after the intended psychoactive effects wore off.

Note: Anecdotal references are the lowest form of evidence, refer to this and any information not approved by medical professionals at your own risk. Thank you for doing your best to stay safe to take part in our world.