• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiate tolerance

washingtonbound

Bluelighter
Yesterday I popped 10mg of hyrdocodone and felt pretty damn good. Lots of energy, talkative, and mildly euphoric. I catch a good buzz on between 10-15mg and anything beyond that gets me rather sick. I don’t take it very often but one time I took 50mg and was puking my guts out. Anyway, today I felt like popping some more but was out so it wasn’t an option. I recognize this is an ugly rabbit hole and what I’ve heard is that with regular use, 15mg soon becomes 30, which then becomes 60, etc etc. My question is how long exactly does it take for tolerance to build and is it possible to take responsibly. My impression is that it’s not. Any input is appreciated.

Yesterday I popped 10mg of hyrdocodone and felt pretty damn good. Lots of energy, talkative, and mildly euphoric. I catch a good buzz on between 10-15mg and anything beyond that gets me rather sick. I don’t take it very often but one time I took 50mg and was puking my guts out. Anyway, today I felt like popping some more but was out so it wasn’t an option. I recognize this is an ugly rabbit hole and what I’ve heard is that with regular use, 15mg soon becomes 30, which then becomes 60, etc etc. My question is how long exactly does it take for tolerance to build and is it possible to take responsibly. My impression is that it’s not. Any input is appreciated.
Tolerance builds quick. First it's 1...then 2.....a week later it's 3 tablets at a time. Before you know it you always want to have some and down the rabbit hole you go. It ain't no fun down there and even though you like the way they make you feel now you won't say that 6 months from now. We all like to be talkative, have energy and get euphoric and we often use pills to get this effect. But pretty soon the pills get us ( right by out cojones ) and then it's not just a psychological addiction ( like it is for you now ). Now it's physical and when you have no supply you will be one hurtin' puppy. Believe me.......quit while you're ahead. I believe I saw in one of your posts that you were 19. I don't want you still here when you are 29 trying to get off of a heroin or poppy tea habit. Opioids are gonna drain ya man. Drain your soul and drain your wallet.

Tolerance builds quick. First it's 1...then 2.....a week later it's 3 tablets at a time. Before you know it you always want to have some and down the rabbit hole you go. It ain't no fun down there and even though you like the way they make you feel now you won't say that 6 months from now. We all like to be talkative, have energy and get euphoric and we often use pills to get this effect. But pretty soon the pills get us ( right by out cojones ) and then it's not just a psychological addiction ( like it is for you now ). Now it's physical and when you have no supply you will be one hurtin' puppy. Believe me.......quit while you're ahead. I believe I saw in one of your posts that you were 19. I don't want you still here when you are 29 trying to get off of a heroin or poppy tea habit. Opioids are gonna drain ya man. Drain your soul and drain your wallet.
I’m 27. I know I need to quit for sure. It’s just so damn tempting when you start thinking about how good it feels. I definitely need to get a grip.

It depends on many different factors, everyone can be different. Tolerance will build a lot slower if you take it as infrequently as possible, and don't escalate the dose to compensate.

Opioids are addictive for a reason, they do simply bring relief from both physical and emotional pain.

But there are people out there that stick to a strict regiment of not taking too much, too frequently. And while it likely won't ever be as fabulous as the first few times you take opioids, you can still get that helpful relief you seek if you're responsible.

That said, all of that is highly dependent on how much willpower you have, and taking opioids in any kind of regular fashion is certainly playing with fire.

I started with hydrocodone when I was 12, though I didn't escalate to heroin until I was around 21 or so, it eventually became a physical dependency of which I have yet to get through, though I'm no longer dependent on heroin or any opioid that could kill me potentially.

So your mileage can definitely vary, but tread with caution for sure.

I often think I take my opiates responsibly, but I don't and I'm slowly accepting that fact, but this is going to run it's course as it's done before and the only reason I even entertain the notion that opiates might somehow help me is because I'm in my fifties, secure marriage, secure income, secure home, kids in their twenties so all in the process of leaving now and again and I am already prescribed opiates for a chronic pain condition that I want control of.
I sat down with my husband and discussed was it better dealing with opiate addiction just so I could have some time off from the pain, he left the final decision to me and I'm addicted so here we are, I use whatever helps and I'm a far more loveable person for it. But that is the best life's going to get for me and I'm not knocking it, life is good right now.
Unless you are old, disabled or have cancer, probably best not to put into your life something that will never leave it.

I often think I take my opiates responsibly, but I don't and I'm slowly accepting that fact, but this is going to run it's course as it's done before and the only reason I even entertain the notion that opiates might somehow help me is because I'm in my fifties, secure marriage, secure income, secure home, kids in their twenties so all in the process of leaving now and again and I am already prescribed opiates for a chronic pain condition that I want control of.
I sat down with my husband and discussed was it better dealing with opiate addiction just so I could have some time off from the pain, he left the final decision to me and I'm addicted so here we are, I use whatever helps and I'm a far more loveable person for it. But that is the best life's going to get for me and I'm not knocking it, life is good right now.
Unless you are old, disabled or have cancer, probably best not to put into your life something that will never leave it.
Very well put.

Any regular use of an opiate will cause your tolerance to go up and eventually lead to a physical dependence, that's the pesky thing about them.

That said, just how fast you get a tolerance and by how much you have to up the dose each time to still get the desired effects varies wildly between individuals. For instance, my initial tolerance was very slow to build. Took me longer than I thought (and longer than most people around me who used with the same frequency) to get a habit. Once you have had a habit, your body is ALWAYS quicker afterwards to catch onto the
substance again, thus risking unpleasant withdrawal symptoms, so you want to avoid developing one if you can.

As for the other, yes opiates can be, and have been used responsibly, ie in a non-addicted way, by many people. That's historically documented, that's documented by several modern-day studies ; it's simply a fact. HOWEVER. If you are already doubting your own ability to do so in advance, then you're probably not the best candidate for recreational use.

Also, again your individual response in terms of tolerance will make a huge difference to how often you can use without courting dependency. I'm slow to build up tolerance and quick to drop it, so I can 'get away' with more frequent use than most, and need less of a break in order to 're-set' whenever I feel my tolerance nudging up again. Somebody else following my regime might find themselves addicted or re-addicted in very short order. It is impossible to generalise on these things.
Golden general rule (pun unintended) is never to use more than max 3 days in a row and then take AT LEAST 3 x the number of days off as the number you've been using. Long-term non-addict users (and I know a few personally) tend to only use 2 - 3 times a month, max 5, and no more. If you think you can't stick that, don't try.

Last edited:
I think using your brains you can do things control addiction if you're fully aware of your. But drugs be addictive and so I dunno why even bother? I would go the other way and just take less and less until you don't take pain meds except maybe for Christmas or birthday partys because they problem I have is over the last 20 years I've become fully addicted. If I didn't get pain meds I dunno what I would do... But I'm not quitting anymore.. to late for me

I just wanted to post this somewhere, opiate tolerance seemed a well fitting topic. This poor little critter only doing what the rest of us are doing, he paid the price by morning :cry:. I'd already tagged this as a truely potent pod, he should have read the label.