European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Open Uni

Bluelighter
Hi all.

I'm on my final year of studying with the OU. In most uni's to get a first you need 70%, with the OU that is 85%. Worse still to get a 2:2 you need over 70%, not sure if i can do that, is there any point in getting a degree as a 3:1?

Rob,

depends why you want the degree I suppose. I'm part way through a degree with the OU and not really very happy with them, it's like a mystery when you sign up for a course, they tell you jack shit about the content of it. Also being forced to interact with the other people on the courses does my head in.

depends why you want the degree I suppose. I'm part way through a degree with the OU and not really very happy with them, it's like a mystery when you sign up for a course, they tell you jack shit about the content of it. Also being forced to interact with the other people on the courses does my head in.

Yeah I'm pissed off with them too. I have a certifcate of higher education (completed one year) from Heriot-Watt and I applied for credit transfer, but the OU require a course transcript, which HW do not keep frow when I was studying there. I spent a frantic week before Christmas trryimg to sort it out and got nowhere, so I have to do (and pay for) the mickey mouse "how to work a computer" courses, despite working in IT for 20 years! Then I missed the deadline for this year's course registration by a week, because I was busy looking after my disabled brother while he was up for new year, then I spent a week recovering a client's website after a minor disaster. I spelled this out to them and asked for a bit of discretion, but got nowhere. Not very "open" in my opinion. Well they're not getting any more of my money, they've had thousands off me over the years. I won't say some of the revenge plans I made, it would get me into trouble :D

they seem a bit dated on the whole. Registration can be a total pain in the neck. The library access is good at least, more useful than half the courses they offer.

I also got no credit transfer from when I was uni the 90's, was a year too early for some new rules they had in place or something.

yeah dated is right, and dreadfully ignorant of the whole open source / free software thing that's only been going on since about 1985!

In most uni's to get a first you need 70%, with the OU that is 85%.

Wow, that's incredible! Either virtually nobody studying for an Arts/Humanities degree gets a First or the markers are much more lenient than in other Universities. Any idea why they have done this?

The library access is good at least, more useful than half the courses they offer..

How does this work? Do they sort out access to local Universities' Libraries or is it a postal/online scenario?

it is just an Athens login, gives you access to most journals and a shitload of other resources.

Hi all.

I'm on my final year of studying with the OU. In most uni's to get a first you need 70%, with the OU that is 85%. Worse still to get a 2:2 you need over 70%, not sure if i can do that, is there any point in getting a degree as a 3:1?

Rob,

The OU simply uses a different marking scale to that used in most conventional universities. So your assignment that would get a 70 at conventional uni would get 85 at the OU. The standard is the same. It's not that it's 'easier' to gain a higher percentage pass at the OU in the sense that they are more generous than their conventional uni counterparts. It's simply that the OU marking scheme uses the full range of 0-100.