• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants One week into quitting light meth habit, what all to expect from here?

cyrax99

Bluelighter
Hello, just wanted to post my personal life situation, and see if I could get some feedback here. I did do plenty of searching first, but couldn't find anything that suited my situation exactly. So I used to be an opiate user, I liked doing oxy once a week or so, but worried about addiction possibility, and stopped them around four years ago. Didn't do anything at all from that point on, until my depression really got the better of me, and about two months ago I started using meth. I smoked it for about a week, but I disliked the "fiendish" nature of it, the ups and the downs. The effects seemed to wear off quickly, and I didn't want to have to redose frequently, so I wasn't a huge fan of smoking it. The whole idea of binging has never interested me in the slightest, my drug usage (albeit not a very elaborate one) has always been more of the self medicating type, I've never been interested in going nuts with anything. So I switched to eating it, I just dosed once in the morning, eating a tad bit, and really enjoyed it. I'd take it around 7 A.M. and be energetic and happy all day, but not spun out, I never had anyone question me about being messed up or anything. Anyway, so for around 2 months I ate a little each morning, just the single dose per day, so I could sleep properly at night. I used a teener (1.75 grams) every two weeks, which I've been told is a pretty low dose, correct? I ate normally and slept my normal 8 hours each night. Recently I got offered a job transfer across the country, and jumped at the opportunity. I had just bought a new teener 3 days before moving, but upon moving day arriving, decided to flush the whole thing, thinking I'd better stop doing it before moving, and not wanting to risk taking drugs on a plane.

Today is a week being clean. The first 5 days I really felt a lower level of energy, and had some depression, but it seems to be mostly lifted by now. I don't feel totally normal yet though, and am wondering how long approximately I should expect it to take for me to be back to complete normalcy? The cravings are minimal, haven't really had any at all to be honest, but I do notice a slight lack of motivation and energy, nothing too severe though. Anyone else quit a habit who used amounts similar to what I was using, who has some insight here? Because I took it orally, which has a longer half life, should I expect it to be a while before I feel completely baseline?

Thank you for your time, and any helpful feedback you can offer.

Last edited:
1.75g every 2 weeks is a little over .1 a day. .1 of meth a day is not much for recreational use, but "medically" a lot. You'll probably feel fine in 3 days.

1.75g every 2 weeks is a little over .1 a day. .1 of meth a day is not much for recreational use, but "medically" a lot. You'll probably feel fine in 3 days.

Thank you for your input :). When you say 3 days, do you mean 3 additional days? Because I'm already just shy of being clean for a week. When you say .1 daily is alot medically speaking, are you taking into account that street drugs are going to be impure? Seems a street dose would naturally be higher compared to medical dosing, since the purity will be a fraction of pharmaceutical doses. Once again, thank you for your input :)

Update: Today I am feeling fine, actually have been quite hyper. I was mistaken on my first post, that was day 6, today is actually the one week mark. All symptoms gone, so it appears the answer is around 7 days for anyone else who might be coming off a similar habit to mine (a little over .1 daily meth use)

You were wise to keep your dosage so low. Otherwise your metamphetamine habit would likely have caused much worse repercussions. For me, the worst thing about using methamphetamine, which I have used for 20 years now and am on right now, is the psychological adfiction. It's so bad for me that I virtually live for the drug.

But yeah, to answer your question, I'd say you'll be back to baseline in a month. Certainly back by 3 to 6 months.

You were wise to keep your dosage so low. Otherwise your metamphetamine habit would likely have caused much worse repercussions. For me, the worst thing about using methamphetamine, which I have used for 20 years now and am on right now, is the psychological adfiction. It's so bad for me that I virtually live for the drug.

20 years using Meth? I'm really sorry to hear that dude, that's really rough. Have you been to rehab? If so, did it work temporarily for you? From my reading, I know there isn't a direct replacement therapy like suboxone for opiates etc. but I've heard Wellbutrin is very effective in treating meth's psychological withdrawal symptoms?

Now in my case if I was truly wise so to speak, I probably wouldn't have been messing with drugs at all :p. Now the reason I did was because I'm in America, and was in a shitty situation where I make too much to qualify for AHCCCS, but too little to be able to afford health care out of pocket. I was switching jobs and had a lapse in health insurance when my depression hit, and couldn't afford to do anything about it until my new plan kicked in. What I did was figured out what dosage it took to relieve depression, and just stayed there. I wasn't trying to chase any high or anything, and I know increased dosing leads to previously effective doses not working, so I didn't wanna go down that route. Years ago when I did opiates I used the same type of methodology, as I really don't want to have addiction issues, and know drugs must be respected. This two month self medicating was my first drug usage since 4 years ago when I occasionally used opiates. Previous to that I've drank twice, smoked pot once... I think I'm just gonna leave the drugs in the past all together at this point :)

But yeah, to answer your question, I'd say you'll be back to baseline in a month. Certainly back by 3 to 6 months.

Yesterday was a week, I think I'm about back to baseline now, I feel fine. Maybe I'll get to feeling to even better, but as far as I know, I'm not experiencing any after effects at this point. If I remember, I'll update this post after it has been a month and compare whether or not further changes happened :)

Thanks for your reply dude, and I hope you're able to get better yourself. You seem like a great person from the little I know of you.

Thanks for the compliment. To answer your question, yes, I have been to rehab before and met a lot of great ppl there and made some valuable life skills, but relief from the desire to use methamphetamine was not one of them.

Thanks for the compliment. To answer your question, yes, I have been to rehab before and met a lot of great ppl there and made some valuable life skills, but relief from the desire to use methamphetamine was not one of them.

That makes sense though, from what I understand, in high doses methamphetamine is a potent neurotoxin (although oddly enough low doses are neuroprotective.) Long term use causes extreme damage to dopamine receptors, making it ridiculously hard to quit. Heroin for example while causing much worse physical withdrawal is not really neurotoxic, so I see why for example meth could theoretically be much harder to stop. What doses are you using if you don't mind me asking? Do you just take it orally as I did? The one thing that shocked me about meth was how dirt cheap it was over in Arizona where I was. I think posting exact prices is against the rules, but I will just say the whole months supply cost me less than a hundred bucks. Crazy how cheap it was compared to opiates.

Discussing dosages is tricky because purity and chirality (enantioneric versus purely chiral, d or l) vary so much between batches and from area to area and are almost never known to the end users, but I have been known to usually do between 100 and 250 mg (500 mg max) of good ice methamphetamine at once (I prefer not to redose, ideally).

As for price, without going into too much detail, I'd say about $600 per month is probably more of a moderate estimate for my habit here in Georgia, but also bear in mind that you were taking less than half of what I l like to do daily (roughly 250mg). OTOH I never go a whole month of daily use. I usually space 2-3 days between usages at the minimum. Also, back to the pricing discussion, some dealers charge a hell of a lot more than others for the same thing.

If you ask me, any kind of daily drug habit, even weed, ends up being too expensive to maintain for a person of average means. Some habits, such as crack, when taken to the extreme that large amounts of money make possible, end up being enough to break a millionaire's bank account before long.

Discussing dosages is tricky because purity and chirality (enantioneric versus purely chiral, d or l) vary so much between batches and from area to area and are almost never known to the end users

This is true. Now I'm no meth expert, so I don't know what "enantioneric" and "chiral" meth are, but I do know the "d" meth is what is highly desirable, while the l form is not. I'm guessing mine was "d-meth" because it never gave me any negative effects. Basically I just felt optimistic, more social in general, but not in a jabber jaw tweaked out way, I was just less private and more friendly. I'm heavily introverted and just noticed I was more receptive and listened to others better. I never felt restless or twitchy, I hear people talk about how they get twitchy and can't sit still etc. I never felt like that at all, I was just as calm as I normally was. Never experienced any kind of hallucinations or "tripped out" feelings at all either, so I'm guessing I had very pure "d-meth?" I did dose low, never increased dosage, and never tried to get high off the meth, ate the exact same amount of food as I normally did, slept the same 7 hours a night etc, so maybe that's why I only had positive effects from it? I don't know if it's because I kept a healthy routine down, or because I had very quality meth that I had no negative effects, maybe you can shed some light on that? (you seem to be much more knowledgeable about it than I.) Basically when I started I just found the dose that relieved depression (.1) and used a scale each day to dose the same each morning. I based my dose off depression relief and not getting high, and it worked great for depression. The 1.75 actually lasted a little over two weeks, I just rounded it off for simplicity's sake.

but I have been known to usually do between 100 and 250 mg (500 mg max) of good ice methamphetamine at once (I prefer not to redose, ideally).

So you must be taking it orally as well? Cause if you aren't redosing, seems impossible to be smoking it. Like I said I tried smoking it first, and I hated it. It tasted fine, and I didn't burn it at all, it just didn't last long. I had an instant rush and felt high, which I didn't like, since I don't like feeling messed up; I quickly ditched the idea of smoking it. Taking it orally had zero comedown, lasted all day, and was pleasant. So what's your ROA?

As for price, without going into too much detail, I'd say about $600 per month is probably more of a moderate estimate for my habit here
in Georgia,

Yeah, well I'm sure it's more expensive there too. I was in Phoenix, pretty sure it's the cheapest there of anywhere in the entire United States, all drugs are dirt cheap there because it's the first major hub from Mexico.

but also bear in mind that you were taking less than half of what I l like to do daily (roughly 250mg). OTOH I never go a whole month of daily use. I usually space 2-3 days between usages at the minimum. Also, back to the pricing discussion, some dealers charge a hell of a lot more than others for the same thing.

Yeah well I only had one dealer ever, but he sold stuff to me super cheap. I don't think he made much money off me at all, I knew him back from my old job, so we were friends long before I bought anything from him. If you space 2-3 days minimum between usage, I don't think you're an addict at all IMO, but I am no professional. For you to be consciously doing that, and rationally limiting yourself is not traits of an addict as far as I see it. An addict to me is someone who lacks the ability to control their usage of a drug, must constantly be on it to function, and has lost all self discipline. Although your mini binges are certainly not healthy, the amounts are still far from being anything too crazy, and you're using the drug far less days than days you aren't using it with the way you space it. I'd say give yourself some credit, sounds like you're actually using pretty good self control to me.

If you ask me, any kind of daily drug habit, even weed, ends up being too expensive to maintain for a person of average means. Some habits, such as crack, when taken to the extreme that large amounts of money make possible, end up being enough to break a millionaire's bank account before long.

I've only tried weed once and didn't like it, so I don't know the price. Only daily habit I had was these two months of once daily meth dosing. I had no desire to do it long term, but I could have easily afforded to continue doing it. 80 bucks a month is less than I spend eating out every month, I actually was motivated to pick up some overtime due to meth lifting my depression, so it actually earned me money, especially since I get double pay for OT. I noticed absolutely no decrease in its effectiveness, I'm sure I could have used the same dose for a long period of time if I wanted. You know what's absolutely crazy? Today is day 9 of sobriety, I haven't even started my anti depressants, yet my depression is not coming back, the meth seems to have had a long lasting effect which is totally crazy to me. I have been waking up after 5 hours of sleep completely rested these last three days, with more energy and optimism than I've ever had in my life. Like I said I was sober for 4 years straight prior to this, and have never felt this great sober in my life. It's like the meth corrected the balance in my brain or something, I know it works strongly on dopamine receptors, maybe because of my low dosing it was just enough to have a beneficial effect, but the dose was low enough to not have any negative effects? It's honestly kind of crazy to me that it has had a long lasting positive effect, after the couple days of feeling a little sleepy, I have been feeling consistently fantastic. Sorry for blabbering on dude, I just appreciate someone to talk to about all of this, I don't know anybody in real life I could talk to, and I am not going to go around advertising my meth usage lol.

I have been waking up after 5 hours of sleep completely rested these last three days, with more energy and optimism than I've ever had in my life. Like I said I was sober for 4 years straight prior to this, and have never felt this great sober in my life. It's like the meth corrected the balance in my brain or something

It's sounds an effect of the job transfert, new motivations.

just do something productive every day and you'll be fine.
and eat.

Oh yeah I have been. Been feeling perfect from day 7 on. I have always eaten normally, I still had my normal 4 to 5 meals a day during the two months use, and my normal sleep.

It's sounds an effect of the job transfert, new motivations.

Maybe so, I like it though. =D

BUMP: 2 weeks clean update.

Still feeling good, the lingering euphoria is still well present.

I did meth for about 2 months straight, about the same amount as you, probably less. Went through a gram a week, shared between two people, me being the one to do most of it. Snorted most of it, smoked a bit (bubbler), never injected or oral. When i stopped I had no come-down like effects. Slept more than usual the first two days, but other than that I was fine. I had also been on ritalin/adderall for about 15 years so my body was used to amphetamines at that point. Drank lots of water, took vitamins, regular showers, brushed my teeth more than usual, nothing really negative happened health wise besides losing a couple pounds from not eating as much. I noticed my skin was dryer than usual, but i had really dry skin to begin with, so extra lotion and showers helped. Never stayed up for more than 48 hours, i used the meth to get work done (coder/programmer), so once my brain started feeling dull (around the 30 hour mark) i'd just get bored and go to sleep. It didnt give me much euphoria, but I did get an extreme level of focus and motivation, much more than adderall. Never saw any shadow people, nothing crazy or weird ever happened like in all the stories I've read.

I think alot of how the drug effects you is obviously your dosages and how you take care of yourself during your usage. I believe the key is to just be aware and take extra care of yourself, and generally be aware of the negative effects of the drug and how to prepare for/counter them. I haven't done any in about 2 months and haven't noticed anything mental or health wise affecting me. No cravings, and i stayed the same personality wise from start to end(happy-go-lucky).

Just wanted to input my similar (positive?) experience, as it sounds like you are doing well, hopefully that state continues for you. Good luck! :D

I lasted 12years of heavy IV usuage and came out the other side. Took years before the nightmares of scoring (and not being able to) and/or shooting up....I've had 100's of dreams where I've got the gear but there's always something wrong with the rig, you end up incredibly frustrated in your dream/nightmare you then wake suddenly and your guts are literally churning for a shot - those are the cravings that cause relapse the most.

Dresden, you've committed to 20 years so if your use was anything like mine then you're in the thick of it that's for sure. Sounds like you've married the gorgeously sinister bitch - as an ex-user/addict I'm both jealous and sad for you.....that's one hard life even if you're the cook or dealer - you still gotta suffer most of what the street user suffers from. You're a survivor man but maybe dug your trench a little deep, take care and good luck.

OP - you'll be fine as you're seeing, well done!!

I've been a pretty heavy meth user for about 2-3 years, and even now when I don't have it for a couple days or whatever, I'm just tired and hungry.

I am SO glad to have found this thread. This past month, I began my first ever drug use and it was meth! I do exactly as you do, just a bit in my mouth in the mornings and washed down with a cold soft drink. :) I clean luxury rental cabins so I stay up and moving all day long. I've always been a chatty person, more than most, but I do notice I'm just slightly more chatty when using. (If that's possible!) I've never smoked anything so I didn't think it would be a good idea to get started with a glass pipe. I've noticed I do feel happier and more content with life while using, however, I've never experienced a "rush" so to speak. I do keep moving while using but that's not unusual for me. I'm much more focused however. I wrote my darling a three page love letter in the early hours of the morning which I could have never been able to focus long enough to do. I haven't had any desire to pick or anything like that. One question is - I usually sleep about three hours a night while using and have no problems. I recently slept 9 hours one night and woke up feeling utterly drunk. I couldn't stand up straight and it was very hard to clear my mind. Any thoughts on this? Also, I got a fever blister the first week I began using but otherwise have had zero side effects except chapped lips. And I'm not sure if the blister was a side effect or just luck. I do notice that I really enjoy sex more. I want it to last longer and keep going more. My husband of course loves it and so do I! I don't think I'm at all addicted. I sometimes think that I would like to be using when I'm not, but I don't think that's a problem. Also, the only reason I tried this is for weight loss. I don't want to lose a lot quickly as most meth users do, but a little bit slowly over time. I've lost between 5 - 8 pounds this month, depending on the scale. Is that acceptable? Thank you SO much. :)