Votes: 2 50.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lostNfound

Bluelight Crew
“I tried to make it, but couldn’t get the money. Now it keeps becoming more important.”
-- Francis Ford Coppola

During a Parisian interview back in 1997, Coppola reveled that he originally wanted to shoot “On the Road” in black and white using 16mm film; unfortunately, a lack of means gave way to a shelved result and the would-be film sat for another eight years.

Now Coppola has the support of Universal Pictures’ Focus Features, Pathe International and his own production company American Zoetrope, along with a slew of motion picture professionals to help the project along. “The Motorcycle Diaries” executive producer Rebecca Yeldham will produce, Walter Salles will direct, Jose Rivera will compose the screenplay and Robert Rock, John H. Williams and Coppola will all serve as executive producers.

“The book is inherently difficult to adapt to the screen, and we’ve never quite found the right combination of director and writer to do it justice until now.”
-- Francis Ford Coppola

Coppola acquired the rights to produce “On the Road” back in 1968 as a young director - before he made “The Godfather” and “Apocalypse Now.” In the decades that preceded his purchase, Coppola toughed through four screenplay writers until finding a comfortable fit with Jose Rivera, a collaborator in the critically acclaimed 2004 film “The Motorcycle Diaries.”

Some may question if the sometimes tortured-artist mind of Kerouac would want to see his novel come to life on the big screen. His desires for a film version to be made were recently unearthed when collection of Marlon Brando’s personal items were auctioned off in New York. Among the relics was a personal letter from Kerouac to the movie star. The note, which sold for an impressive $33,600, read:

“I’m praying that you’ll buy “On the Road” and make a movie of it…Don’t worry about the structure, I know [you will have] to compress and rearrange the plot a bit to give a perfectly acceptable move-type structure: making it into one all-inclusive trip instead of the several voyages coast-to-coast in the book, one vast round trip from New York to Denver to Frisco to Mexico to New Orleans to New York again. I visualize the beautiful shots could be made with the camera on the front seat of the car showing the road (day and night) unwinding into the windshield, as Sal and Dean yak. I wanted you to play the part because Dean (as you know) is no dopey hot-trotter but a real intelligent (in fact Jesuit) Irishman. You play Dean and I’ll play Sal (Warner Bros. mentioned I play Sal) and I’ll show you how Dean acts in real life…we can go visit him in Frisco or have him come down to L.A, [he’s] still a real frantic cat… Come on now Marlon, put up your dukes and write!”

“All things are like visions beyond the reach of the human mind.”
-- Jack Kerouac

"On the Road" and Jack’s other novels have made a significant impact on American literature. His “spontaneous prose” told tales of the Beat generation, making him the talented and reluctant spokesman for the hip youth of the 1950s.

Jack Kerouac's "On the Road" is a wandering narrative told in a continuous block of text and is a relic of a literary phenomenon. The “On the Road” scroll was sold at an auction for $2.4 million and is currently on a four-year world tour of museums and libraries.

Stay tuned to JackKerouac.com for more details on the “On the Road” movie, including casting choices and release date information.

Anyone found anything else about this?
I'll be waiting for it for sure

wow.
how...odd. good. bad. everything.
i would adore seeing kerouac's tale told on film but have such a disturbing lack of faith that anyone one (with the money) will be able to translate it well enough or rightly sitting in line with the feel and tone of the book.
but- true, motorcycle diaries does give me a big glimmer of hope that FFC will come as close as he can. as having it be his long time aspiration i believe he will spare no thought or expense to bring this up to his standards.

i will suspend my ill thoughts on how the film may turn out and hope for the best because the book is amazing on many levels and so could be the film

Due for release 2011 according to imdb.

I liked what Salles did with Motorcycle Diaries so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm looking forward to this......
I have a KStew crush (make fun all you want;)) and b/c I recently read Dharma Bums (yes, I was a Kerouac Virgin) and I really look forward to reading OTR before the movie comes out.

This is one of my most favorite novels. But I'm not sure what to make of the idea of a film, I'll be seeing it either way. :)

I love this book, I can't wait until this comes out.

Great thread OP.

i was thinking that it would probably suck as a movie

but then i started thinking about the story and i really dont remember much about the story

i was thinking that it would probably suck as a movie

but then i started thinking about the story and i really dont remember much about the story

It has huugggeee character potential. Need to make sure they get Cassady right though. :)

Production Notes from IMDbPro

Comments: Shooting will wrap up in December 2010.

Updated: 24 October 2010

Cast

Credited cast:
Sam Riley Sal Paradise
Garrett Hedlund Dean Moriarty
Kristen Stewart Marylou
Kirsten Dunst Camille
Tom Sturridge Carlo Marx
Amy Adams Jane
Viggo Mortensen Old Bull Lee

Incomplete list at this stage it seems.

Last edited:
Cant wait for this.

I think Viggo should play a good Burroughs. I'm not sure what to make of the Marylou and Camile choices though, hopefully I will be pleasantly suprised.

I am unfamiliar with the other actors who happen to fill the most important roles.

i think the casting is good, i'm still unsure about the female roles (Kstew and Kirsten Dunst) but i think this is a film where both these ladies can prove themselves.

sam riley is gonna do great, he was amazing in control

i think the casting is good, i'm still unsure about the female roles (Kstew and Kirsten Dunst) but i think this is a film where both these ladies can prove themselves.

sam riley is gonna do great, he was amazing in control

I have no idea how Kstew will be, but I have a hunch Ms Dunst will do a swell job playing Mary Lou.

I nearly always get dissapointed with Popular Actors showing up in Makes of Great literary works though, they usually spoil them for me, but they might get a chance to shine.. hopefully - going to try to keep an open mind about this one...

(Pleeze be good,Pleeze be good, pleeze be good!)
1.gif