• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc OMG Loperamide withdrawal is fucking DANGEROUS

Ive been through loperamide withdrawal at 40-50mg. It feels alot like traditional opioid withdrawal but with fewer cognitive withdrawal symptoms (not as much anxiety, depression and dysphoria) but with severe gastrointestinal symptoms (diarrhea in particular). Also has other typical withdrawal symptoms such as joint pain, paresthesia, but with less insomnia, lacrimation and rhinorrhea than traditional opioid withdrawal syndromes.

When i finally tapered off and quit at 4mg I was surprised how long i felt mild withdrawal symptoms (particularly joint pain). It lasted a good two weeks, which i suppose isn't surprising given the long half-life of loperamide.

@ChemicallyEnhanced out of curiosity, how much were you taking per day?

Large amounts of blood in the toilet is all bad.... You can't "rough wipe" it to bleed like that. Like I would dig out stools using paper towel as a cover where my nails have scratched a couple times inside before using gloves. You really should go to the doctor if it's anything more then bright red blood... Dark red and you got problems as thats sign of bleeding deep in the intestine rather then just some cuts at the lip passing too big a stool.

Don’t be over hydrating though as that will flush the electrolytes out.
Ya know you are the very first person I have ever *heard say this. 'Cept me. If I know imma do some serious sweatin and hydrating I will take my magic potion: Bottle of water with 1) ~teaspoon 1/2 of sea salt 2) !tablespoon or two of raw honey. 20 bottles of water and 1 x 20oz bottle of water would get me through some of the toughest times. Others swear by salt-pills but I stick to something "natural" if possible that works for me.
Dam, princess
A HUGE kudos. Some-one knows what they talikn' about, ladies and gents. Watch her. ;)
<3
You can't "rough wipe" it to bleed like that.
Another super rare option that is recommended. It works: Softer than paper and is thorough.
Sweeeet jeeeeeebussssssssssssssssssssss we have some good info goins on today. Think I will make it my job-duties of the day as all else is BS atm.

Thanks for the pertinent contributions. :) insert happy dance
One

It is no joke, that's for sure. I ended up stranded in a very rural area for a few months and by the time I arrived in the town I was staying in, I was already getting sick.

The only resource I had was Wal-Mart. I ended up taking upwards of 100mg per day for a few weeks. By the time I left, I was experiencing a significantly more brutal physical withdrawal than the one I had brought with me.

It is my opinion that through mechanisms similar to the Kindling Effect, that I essentially paused my withdrawal and compounded that withdrawal with more Opioids.

TLDR the withdrawal from Loperamide is no joke. In case readers are unaware, Loperamide in high dosages is dangerous and has caused death in multiple instances

[/URL]

Ive been through loperamide withdrawal at 40-50mg. It feels alot like traditional opioid withdrawal but with fewer cognitive withdrawal symptoms (not as much anxiety, depression and dysphoria) but with severe gastrointestinal symptoms (diarrhea in particular). Also has other typical withdrawal symptoms such as joint pain, paresthesia, but with less insomnia, lacrimation and rhinorrhea than traditional opioid withdrawal syndromes.

When i finally tapered off and quit at 4mg I was surprised how long i felt mild withdrawal symptoms (particularly joint pain). It lasted a good two weeks, which i suppose isn't surprising given the long half-life of loperamide.

I think what I've had has just happened to co-incide with the withdrawal. My GP think I've had a very severe IBS attack or possibly colitis. I've gotten some DHC which has helped but I've been in AGONY for 5 days. A lot of typical opioid w/d symptoms have been missing: no sweating, cravings, chills etc. DEFINITELY had that distinct unbearable feeling in the muscles (legs!).
Been officially diagnosed with amoebic dysentery secondary to acute IBS with bacterial colitis as a differential diagnosis. OR food poisoning. So basically they have no idea.
Oddly, transient psychosis has been prominent. I've been bed-ridden with weakness and my body kept forcibly contorting like you see in possession movies or the Suspiria remake.

A whole load of WTF.

That sounds pretty accurate actually.
I was on about 36mg/day, although I'd taken twice that that last 2 days.

I think this highlights the futility of using high doses of a non approved opiate substitute in an attempt to avoid withdrawal. Loperamide isn't designed for this and the doses I've heard quoted are frankly, fuckin ridiculous. All you're doing is delaying the inevitable and causing more gastrointestinal issues and possible heart problems in the long run. Fuck loperamide, use methadone/buprenorphine instead.

I was going to write about how fresh blood is a litttttttle bit better than dark blood in the stool, but you said you had lots of it, so that's bad either way. I don't know if it can cause sepsis, but think about it- if you have the equivalent of a cut or open sore in your digestive tract, it's getting exposed to fecal matter. Not trying to scare you; trying to encourage you to swallow your pride and see a doc. Yes they might have to hit you with a colonoscopy or something.

Anyway, I was going to recommend something called kefir. It's super healthy and has lots of probiotics. All those probiotic yogurts- like Dannon Activia and the like, they're all ripoffs- outrageously expensive. Kefi is like 3 bucks or 4 bucks for a quart. Don't get the plain kind unless you're making smoothies. I just get the flavored kind. It's not too sweet. But you've been doing damage to your intestines with all of this- I look at the probiotics as a way to help your body. There is growing research indicating the link between gut health and mental health. No bullshit, if your gut is in a bad way, your mind will be in a bad way. That's what they're finding, for real. And healthy gut is associated with stronger immune function among other ridiculous but fact-based good things. No bullshit. If you can afford it, get some kefir and chug it.

I think this highlights the futility of using high doses of a non approved opiate substitute in an attempt to avoid withdrawal. Loperamide isn't designed for this and the doses I've heard quoted are frankly, fuckin ridiculous. All you're doing is delaying the inevitable and causing more gastrointestinal issues and possible heart problems in the long run. Fuck loperamide, use methadone/buprenorphine instead.

I would have used anything else IF I had access to it but it was Lope or nothing.
6 days now and my bowels still feel like I've been fisted by The Incredible Hulk.
I will never EVER abuse Lope again. NEVER.

It kind of goes without saying, this is not something to just ignore, A rectal bleed can be caused by overexertion in the case of extreme diarreah or constipation. It can also be caused by overly vigorous wiping or low-quality toilet tissue. If you're losing more than a tablespoon or two of blood, something is VERY wrong in your lower GI tract - best case it's a simple case of haemorrhoids. Worst case you've got a performation somewhere in the colon, rectum, and/or distal part of the large intestine. To differentiate the two, you're gonna want to inspect your butthole somehow to, uhm. assess the damage. A very gentle pass using TP, applied with a blotting motion, can be useful to localize the bleeding if it's haemorrhoids - they are usually external, and are not super concerning, they should heal if kept clean. However if your exterior rear end is free of injury, by process of elimination, the blood is coming from inside your ass. It could be at your sphincter, or worse, deeper in the bowel. That, to me, sounds like an urgent care/ER trip.

I am at a loss for what you can do to treat it yourself. For an internal bleed, aside from staying in a reclined, comfortable seat, being very gentle when wiping (maybe use wet wipes or a bidet), and watchful waiting, there's not much you can do.

External bleeds can be treated by gently cleaning the damaged area wirh soap and warm water. Preparation H (which contains phenylephrine, of all things!) will act as a vasoconstrictor and topical analgesic, reducing blood flow and irritation. Loose fitting underwear also is helpful. If circumstances warrant you could even go commando and let it all hang free.

Rectal bleeding with symptoms of weakness, dizziness, or fainting is associated with at least 1 liter (2 pints) of blood lost is a medical emergency. Seek medical care immediately. Sudden loss of 2 liters (4.2 pints) or more of blood can be dangerous, if not fatal.

I dont think I need to say this, but, just in case, refrain from cramming horse dildos into your butthole if you're experiencing bleeding or discomfort. It's also not very good to have liquid feces near open, bleeding, cuts. I hope I don't need to explain why.
This is all very useful info! Thank you, though I know I am late on this inquiry, one thing I will add from my own personal experience is just in the coloration of the blood, the darker it is then the deeper inside of you it's from. If that makes sense... So when it's a normal bright red (usually a bit darker as mixed with stool) usually a hemorrhoid or busted vessel. But as it gets darker, closer to purple or brown colored that's when it's serious!