• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treatment Off opiates - but was injured. Now what?

dawn081

Greenlighter
Hi Everyone,

I need to start out by saying how grateful I've been for this site over the years! This is the first time I've posted, but for years I've used this site as very valuable source of information!!

So I was hooked on Oxy for about 2 years, this spring I went to the Dr and got put on Suboxone, and things have been going great! I swear that is a miracle drug! It doesn't make me feel high, or crave higher doses, but it does completely control the withdrawal symptoms. In fact, when I last saw my Dr on 11/2 I asked her if she thought it was OK for me to start cutting the dose back a bit. She was on board with that idea, and gave me some instructions to cut back very very slowly....

Well then a few days later, on 11/9 I had a really bad accident and broke my jaw in two places, my nose is also broken and I have stitches in a few various places. My jaw is wired shut for the next 4-6 weeks, and I'm on only liquids.

I told all of the emergency personnel that I was taking Suboxone. I was in the hospital for a total of 4 days, and the Dr's suggested that I stop my Suboxone while I was in need of pain medicine so that it would work properly. So I did that. While I was in the hospital they treated me with morphine for the pain and that worked great.

However they sent me home with liquid Loritab 10/300, here's where the problem starts. They sent me home with a 7 day supply... so I'm sure most of you can guess; it did not last me 7 days. So what did I do? Started reaching out to old contacts... I found a couple of 30's, and that helped for a couple of days. But for the life of me, I can't find anymore.... so I'm taking children's Tylenol, double dose, and children's Ibuprofen, double dose, medical marijuana is legal here, and I got some THC patches, but according to the instructions they only work if you put them directly on the spot that hurts, and they don't really want to stick around the bend in my jaw, I'm not feeling a huge benefit from them, but that could just be because of the location of my injuries.

So, my question is for all of you that are recovering from Opiate addiction, have you ever been seriously injured? How did the Dr's treat your pain? Am I just going to have to live with the pain for the next few weeks? I called the surgeon's office back and they basically said there was nothing they could do for me... So now I'm taking my Suboxone again, and that does help a little with the pain. But, the only comfort I've been able to find is drinking! I'm not normally a big drinker, typically a few a week. But since I work from home, this past week while I've been out of meds, I've been having a morning drink, an afternoon drink and then 1 or2 later in the day... it's the only thing that calms the pain down! I know this is not a healthy thing to do. But the only other thing I can think of to do, is take Benadryl every 6 hours and just try to sleep through the pain!

If any of you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Dawn