• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Relapse Off and on

Tevil19

Greenlighter
Hi everyone,

I have been on and off on amphetamines and valium for the last three years. When I was at my worst, I went to a rehabilitating center, and completed the programme. I know I withdrew from them physically. As time passed on, I found myself getting bored with my life. So then a social enhancer came good in handy(at least so I thought), but then I had to calm the overstimulative effects on the body with valium and so continuing my other addiction. It has never been as bad as before and it is far less frequently. I feel like a ship in the water that will get the idea it will hit shore soon and the next the wind is blowing all wrong. Swaying back and forth. That has to stop.

Now I made a list of benefits and drawbacks about both the drugs.They were both very focused on the negative sides. And I feel like I can find something else, something new , exciting in life that will push the boredom away. For example, go mountainbike in the dunes/mountains. Plus lot
s of exciting jobs also mean you are helping other people, be more in on the action, live life and adapt and learn to survive quickly. I need more excitement in life and I want to use it for good causes :)

I can not keep going on like this. I don't do it on a daily basis. but it affects my whole life.
What do you think?

Thanks and criticism always welcome of course :)

Great insight! I dont think theres much I can add, but as an addict myself it seems pursuing psychologically and physically healthy activities is a great idea! Do u think u can wean off these drugs by yourself? Have a great day!

Boredom is so tough to handle during recovery. I always feel like something as mundane as being bored "shouldn't" impact me on a level deep enough to affect my recovery but it definitely does. Excitement and fulfillment really do tend to lower the appeal of relapses.

So the problem, of course, becomes--what do excitement and fulfillment look like to you and how can you arrange your days so that you experience those feelings?

Personally, this has been an enormous challenge in my own recovery. One option that I've been looking at recently is trying to find volunteer work that would be gratifying. There are so many good organizations out there that need help, and volunteering at many of them can be deeply satisfying. I'm not sure if it covers whatever region you live in, but I've recently been exploring the website https://www.volunteermatch.org . They make it pretty easy to find interesting opportunities.

But volunteering is obviously only one among a million solutions. The tough part (at least for me) is finding sources of fulfillment that I stick to and can really get invested in.