• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Odd reaction with bupe and benadryl last night

watermellon

Bluelighter
Ok so I normally take between 2-3 mg of sub every day for the last 2 months with the exception of using dope here and there. I've never gotten high off sub, why would I when I was used to shooting around a gram a day. I know people say less is more with sub. I've heard it has more of a full agonist effect at low doses (2mg or less) Last night I took about 1mg at midnight cause I couldn't sleep. (I already had my 2mg morning dose that day) Ate 100mg of benadryl the same time I took the sub and also smoked some pretty potent weed.

About 30 min later I started to feel an opiate buzz. I thought to myself it was just the benadryl and weed together but it wasn't, I have plenty of experience with weed and low doses of diphen together and this is not one of those highs. I have not had benadryl and sub at the same time before, could this have caused them to potentate each other along with the weed too? I caught a bit of a nod around 1.5 hours into it and drifted off untill noon today. Im gonna repeat tonight and see if it happens again

I think you just answered your own question mate.lol
People have used antihistamines for ages to bring on an opiate nod and combat nausea, cannabis just adds to this effect.

Yea that makes sense man. I was just surprised because up until last night I had never gotten high off bupe. I'm gonna try again tonight and see if i get the same results. I know I shouldn't try to get high off subs but at least im not sticking myself with a needle anymore. Been 10 days since I last used and hope I can make it another 10

Hmmmm, you have peaked my interest in trying this, gonna have to see if anyone has had similar results with benadryl and subs. I will say that 100 mg of benadryl is a hefty dose for someone if they don't use it a lot. When I have used benadryl to sleep or for allergy related itchiness it just takes 1 25 mg to knock me out cold and I am still groggy from it the next morning. 25-50 mg is recommended dose.

edit: Well I couldn't find any information aside from some idiots who shoot a combination of sub and benadryl and say it gets them high. I guess if taking enough benadryl to make you nod makes you reminisce about a heroin nod then go for it, but I highly doubt it isn't making the suboxone have a more agonizing effect, it is just making you tired.

Last edited:
^
im sure i dont need to tell you or that you have any intention of doing so but ill throw it out there anyway...please dont i.v antihistamines like diphenhydramine, the stuff is corrosive as hell to your veins and will lead to complications like abcesses.

^
im sure i dont need to tell you or that you have any intention of doing so but ill throw it out there anyway...please dont i.v antihistamines like diphenhydramine, the stuff is corrosive as hell to your veins and will lead to complications like abcesses.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, but when I have been to the hospital for various reasons I am sometimes given benadryl via IV.. So does the hospital have a solution of benadryl that they're giving me that somehow doesn't harm my veins etc., or are they just fucking my veins up when they do that?

Thank you, Sincerely, Animoe.

Yes, they have various salts/esters that are made for IV. A capsule you get from a pharmacy isn't of the same caliber... Its real dangerous. I thought about doing it myself y'know? I'm on Suboxone, I have take homes, easy. But man, it's not worth the high, and that's not why I'm on the program.

$0.02

Hmmmm, you have peaked my interest in trying this, gonna have to see if anyone has had similar results with benadryl and subs. I will say that 100 mg of benadryl is a hefty dose for someone if they don't use it a lot. When I have used benadryl to sleep or for allergy related itchiness it just takes 1 25 mg to knock me out cold and I am still groggy from it the next morning. 25-50 mg is recommended dose.

edit: Well I couldn't find any information aside from some idiots who shoot a combination of sub and benadryl and say it gets them high. I guess if taking enough benadryl to make you nod makes you reminisce about a heroin nod then go for it, but I highly doubt it isn't making the suboxone have a more agonizing effect, it is just making you tired.

I have taken benadryl many times with my suboxone and I definitely has an nodding effect and maybe MAYBE a slight body high with it. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you are right about it just making one tired ergo the sedating effects of the benadryl/diphenhydramine.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, but when I have been to the hospital for various reasons I am sometimes given benadryl via IV.. So does the hospital have a solution of benadryl that they're giving me that somehow doesn't harm my veins etc., or are they just fucking my veins up when they do that?

Im sorry i should have more precise in my previous post. If its a specialized preparation made for injection then it should only cause very minor irritation at most but if its prepared from smashed up pills thenthe afore-posted warning applies.

Im sorry i should have more precise in my previous post. If its a specialized preparation made for injection then it should only cause very minor irritation at most but if its prepared from smashed up pills thenthe afore-posted warning applies.

Ah, gotcha. That's what I was thinking was the case.

Thank you for clearing that up, Sincerely, Animoe

Ah, gotcha. That's what I was thinking was the case.

Thank you for clearing that up, Sincerely, Animoe

Your very welcome. :-D

I'm on 125 mg. methadone and I take 100 mg. Benadryl every night before bed. I definitely catch a nod from it and when I've taken Benadryl by itself in the past I never got that. I'm not sure what the interaction between the two drugs does but it definitely gives me a nice nod and helps me fall asleep quickly. ;)

@hustlababy09: if i had to take a guess i would say the interaction is the same as with any other opioid when you mix it with another sedative (like diphenhydramine) i.e added sedation.
Buprenorhine may not feel like the classic opiates like heroin or even opioids like oxycodone but bup is still a drug of the same class and as such carries the same (possible) side effects of other drugs in this class like heavy sedation i.e nodding.
It would be easy to underestimate buprenorphines potency due to its slightly stimulating edge and because it doesnt give the buzz that heroin does but for safetys sake its worth remembering that bup is still a powerful agonist (if only a partial one) at the opiate receptors and is especially risky when mixed with benzos and/or alcohol.

Edit:sorry, i just reread your post and saw that you said methadone not buprenorhine.
Everything from above still applies though, except for the partial agonism part. Methadone is a full agonist and is used to aid opiate Wd and recovery because its very competetive at the opiate receptors (much more so then classic opiates/oids).
All the same warnings as above still apply, if anything, when it comes to mixing alcohol or benzos with methdone its MUCH more risky.
Many deaths attributed to drug overdose each are due to mixing other cns depressants with methdone.

Last edited:
I am on 12mg suboxone that I take every morning. I take 50mg of diphenhydramine at night for sleep. I have never got "high" or extremely tired from the combination. I have really bad sleep issues (probably due to the suboxone) ... Is it safe for me to take 1 extram diphenhydramine at night to help with sleep? With being on this high of a dose of suboxone? I read some where that the combination of the two drugs can cause respiratory issues. Has anyone else taken suboxone (around this dosage) and dyphenhydramine together? What about a higher dose of dyphenhydramine? Thanks. And i take suboxone to get of pain pills...never tryed or used anything else besides pills...