OCD Treatment?

I think this is better suited for The Dark Side forum so let's try this over there. TDS mods, if its not appropriate over there, I apologize but its not suited for OD.

---->TDS

I hope you find some help! Take care

Last edited:
SSRI's are said to be helpful often. You might also want to try CBT (Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy), which is supposed to be very effective, especially in combination with medication.

I was prescribed Anafranil and Luvox for OCD, which resulted in me gaining 50 lbs. in 3 months with little symptom relief. Have taken pretty much every SSRI and SNRI out there to no avail.

What helped me was moving out of my parents' house, which greatly reduced my anxiety levels. OCD is an anxiety disorder, so maybe you should try to find ways to handle stress more effectively in your everyday life. Also, I function much better since incorporating low-dose opiates into my daily medication regimen (along with Prozac for depression). By no means am I suggesting you do that, just sharing what's made a difference for me.

OCD is hell on earth, and anything that can provide relief is a godsend.

Oh, and stimulants like dexedrine are notorious for aggravating conditions like OCD, bipolar mania and psychotic disorders. Use with caution.

What she said..

Dexies took over my whole life and they were hellish to come off.
They can help while the drug is active in your system but hen they wear off after a miserable 4 hours you feel much worse and the insomnia is a killer.

I go through bouts of ocd but my main thing is depression and anxiety.
I have been through every drug there is and the only one that made a real difference to my quality of life was nardil which I had to stop after a year because of massive weight gain.

At 33 years of age having had the experience of being on one med or another for most of my life, I am firmly of the opinion that meds are usefull only to give you a short term pick up of a few months and let you get out of unhealthy thought patterns and environments.
But you do have to work them, you have to throw yourself into new things while you have the strength to do it because the effect does not last....ever.

As for OCD

Some studies show inositol helps (not me)
Many studies show nicotine works and I have found that to be the case.
Smoking ciggerettes and nicotine patchs are a crap way to get it.
I use swedish snus, google buy snus and you will find out how to get it. I love the stuff and best of all, no cancer!

I was prescribed Anafranil and Luvox for OCD, which resulted in me gaining 50 lbs. in 3 months with little symptom relief. Have taken pretty much every SSRI and SNRI out there to no avail.

What helped me was moving out of my parents' house, which greatly reduced my anxiety levels. OCD is an anxiety disorder, so maybe you should try to find ways to handle stress more effectively in your everyday life. Also, I function much better since incorporating low-dose opiates into my daily medication regimen (along with Prozac for depression). By no means am I suggesting you do that, just sharing what's made a difference for me.

OCD is hell on earth, and anything that can provide relief is a godsend.

Oh, and stimulants like dexedrine are notorious for aggravating conditions like OCD, bipolar mania and psychotic disorders. Use with caution.

I JUST moved back into my parent's house on dec 1st because my roommate left and i couldn't find anyone to help cover the $1200/month rent. I've definitely noticed (at least) a ~30% increase in how often i'm depressed, how severe it is, and how easily i can set off a pi-bolar episode. Haven't noticed much with the OCD though because that's just a lingering stress in the back of my mind that has little priority over other things in my life right now.

And my friend that's prescribed dex says it's helped him immensely with his social anxiety and manic depression. On the come-down obviously not, but definitely while it's working.

What she said..

Dexies took over my whole life and they were hellish to come off.
They can help while the drug is active in your system but hen they wear off after a miserable 4 hours you feel much worse and the insomnia is a killer.

I go through bouts of ocd but my main thing is depression and anxiety.
I have been through every drug there is and the only one that made a real difference to my quality of life was nardil which I had to stop after a year because of massive weight gain.

At 33 years of age having had the experience of being on one med or another for most of my life, I am firmly of the opinion that meds are usefull only to give you a short term pick up of a few months and let you get out of unhealthy thought patterns and environments.
But you do have to work them, you have to throw yourself into new things while you have the strength to do it because the effect does not last....ever.

As for OCD

Some studies show inositol helps (not me)
Many studies show nicotine works and I have found that to be the case.
Smoking ciggerettes and nicotine patchs are a crap way to get it.
I use swedish snus, google buy snus and you will find out how to get it. I love the stuff and best of all, no cancer!

I'll see my doc in regards to getting prescribed Nardil. How does it make you feel when you're on them?

Good luck, most doctors have their head up their arse when it comes to MAOI's

When you on it you feel like how you are meant to feel. You feel 100% cured..for a while.
Its a damn hard ride though, read my thread about it on here

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com...andard-for-treatment-of-social-anxiety-82297/

Also, dont go diagnosing yourself with bipolar. Even trained psychiatrists have trouble diagnosing it. Its best to look at all that dsm stuff in the terms of "features" or traits rather than a diagnosis.

My advice to you is to use your OCD traits to your advantage, learn an instrument, exercise intensely. Most of all accept it as a part of yourself. Dont give into it by any means but railing against it only makes it worse in my experience.

As for your friend, using dexies for psychological problems with shoot him in the foot. Wait n see

Alright looks like i got most of the info i need..

if anyone has anything else they wanna add feel free =]

My OCD has flared up again..

FUCK FUCK FUCK!

I went through terrible depression the last few days and actually feel ok today and now it kicks in.

So I pull out my trusty copy of "treatment resistant mood disorders" Medical text book (best money I ever spent)

and I find reference to this study

Potentiation of fluoxetine by aminoglutethimide, an adrenal steroid suppressant, in obsessive-compulsive disorder resistant to SSRIs: a case report.
G Chouinard, M C Bélanger, L Beauclair, S Sultan and B E Murphy
Clinical Psychopharmacology Unit, Allan Memorial Institute, Montreal, Canada.
ABSTRACTBUY THE PDF
Pubmed abstract
Get permission
Buy the PDF
PDF from publisher
PMID: 8888111
1. The role of serotonin in the aetiology of obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) has been established through considerable indirect evidence (Landry and Chouinard, 1990). The strongest evidence comes from the fact that drugs known to be serotonin-selective reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) have been found to be useful in the pharmacotherapy of OCD (Landry and Chouinard, 1990). 2. The authors investigated a new treatment approach by adding an adrenal steroid suppressant to a SSRI, fluoxetine, in the case of a severe obsessive-compulsive patient who was drug-resistant to clomipramine and SSRIs. 3. We found that the combination of aminoglutethimide 250 mg qid and fluoxetine 40 mg die significantly improved the patient's condition. Moreover, during a four and a half year period, each time we tried to decrease either fluoxetine or the steroid suppressant, the patient started to relapse, suggesting that the adrenal steroid suppressant had a potentiating effect on the SSRI.

There is not a lot on OCD in the book as it is not the focus of it, however there is a lot on antiglucocorticoid treatment of depression that seems to be effective in ocd as well