• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Observations: Interactions with Interesting Objects

Troubadour

Bluelighter
This thread is the place to give brief descriptions of interactions with interesting objects: persons, places, or things.

Today, on the first day of the third leg of a two-year, cross-country walk, I saw a banana tree in someone's backyard a few miles outside of Mission, Texas. The bananas were small, green and unripe, and there was only a single bushel growing out of the tree, but it was still very interesting for me, having never seen a banana tree except in photographs.

Then, a mile or so further along the road I encountered a Mexican man sitting in his chair on the side of the road, watching as his sheep fed on the grass along the ditch and up the knoll near the road. I attempted conversation but he told me that he didn't speak English. There was one mature male among the flock and his spiral horns were very interesting indeed. I used my hands to ask the shepherd if I could pet them, but he used his hands to tell me that they would run off if I did(I think that's what he was attempting to communicate).

Last edited:
The first morning in Roma, Tx, as I walked down a rolling hill on Morelos Road, on the way to the local library, I discovered five papaya trees growing in someone's backyard. I love papaya(commonly referred to as 'the food of angels'), but I have never encountered a papaya tree, and never expected to, so seeing them was a great joy. They look like palm trees that have been made fruitful.

In the same town, on the main road, someone had a collection of several stumps of petrified wood. It is so interesting, and nearly strange, to consider that wood can become stone. I can't wait to get to Arizona(the final destination of my journey) and visit the Petrified Forest.

Again, in Roma, on the evening before my departure, just after supper, a flock of fifty or so parrots came ringing across the border of Mexico, over the church whereat I sat. The only other time I had seen them in-person was in the autumn of 2014, in tropical Hollywood, Florida, during the first leg of this cross-country journey west. Then, again in Davie, Florida.(They have huge canals running within those cities, too, and they are full of dog-sized lizards.) We think of parrots as being keen at imitating human voices but if you ever actually hear their real voices, it's actually kind-of annoying. Well, not so much annoying as in irritating the sensibilities, instead, the sound is shrill, and sort of jars the nerves, especially an entire flock.

Today I came across a thread in an online forum about opinions on Observations: Interactions with Interesting Objects. In it I came across an interesting post about an individual who is starting the third leg of a two year cross-country journey. It made me wonder if I too could make such a journey, although mine would most likely be a thru hike on the AT or PCT.

It made me remember that there are many things in life more important than any job.

PS - I truly dislike parrots (although it can be amusing when they learn swear words used in domestic disputes).

The road to Laredo lay upon a land of rolling hills. Upon the crest of every knoll, the great beyond beckoned me with the promise of new beauty, and refreshed my inspiration to walk to what I could only currently behold.

In Pecos there are several sets of deer antlers at the bottom of a tree in the yard I am staying at, and I just love them. If I hold them up to my head, my shadow looks like I am a deer-person.

In Phoenix, Arizona, as I was sitting on a bench outside of a church beside a Red String Flower plant, a hummingbird flew right up beside me, not even a foot a way. He hovered there a few moments, flew a foot away and looked at me for a little while before returning to circle the plant in search of sweet nectar.

That wasn't the first time I have been really close to a hummingbird during my journey. Very early on, nearly two years ago, I was outside a community center in Fort Lawn, South Carolina and one flew up right beside me, mid-air, and just kind of looked at me for a few seconds before flying away.

In between I have seen many, but never as close as those two instances. They are extraordinary creatures.

In Anthem, Arizona(best name for a city ever, by the way) on the way out, I saw half of a rainbow. Then, after I decided to walk through the rain( it ended shortly after I started walking, I saw a full rainbow--it was beautiful. I think I saw Newton's seventh color...if it was pink.

Also, I saw a mountaintop covered with a cloud--that was majestic.

Last edited: