Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

OBE/Astral Projection with/without DXM

JasperTheReckless

Bluelighter
It's been a long time since I've posted here, but I'm still alive n' kicking =]
I have a two part question. Toward the end of the road I've traveled with DXM I finally achieved obe's (my drive for higher and higher doses) however, reflecting on the experience, I don't think gargantuan doses are the key.

My first question: who has had luck with OBE's or Astral projection personally? I generally seek a slow onset, Delsym or the likes to ease into it as opposed to a huge rush; I put on binaurals, and I lay in pitch darkness and slow my breathing, and try to slow my thoughts until I feel myself leave. It feels to me like those last few gears ratcheting as you approach the peak of a Rollercoaster, then I fall through the floor, and as soon as I leave my home, it's just... Peaceful, a sense of understanding without definition, and of "oneness". I've even seen things that left a vivid, and lasting impression on me as an individual.

When I return to myself I feel a little more in control of my mind, less anxious about things out of my control, and much more conscious of my own needs (I'm extremely neglectful towards myself). I often find myself frustrated that I have to go so far up there to achieve this which leads me to my next question.

Second question, where should I look to begin to understand how to do this without the amounts of DXM it currently takes, or, without it at all?

I don't like the load DXM leaves on my body, and I'm confident repeated 2 gram doses are shortening my lifespan, even as infrequently as every two to three months.
For every enlightening experience, I have to set aside 36 hours of intense water drinking and planned meals to avoid delirium and mild to moderate psychosis. I've just about found every nook and cranny of dex in my honest opinion, and now it's time to find a new home.

DXm taught me some things about me that I'd never have learned, but since I have support in my life now, lets see if we can pen Dexter's final chapter.

2 g of delsym is a lot. I took three 5-oz delsym bottles once. That's a bad idea but most bizarre experience of my life! I'd describe the three days following the trip to be much stranger that the trip itself. During the trip I had what you might call an obe but not in the classical sense. I was twisted with respect my body laying on my bed which was floating in the middle of the room. Later though, the body wasn't even there. It was oneness/light alternating with the void. The transition was too much for me. I started to think I had done something wrong, like I had to choose between one of them. Finally, the experience settled and I reached a moment of deeply felt heart that was incredibly vast and nourishing. nice to know its there.

The next three days after that reality as I knew it totally broke down. Not going to get into it, but it was three days of nonstop weirdness. One part magic and one part brain damage. It affected me for a while later. I'd say about a month or so. At first it was positive, but my sleep was affected and eventually I became emotionally dull and detached. Not interested in doing DXM again, but if I do, definitely not at those doses. 900 mg max for me.

Can relate to some of what you're saying and think trying to experience OBEs naturally is good idea. Interestingly, after my DXM experience I became interested in OBE's as well. I can recommend the book "Demystifying the Out-of-Body Experience: A Practical Manual for Exploration and Personal Evolution" by Luis Minero which I used. I met the author too and he was a really cool guy. I've practicied the VELO technique is that book for a while, but well, lost a bit of interest since I could only get so far with it and stopped practicing. I'm generally not prone to lucid dreams or OBEs, and am not particularly sensitive to subtle energy. Some people are naturals with this stuff. Not me. Good luck

I've gone as high as 3.7g, and the problem is the comedown destroys any peace of mind due to the severe effects of the drug itself. You lose your revelations in the chaos of fending off physical and mental chaos. Being that dissociated for two to three days mangles your memory and cognitive functions accordingly.

Higher is NOT the answer.

The only, ONLY positive those doses and comedowns left me with is identifying non-acceptable forms of thinking in everyday life. It gave me a bigger scope to identify when my thoughts veered from logical to emotionally driven, or anxiety/paranoia/psychosis driven. However, you can do that without paying that price. Mindfulness is a priceless tool.

I'd have to say doses of DXM >600mg don't usually have much benefit over lower doses.

Saying that dissociatives make astral projection easier is kind of like saying that alcohol makes dealing with social situations easier. It's true, but you pay a price in your health, and in either case it gets you no closer to being able to achieve what to want to achieve sober.

I'd have to say doses of DXM >600mg don't usually have much benefit over lower doses.

Saying that dissociatives make astral projection easier is kind of like saying that alcohol makes dealing with social situations easier. It's true, but you pay a price in your health, and in either case it gets you no closer to being able to achieve what to want to achieve sober.

I just saw that you were online and I had to reply to one of your comments.

How do you feel about abuse of OTC meds like Delsym or DXM? Have you gotten any insight to problems via their use?

I don't think using drugs to force OBEs is healthy, because it's usually accomplished by forcing open energy centres that would not otherwise open. If you're already naturally having OBEs in a sober state, then it might be a different story because drugs would just enhance that -- but if that's true then you wouldn't need drugs to do it in the first place.

For example, I've done a lot of work on my heart centre over the past 10 years, so much so that when I do MDMA, I only feel slight euphoria from it. My friends all have their hearts blasted open and they suddenly become these highly empathetic, lovely people... but I find I don't change that much. I feel high, but I don't have ecstatic heart experiences because nothing is being forced open anymore. You can only open a door so wide until opening it further becomes redundant.

So... using drugs to force such energetic experiences can only be detrimental, or redundant, in about 95% of cases. There are very few people who can take their drug experiences and integrate them into sober reality. For most, the drug reality and the sober reality exist dualistically, like a schism. I believe this is true even for people who think they're doing powerful, meaningful work while on drugs. If you don't already have that level of openness in a sober state then the work you do in a drug-induced state can only be done in a drug induced state. When you become sober a sort of closing-off happens where you forget where you just were, and because things are no longer forced open it's hard to translate the experience across the two states.

I've met more than one person who used things like LSD, DXM, DMT, etc... to chase an openness in a quasi-addicted way because they couldn't cultivate it otherwise. It's like people who use drugs to have Divine connection while not being able to cultivate that in the sober world.

DXM specifically is a dissociative. I've never found it or ketamine to be conducive to astral projection, which is an abstract experience. It can facilitate OBEs but there's something about them that's not quite the same quality as a genuine, sober OBE. I don't know how to describe the difference. I would not use the terms OBE and Astral Projection interchangeably btw, they are completely different things.

Foreigner, I can't agree more with the concept of "forcing it" that's how it feels.
I chase that connection and gradually lose it over the days following the trip. That almost describes my relationship with ol Dexter entirely. I can never "keep" more than a fragment of what I've experienced.

I do believe I am an open, fairly, at least in regards to the universe as I know it, person. I feel like I could achieve these states sober, but I have
... A significant amount of turmoil in my life that is an almost engulfing preoccupation. I don't know how to clear my mind anywhere near as effectively without. Maybe that's my problem, I need practice?

I've always truly wondered if Obe's on dxm are real, or simply detailed hallucinations fueled by the subconscious' memory of your surroundings.

Last edited:
First off, not only do I think that ultra high DXM doses aren't key to OBEs as I have them falling asleep sober on occasion, but you should really be more careful with the dosage of it. Erowid gives 2500mg as the risk of death category, so I would give a wide berth between the amount that I dosed and the start of that category. I certainly wouldn't take 3.7 grams, as that's well into the danger zone.

For the part about having out of body experiences, yes I have them occasionally while falling asleep naturally. The first time I was falling asleep and I found myself just in my apartment and looking back at my body in bed! At first, I was shocked, believing that I must have died in the night 8o but just got used to the idea because if I was dead what could I have done about it? Prior to that, I had another OBE but didn't see myself in bed as I was looking up the whole time (it was only around 10 seconds). My third OBE, I consumed a small amount of cannabis, and I was falling asleep. It happened involuntarily this time, I was literally flying out of my body which freaked me out big time at first 8o There were all sorts of strange hieroglyphic symbols on the walls and the room started tilting..... and my soul was just flying out of my body. Then, I had a couple of other OBEs after college, where I saw myself in my body. These times, I knew I was safe during the experience, as it had happened before. However, when I left my house in the OBE, it just became an ordinary lucid dream. I am an avid lucid dreamer so this happens from time to time to me while sober. Never experienced it with DXM, as I haven't done DXM very much. Just once at a dose slightly north of 200 mg.