• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Obama Shortens Prison Sentences for 61 Drug Offenders

avcpl

Bluelighter
President Barack Obama commuted the prison sentences of 61 drug offenders on Wednesday including more than a third serving life sentences, working to give new energy to calls for overhauling the U.S. criminal justice system.

All of the inmates are serving time for drug possession, intent to sell or related crimes. Most are nonviolent offenders, although a few were also charged with firearms violations. Obama's commutation shortens their sentences, with most of the inmates set to be released on July 28.

Obama, in a letter to the inmates receiving commutations, said the presidential power to grand commutations and pardons "embodies the basic belief in our democracy that people deserve a second chance after having made a mistake in their lives that led to a conviction under our laws."

One of the inmates, Jesse Webster of Chicago, is serving a life term for intent to sell cocaine and filing false tax returns. Another, Byron McDade of Bowie, Maryland, got 27 years for cocaine-related charges as well. In both cases, judges in the cases later said publicly it was too harsh, though sentencing guidelines often prevent judges from being more lenient. Webster and McDade will both be released later this year.

Most are nonviolent offenders, although a few also faced firearms charges. Nabar Criam of Brooklyn, New York, was sentenced to 15 years for possession of crack cocaine with intent to distribute, but received an additional charge for having a gun on hand during a drug trafficking crime.

The latest tranche of commutations brings to 248 the total number of inmates whose sentences Obama has commuted — more than the past six presidents combined, the White House said. The pace of commutations and the rarer use of pardons are expected to increase as the end of Obama's presidency nears.

more:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/obama-shortens-prison-sentences-61-drug-offenders-38028490

Out of how many million in jail? Token gesture.

of course, but as it says, he's commuted more sentences than the last SIX presidents combined already with more (probably much more) by the end of his term. If you were the one getting commuted you'd be pretty damn grateful. How many drug offenders you think Trump would commute? or Cruz?

It's a step in the right direction and gets people talking and accepting.

It's a step in the right direction and gets people talking and accepting.

A step in the right direction is what somebody says when there is hardly an progress at all. Otherwise they wouldn't have to make the statement because the step would be blatantly obvious! If Hitler decided to pardon 61 jews would you be thanking him for a step in the right direction? You mention Trump and Cruz this issue isn't about Republican vs. Democrat its about right and wrong. I'm not mad at Obama for being a democrat I'm mad at him for pussy footing around with one of the biggest issues of our time.

Pro bono legal project Clemency Project 2014 was involved with clemency applications for 25 of the people granted commutations. “With so many people waking up each day with the hope that they too will find mercy and redemption, I hope that today’s grants portend ever more grants over the remaining ten months left in President Obama’s term,” said Cynthia W Roseberry, project manager for Clemency Project 2014, in a statement.

The Wednesday announcement marked the first clemency grants Obama issued since December, when he granted the largest set of commutations in his presidency yet, 95 federal prisoners and two pardons. With that move, he had reduced more sentences than any of the last six presidents, combined.

He has now commuted the sentences of 245 people.

But the announcement was part of a White House effort announced in 2014 that was expected to reduce the sentences of thousands of drug offenders. In January, the US pardon attorney responsible for overseeing the process for granting clemency resigned, stating in a letter obtained by USA Today that she could not complete her job effectively because of a lack of US justice department resources.

“Given that I have been instructed to set aside thousands of petitions for pardon and traditional commutation, I cannot fulfill my responsibilities,” Deborah Leff wrote in her resignation letter.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/30/obama-commutes-prison-sentences-drug-offenders