• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

NZ - New legal high leaves teens violently ill

poledriver

Bluelighter
NZ - New legal high leaves teens violently ill

Two teenagers say a new legal high they smoked contained ecstasy - and left them vomiting with no control over their muscles or bodily functions.

In the week after they used the synthetic cannabis Kryptonite they say they experienced hallucinations, could not eat or sleep and could not distinguish between hot and cold water.

Matt Gibson, 18, and Storm Ryan, 17, of Mount Maunganui, spoke exclusively to the Bay of Plenty Times about their "scary" experience to warn others and in an effort to get the drug off shop shelves.

The couple tried Kryptonite after a friend's recommendation but after their experience believe it could kill.

"When it wears off, it's the worst thing," Matt said.

"We were throwing up ... We couldn't control going to the bathroom. We had panic attacks."

The couple said they smoked the drug for 14 days and since they stopped last Wednesday they had experienced hallucinations, could not eat or sleep and no longer had heat sensory functions to tell what temperature the shower water was.

"I couldn't control anything with myself. I was screaming at the top of my lungs, slamming my hands and feet and arms into the kitchen floor. It was scary," Matt said.

Storm said they could smell the Kryptonite coming out of their pores.

"It was terrible. You could smell it on the towels we'd used in the bathroom. We'd throw up at the smell of it."

The couple went to Tauranga Hospital on Good Friday and were given valium.

Discharge papers show they were diagnosed with "ecstasy poisoning".

"But we haven't taken any ecstasy. It's come from this," Storm said, gesturing to a Kryptonite packet they plan to get tested.

The couple had previously tried Kronic and K2 but said Kryptonite was "10 times stronger".

Matt's mother, Kerry Gibson, said she and her husband did not sleep for five days because the young pair would wake up screaming, walk around the house, and talk nonsense with no recollection of their episodes.

Kryptonite costs about $20 a bag. The couple say they bought their Kryptonite from Mount Maunganui adult store A Tease. The store's owner did not return Bay of Plenty Times calls.

The drug has no ingredients list.

Health Board youth alcohol and drug clinician David Gilmour believed it was possible ecstasy was used in Kryptonite and other synthetic cannabis products, which had sent several young Tauranga people to hospital with psychosis.

In August, new legislation will ban the sale of psychoactive substances such as legal highs unless approved by a regulator.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10875364

I wonder why the media keep mentioning legal highs. ;)

Gotta keep the kids interested somehow. I'm sure this shops sales went up after this was released, unless the guy was smart and stop selling that shit and used the money he made to get a lawyer.

Seriously, idk why places keep trying to sell this kind of shit. Sure it makes you fucking bank at first. But once something like this happens kiss it all goodbye. That's exactly what happened to the smoke shop in my city. They opened 4 stores within a year and just like that it was all gone. It was really sad actually :( I knew everyone who worked there and they were all the most friendly people.

Ecstasy poisoning? They must have went to an awful hospital.

The users were a little irresponsible here seeing as they went on a 14 day binge without knowing what they were taking.

I have heard a very similar story in my area in NC. These kids smoked some incense from a sex shop. One kid goes on TV and basically says he sucked a dude off thru a glory hole for some. Lost 15 lbs from wds cuz he cant eat or sleep. I dunno if I buy that whole story. But then again people with no drug tolerance say they have strong experiences. In my personal experience the most weight I lost coming off drugs was ten lbs and I was using alot of smack, oxy, cough syrup, speed, benzos, ambien, barbituates and morphine.(man I had a nasty habit back then) I was using an especially large amount because I was upset over a woman leaving me and I was planning on asking her to marry me... But anyways I was quite beside myself that some straight male would go on the local news and say he sucked cock for incense. I would hate to be forever known as the incense cock-sucker.

Last edited:
Health Board youth alcohol and drug clinician David Gilmour believed it was possible ecstasy was used in Kryptonite and other synthetic cannabis products,

hrmm really?

I can't help but LOL ROFL HAHAHA at the ecstasy comment, holy christ haha.
I know!! Let's make a new legal high to get around existing drug laws!! But hey! Let's put one of the most illegal compunds in (which isn't supposed to be smoked) just for shits and giggles! I mean what's the difference between THC and MDMA?...
Hahahaha I love these scare tactics, funny thing is though that the public would eat this up