• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Nutmeg/Myristicin Info,Effects,Dosage

TioW42

Greenlighter
Myristicin

History

Nutmeg has historically been used in Egypt as a surrogate for hashish. It has also been used in India, either chewed, or snuffed with tobacco, or added to betel chew, but little information is available on these practices (Schultes & Hofmann 1992).

Nutmeg was introduced first as a spice into Europe, and later as a medicine. The Europeans remained ignorant of the inebriating properties of this most popular of spices for several centuries.

The first nutmeg inebriation on record was reported in 1576 when a pregnant English woman became delirious after eating between ten and twelve nutmegs (Stein et al. 2001). Had it not been for the rumors of nutmeg's efficaciousness as an abortifacient, the psychoactive properties of nutmeg may have remained unknown for a long time. Occasional case notes of nutmeg poisoning were published subsequently, but nutmeg's inebriating qualities remained largely obscure and unexplored.

In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, nutmeg again became popular as an abortifacient. The tales of nutmeg poisoning increased, and many more case studies were reported. This helped to paint a clearer picture of the actions and effects of nutmeg. It is not certain how nutmeg came to be a recreational drug, but it appears to have its origins in the early twentieth century when its use emerged in United States' prisons as an alternative to marijuana and other illicit substances. Some authors suggest that use of nutmeg as a narcotic didn't emerge until after World War II. However, the report by Malcolm X that there was a nutmeg culture at Charlestown State Prison in 1946 suggests that prisoners had already been keen to the properties of nutmeg for some time. Malcolm X described his experiences with nutmeg in his autobiography, published in 1965:

"I first got high in Charlestown on nutmeg. My cellmate was among at least a hundred nutmeg men who, for money or cigarettes, bought from kitchen worker inmates penny matchboxes full of stolen nutmeg. I grabbed a box as though it were a pound of heavy drugs. Stirred into a glass of cold water, a penny matchbox full of nutmeg had the kick of three or four reefers (Haley 1965)."

Malcolm X's autobiography sparked interest in nutmeg's narcotic properties within the counter-culture--interest that has carried through to the present day. The use of nutmeg in prisons eventually became so widespread that nutmeg was ultimately removed from prison kitchens.

The fact that nutmeg was cheap and legal made the narcotic popular among prisoners, seamen, soldiers, and struggling musicians. Jazz saxophonist Charlie Parker reportedly knew about the narcotic properties of nutmeg, and would take the ground spice in Coca-Cola or milk (Rudgley 199.

While many have experimented with nutmeg since the 1960s, it remains viewed as a second-class drug, deserving of little attention.

Effects

Postive:

- Mood lift/Euphoria

- Dream like state

- Closed eye visuals

- Mild open eye visuals

- Relaxation

- Psychedelia/Psychedelic mind state

- Feelings of intoxication

- Warm feeling through body/Pleasant body high

- Increased appreciation of music

- Some report empathogen qualities

- Some report feelings of creativity, philosophical/insightful thinking, feeling spiritual

- Abstract Thinking

- Increased sex drive

- Increased giggling and laughing

Neutral:

- Pupil dilation

- Unusual thought and speech patterns, shifts in consciousness

- Sedation

- Visual distortion

- Increased heart rate

- Impaired memory

- Impaired motor skills

- Dissociation

- Drowsiness

- Hallucinations

- High/intoxicated appearance

Negative:

- Nausea

- Vomiting

- Headache

- Dry mouth

- Bloodshot eyes

- Anxiety, paranoia, or panic attacks

- Confusion

- Racing heart beat at high doses

- Delirium at high doses/overdose

- Delusions and strong hallucinations at high doses

- Possible seizures/convulsions at high doses

Duration

Onset - Hours 1-4: The major effects of nutmeg generally do not take effect until the fourth hour after ingestion. However, nutmeg produces subtle effects within the first hour, and the effects rise in waves over the next three hours until inebriation takes hold. These effects are often written off as placebo due to their mild nature, but the changes are noticeably distinct. Generally these threshold effects are experienced as a combination of feeling energetic and yet markedly relaxed at the same time. One may perceive changes in pressure in the head, changes which are usually interpreted as either light-headedness or the beginnings of a headache. The effects experienced in this stage are otherwise similar to those caused by a pint or two of good beer, depending on dosage.

Coming Up - Hours 4-8: The truly inebriating properties of nutmeg generally take hold within the fourth or fifth hour following consumption. By this time cotton mouth has set in and the eyes have become bloodshot. The inebriation takes on a strong alcohol/marijuana-like buzz, which continues to rise in waves, and concentration becomes difficult. The senses become enhanced and hilarity tends to set in. This is followed by the onset of closed-eye visuals, time distortion, and the beginnings of slurred speech. Reality may take on a dream-like nature during this stage.

Peak - Hours 8-12: The peak generally sets in around the eighth or ninth hour following ingestion and usually continues for three or four hours. At this point the user may experience auditory hallucinations, closed-eye visuals and possibly mild open-eye visuals, including walls breathing and disturbances in the peripheral vision. The user's speech may become slurred and he or she may experience loss of coordination similar to drunkenness.

End of Peak - Hours 13-18: Around the thirteenth hour it usually becomes apparent that the peak is over and the user might feel a slight letting up in the effects. The effects decrease slowly, and usually do so in waves, much like the onset.

Comedown - Hours 19-25: By hour nineteen the main inebriating effects of nutmeg have generally worn off. The user will probably still feel moderately stoned for the next seven or eight hours. Some report feeling weak and tired by this point in the trip. Those who sleep during this stage may find their dreams to be exceptionally vivid and easy to recall upon waking. Hangover effects may set in for those who forget to remain hydrated.

Afterglow - Hours 26-32: By hour thirty-two most users will be more or less back to baseline. The user will likely continue to feel relaxed, perhaps slightly stoned, and may continue to experience difficulty concentrating for another day or two.

Dosage

Nutmeg (Whole nuts) Oral dose
Threshold: 5 grams
Light: 5-10 grams
Common: 10-20 grams
Strong: 20-25 grams
Heavy: 25+ grams

Never take more than 25 grams in my and a lot of people's experience 25 grams seems to be the peak dose for full effects so you don't get any higher. A good first time dose would be 15g or 10g if your a light weight or sensitive to drugs. Get the whole nuts not the powder that won't work.

Risks
- If the dose is high enough it can kill you but the LD50 is still very high though and there's only been 1 case of nutmeg poisoning but the women was over 60 and took rohypnols so more likely she died of respiratory depression since both work on the CNS.
- This might be bad for people who has heart problems soon it causes a faster heart beat
- Combining this with other drugs can be dangerous

Legal Status
Nutmeg is legal to buy, sell, and possess as general spice and food all around the world

My opinion on Myristicin
I personally enjoy it only if the dose is right. I always see people having a bad time on this reading the erowid trip reports and the reason why they had a bad time because they took a way too high dose and weren't prepared for the effects. A lot of them always mention how they thought it was "bullshit" (because nutmeg takes forever to kick in) and normally sleep it out and wake up terrified. The average dose I read on these bad trips are mainly over 25g which is very high. If you want to enjoy the experience take 15g it's the perfect dose if you want an enjoyable experience and it's also good for first time users

Last edited:
Interesting that you should post this shortly before I sign up for bluelight!

This is my first post here. So, hello to you all.

I've investigated nutmeg for some time now, but I never ate plain powdered nutmeg. My best experiences have come from using a tincture, made using ~85% ethanol.

I've also found that various other culinary substances enhance the effects of nutmeg, or even rekindle the effects the following day.

Whole egg has a potentiating effect - it's quite possible that eggnog was invented for this very reason, IMO.

It seems to be the case that individual metabolism plays an important role in whether nutmeg's effects are experienced or not (besides the quality of the nutmeg ingested).

Furthermore, it's likely that elemicin has at least as much responsibility for the activity as myristicin, and safrole is likely to play a part too.

I'm currently working on discerning a subjective difference between nutmeg essential oil and the tincture, as this would give some indication as to whether there are any non-volatile compounds contributing to the psychoactive effect of nutmeg. The effects of nutmeg tincture are discernible at such preposterously low doses that I find it hard to believe there are no other compounds contributing to the psychoactive effect besides myristicin, elemicin and safrole.

I'm a teeny bit concerned that the OP fails to mention that regular consumption of large quantities of nutmeg has been shown to cause fatty deposits on the liver, as well as damage to the kidneys and the heart. The liver damage is thought to be mostly due to trimyristin, although I'm not entirely convinced that this is the sole factor in the long-term toxicity of nutmeg. The rest of the post is good, though. I can confirm that most of the positive and neutral effects are experienced through the use of nutmeg tincture, but the negative effects are greatly reduced, plus the onset is much quicker.

I have tried alot of drugs but Nutmeg is up there with Datura in terms of drugs i wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. The effects seem very unpleasant and being fucked up in a bad way for days does not sound fun.

I have tried alot of drugs but Nutmeg is up there with Datura in terms of drugs i wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. The effects seem very unpleasant and being fucked up in a bad way for days does not sound fun.
You probably took a high dose should of took lower that's why people have bad experiences with them

I'm a teeny bit concerned that the OP fails to mention that regular consumption of large quantities of nutmeg has been shown to cause fatty deposits on the liver, as well as damage to the kidneys and the heart. The liver damage is thought to be mostly due to trimyristin, although I'm not entirely convinced that this is the sole factor in the long-term toxicity of nutmeg. The rest of the post is good, though. I can confirm that most of the positive and neutral effects are experienced through the use of nutmeg tincture, but the negative effects are greatly reduced, plus the onset is much quicker.

Actually no that's quite untrue there's been lot's of cases of people heading to the emrgency room on nutmeg and doctors did not find any abnormalities on organs with doses over 30g

Never took Nutmeg or Datura and from what i have read about them i don't want either.

Fine. Nobody's making you take nutmeg. (Nutmeg + datura might actually be fun AT THE RIGHT DOSE!! - i.e. very small to zero...)

For some people, nutmeg - dosed correctly and in the right form - has its merits. Other people are not so fortunate with their metabolism.

I won't spell out the merits, or the methods, here. Anyone with a brain can find out what they need to know if they're sincerely interested in exploring nutmeg.

The more people who write off nutmeg as an horrific waste of time, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Actually no that's quite untrue there's been lot's of cases of people heading to the emrgency room on nutmeg and doctors did not find any abnormalities on organs with doses over 30g

References?

'Heading to the emergency room on 30g' for one thing is not likely to be repeated, and is not the same as regular consumption of lesser amounts.
Nutmeg contains trimyristin and has been shown to cause fatty deposits on the liver with excessive use. If you can show me that this is some kind of myth, I'd be delighted.

References?

'Heading to the emergency room on 30g' for one thing is not likely to be repeated, and is not the same as regular consumption of lesser amounts.
Nutmeg contains trimyristin and has been shown to cause fatty deposits on the liver with excessive use. If you can show me that this is some kind of myth, I'd be delighted.

Nutmeg actually can be hepatoprotective on the liver so it's a really neutral reaction or maybe the goods outweigh the bad but If I had to be honest alcohol is probably worst for your liver and plus nutmeg isn't something you would do every day. Don't get me started when people say myristicin causes cancer when that's really ignorant and the people who say this has never tried nutmeg but myristicin has been known to fight serveral types of cancer. Here's the reference.

"There are numerous reports of accidental poisonings and emergency room visits that help provide some extra information. In poisoning cases vitals are taken and organs are checked and monitored for abnormalities. Several case studies merit brief mention. The Journal of Internal Medicine reported on the case of a thirty-two-year-old man who sought emergency room care after ingesting seven grams of ground nutmeg (Sjoholm et al. 1998). The hospital ran tests on the man and found that his blood count, electrolyte levels, calcium and liver enzymes were all within normal ranges. The Journal of Clinical Toxicology also reported on a nutmeg poisoning case involving a thirteen-year-old who had ingested 15-25 grams of nutmeg (Sangalli & Chiang 2000). Tests conducted on the boy showed that electrolyte levels, renal and liver function, urinalysis, hematology, and a pelvic ultrasound all returned without abnormality. Almost all cases of nutmeg poisoning are resolved without note and most emergency room visits are accounted for by accidental poisonings or by panic reactions."

I'm glad we're getting a bit more thorough here!

Nutmeg actually can be hepatoprotective on the liver
Tautology asides, where did you find this information?

I agree with you that alcohol is clearly more of an issue as regards hepatotoxicity. What is it with this oft-repeated assertion that overuse of nutmeg leads to fatty deposits on the liver, kidney damage and cardiac damage? Were the cases of suspected nutmeg-related damage corrected against alcohol and other toxic factors? This is a chronic toxicity issue, rather than the acute toxicity cases that you cite. Clearly, regardless of what you might do some people will take nutmeg more than, e.g., once a month..

Some people might say myristicin causes cancer but I didn't. It's true that myristicin has anti-cancer properties, but that's not the same as complete nutmeg powder. Trimyristin is still an issue in this case, although it doesn't appear to cause many problems when ingested in the form of coconut oil. And then there's the case of the safrole-fed rats...

Furthermore, nutmeg contains alkaloids of unknown human toxicity/toxicology, but I doubt they've much of a role in the case of acute nutmeg toxicity.

I find nutmeg intriguing as it still seems to provide us with so many unknowns.