• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Novel opioid 3-Methylbutyrfentanyl

Potency based on morphines analgesia is not the most useful identifier anyway, especially for recreational users who just take them for fun. Some opioids are more sedating than others (especially true with fentanyl derivatives), have different bioavailability and duration, dosage varies so heavily depending on tolerance and combination with other drugs and what not.

oh, it's chiral, so there's actually 2 isomers! I bet one is way more active than the other.

It's chiral and has 2 centers, so it has 4 steroisomers
Both centers are on cyclohexane ring, one is methyl and another is the N-phenyl butylamido group.

Butyrfentanyl is supposed to be much more euphoric than fentanyl. No personal experience with it though.

It wouldn't be hard to be much more euphoric then Fentanyl. It is the only strong Opioid i have taken that packs absolutely 0 euphoria. Hell for euphoria purposes id rather 30mg's of Oxycodone ffs which these days is nothing for me. I can't see any super strong Fent analog being anymore euphoric really. One thing i noticed about Fentanyl as well was that i would sometimes nod out without warning if i took a strong dose of a sedating Benzo like Temazepam with it. I have heard this effect is even more common with stronger Fent analogs in which case i can see alot of people being found as blue as a smurf face down on the table they where snorting the Fent analog powder off.

Potency is entirely unrelated to euphoria. I'm not sure which fentanyl derivatives are supposed to be the most recreational ones, maybe beta-hydroxy?

Beta-OH? Best must be pharaohfentanyl ;)
No but seriously I think BF is mentioned as relatively euphoric/recreative for a fent analogue.

Potency is entirely unrelated to euphoria. I'm not sure which fentanyl derivatives are supposed to be the most recreational ones, maybe beta-hydroxy?

I am not so sure about this. I would instead suggest that the difference in qualitative euphoric effects stems from the differing affinities at opioid receptor subtypes, duration, and even other non-opioid binding targets. However, a strong and selective mu agonist is going to result in more euphoria than a weaker one in general.

I would instead suggest that the difference in qualitative euphoric effects stems from the differing affinities at opioid receptor subtypes, duration, and even other non-opioid binding targets.

Well yeah, that's quite obvious. But potency (resulting in the amount of drug taken, unrelated to its binding affinities, maybe we have a slight misunderstanding here?) is kinda irrelevant. Is LSD 200x more euporic than psilocin because of its potency? If only that was true lol

Opioid euphoria comes from activation of dopaminergic pathways in the VTeg and NAc, it's not strictly implied for just any opioid I think even when it selectively agonizes mu (or in tandem with delta or one of the other, iirc that was understood to be a good recipe).
I'm not personally into the fentanyl world as I have said, but I do read now and then that fentanyl while highly potent is not considered high rank euphoric for an opioid. I definitely don't have the answer as to how SAR + neuro + chem factor in together, and what exactly fentanyl doesn't activate that would otherwise have led to a dopaminergic pathway stimulation...

But suffice to say, euphoria is a pretty complex story in this instance, and is as roi said pretty much unrelated to potency as "seemingly paradoxically" demonstrated by fentanyl.

Opioid euphoria comes from activation of dopaminergic pathways in the VTeg and NAc, it's not strictly implied for just any opioid I think even when it selectively agonizes mu (or in tandem with delta or one of the other, iirc that was understood to be a good recipe).
I'm not personally into the fentanyl world as I have said, but I do read now and then that fentanyl while highly potent is not considered high rank euphoric for an opioid. I definitely don't have the answer as to how SAR + neuro + chem factor in together, and what exactly fentanyl doesn't activate that would otherwise have led to a dopaminergic pathway stimulation...

But suffice to say, euphoria is a pretty complex story in this instance, and is as roi said pretty much unrelated to potency as "seemingly paradoxically" demonstrated by fentanyl.

I do recall many I've known IRL to denote the onset-rush as the most euphoric property specific to fentanyl, likely I would reason being a factor mainly due to its intensity (lacking as it does the histamine effect from morphine kinds; also however the individual referencing said preference in question's partner preferred the rush of dilaudid; equally of a lighter, though possibly somewhat more retained, itchy histamine quality to it)

The point was not that fentanyl isn't euphoric, I'm sure it can be although opinions are divided and some find it devoid, lacking and not as warm as many opiates - possibly the reason might be extra serotonergic involvement for the latter?
But if you just take a sample of opinions, it's clearly not particularly euphoric ergo the idea that the euphoria must be related to potency is flawed.

If what was meant was that euphoria comes with the effects and the effects are potency-dependent then obviously yes in absolute terms you get more euphoric potential as the potency goes up.

The relative euphoria is much more interesting. It's probably terribly hard to isolate opioid analgesia from euphoria [meaning virtually impossible in this era, but nobody can speak for the next], but I personally think something like zolpidem being more selective than benzo's is pretty brilliant if you ignore the false claims that it comes with none of the harm.

Last edited:
The point was not that fentanyl isn't euphoric

Nor was my response an argument against the content of your statement, but rather the 'colder, crisper' opioid high is often cited as containing the majority of its particular flavor of opioid euphoria within what is distinct among its class of them and is that I've seen alluded to keeping in line with regard to the uncommon subjective onset intensity; regardless of how 'clean' of an analgesia it provides overall in its specific effect.

Butter fentanyl is euphoric though and gives a warm heroin like rush

Butter fentanyl is euphoric though and gives a warm heroin like rush

When it comes to pre-bagged "butter" pop-corn with required shelf-life consideration resulting in it having been given *artificial "butter"-flavor* the latter has always made me sick in the long run, and has never gotten me very 'well'. Just ask Orvinol Reddenbacher.;-j ;-P