• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Question Novel about teens: interesting for grownups?

lecroute

Bluelighter
What would a novel with young teen (14/15) protagonists need to be interesting for you as an adult?
I'm not talking about the Harry Potter type of thing, but something that because of the topic (drugs, violence, philosophy) and language couldn't be targeted to young readers.
Think about a book that if it were an album, it would have the "Parental advice" label stuck to it.
Would the fact that the main characters are very young would keep you from reading it?

No, the presence of young people would not, but the topics might.

The real world is filled with drugs, violence, and the use of "philosophy to promote doing whatever one wants" and are common in the real world already. I am not interested at all in any such "representation of the way the world is" in any of my media, be it novel, music, games or movies and television/streaming. This type of content is "low lying fruit " in terms of creating interpersonal communication and I would hope authors of this type of media would work a bit harder and try to create and share something more original and even possibly uplifting to the human spirit.

Just my $.02 :cool:

It would be fantasy, and in this, the philosphical topics rather metaphysical in character. The main focus wouldn't be on violence/drugs/real-world drama, but the setting and side story would contain those elements (not only).
What the story won't contain is a lot of romance/sex (which seems to be the to-go things for young readers, it seems).
Just my $.02 :cool:
Everything counts when it comes to feedback.
Just not sure right now if to take that novel project or not because I'm not sure if it would resonate with readers much older than the main characters of the story.

Young Adult is one of my fave genres! I‘ll read about characters of any age provided they are interesting & the story is compelling, the author writes well etc.

I don’t much enjoy contemporary fiction though. I like a fantasy/scifi element or historical setting.

There are no taboo topics for me, but I find war very dull.

If you need an editor I’m your girl. :)

If you need an editor I’m your girl.
I don't write them myself, not the originals anyway.
Though I do provide some input now and then, I just help with the technical stuff.
But should this become something I'll help with, I might take you up on this.

Teen books just look lame, my sister used to read them, and they looked stupid.

I'm sorry I thought I already had put in my $,02; but that having been said, I guess a bit of clarity might be helpful. 👍 Remember, just my $.02 ;)

Basically no topics you mentioned are taboo, let me be clear; however they are best being supportive rather the focus of the work. Character development and an engaging plot are very helpful to gain and hold a readers attention can make the difference between something that someone struggles to finish and a novel that you don't want to put down and end up staying up way longer than one intended to because one is so absorbed. The protagonist should have a struggle/obstacles that are rich and engaging, often there might be a tragic flaw that the protagonist must overcome in order to attain their goal. Character interaction and a deep and interesting plot helps maintain "suspension of disbelief" and draws the reader into the world the writer creates. The more consistent this world is the more relatable this world becomes, the more real it becomes in the mind of the reader even if he world may be counter to the world we experience in the real world. Novel means "new" so make it fresh and different, best not repeat commonly used themes in the genre.

The novel should ideally be something that draws the reader into the life of the protagonist and their struggle. Any of the topics you mention might be part of this, but they should not be the focal point or something the reader should be able to see or count as the writer ticking off boxes in a list. Not because the subjects may or might not taboo, but simply because it works against the suspension of disbelief the author tries so hard to establish and maintain.

But that's just been my struggle in storytelling. It's a very personal skill set, I hope you find some interesting food for thought in my rambling. :cool:

I'm sorry I thought I already had put in my $,02;
Oh, I found your frost answer worth a lot more than $ .02! My last comment was a thought about the one before that. I managed to find valuable information in that, too.

The characters are colorful enough, and they drift between "out" world where they gave their typical teen troubles, and then this other world they can visit. And where they have to make choices they aren't prepared to make. I haven't read the second more detailed outline yet but I guess there will be still a lot to fill in.

But that's just been my struggle in storytelling. It's a very personal skill set, I hope you find some interesting food for thought in my rambling. :cool:
Do you write stories?
And yes, I def found.food in your rambling :)