non steroid supplements

heh, but u know what i mean, its not my cup of tea ;)

So heres my current diet for the past week...

wake up, take vitamins, and omega's..

cup of tea with full fat milk
cerial with full fat milk
bacon sandwhich - 3 rashes with butter.

snacks such as toast, crisps up until dinner..

dinner usually red meats full of carbs, bolognaise for example..

the reason i havent been eating lunch is because i have had alot of biltong given to me, well i did, its all gone now, which is dry meat, this is full of protein, and i was usually full at lunch any how..

im sure there could be much more added to my diet, such as a larger lunch, but at current im still at home and always getting moaned at for eating all the food!!!!

i think i might get some whey protein powder and make shakes with that and bananna or something similar, i could drink this daily after my daily work out...

Also i have a new plan which is:

everyday 3x, with 5-10 min breaks
20x bench press with 27 KG
20x butterflies with 5kg
20x bicep curls with dumbells @ 5 kg
20x crunches
20x punches to the air, @ 5 kg with dumbells - dont know its true name 8)
i do this 3 times a day, generally all within 45 mins...

i think i will continue to do this everyday just for toning, and then once a week, perhaps sunday's i will do a pyramid scheme:

Bench Press

20x 20kg
15x 25kg
10x 30kg
10x 35kg
10x 40kg
10x 45kg
10x 50kg (generally only manage to 6 at this point due to lactic shock)

and then i do the same thing but in reverse, this is for both toning and muscle gain.

When i finally am happy that my shoulders and arms are increasing insize i will increase the number of crunches and start work on legs/lower back...

Do you think this diet and this routine is ok for now? of course its not perfect and needs ALOT of tweeking, but i am right in thinking that this routine will definately build me up??

Thanks

Toke

It seems weird, that an ecto (someone tall and thin who has trouble gaining any weight) has trouble getting in enough food, as they usually can eat a lot without getting full. You still arent even getting close to enough calories to be gaining weight on. I would add the drink that I posted near the top of this thread. It shouldnt cost much to do and will add plenty of calories and protein. You can even switch the flax seed oil with olive oil if it is easier to find and cheaper for you.

It seems as though you are doing a type of workout called circuit training. Not a bad idea if time is an issue. Also, the punches to the air are usually called shoulder presses. I would do the whole workout three to four times a week and not everyday, as that is to much. Your muscles grow while you are resting, not while you are working out. It is very hard to lose fat (tone) and gain muscle at the same time, so dont be expecting both. It takes high calories to gain weight and lower calories to tone, so it makes it hard to do both at the same time.

i understand, but this workout is not making my arms that tired the next day...

im sure im not eating nearly enough what i should be, but im not the one who buys the food my mum is, and she gets really anoyed with it all...

considering i already have a low body fat would it really matter? i mean i want to tone up, but wont that come with building the muscle?

ok screw it for now, i will try and write up a good work out, and let you know... cool cool :D

i just dont seem to be able to make one... :S

like i want upper body strengh, so i know these exercises:

butterflies
benchpress's
pull ups
shoulder extensions
bicep curls

i jus dont know what else to do???

i guess i will continue with my training and as i feel more comfortible a plan will sort of fall in to place, once thats sorted i will get the diet right - i know you say thats the wrong way about it, but i just cant eat the food, i would rather do it the opposite way...

im a strange kid, i know i know..

By tired, do you mean sore or kind of drained the next day. You dont have to be sore to grow, but it is a good indicator that you are working out hard enough until you get more experienced. I understand what you mean about buying the food, but I would emphasize cheap food with lots of calories. A gallon of milk and peanut butter (or almond butter) are pretty cheap and will give over 1000 calories a day easily. I dont know if they have these where you are, but we have stores where you can get milk and bread that is past the expiration date for very cheap. You can get a gallon of milk that is one day past the expiration date, and milk is good for probably a week past that if kept cold, for only a dollar. Since you will be drinking that within a day, it would be a good way to get some cheap calories and protein.

Since you have low bodyfat already, you are tone, but I think you are looking for more muscle which will make you look leaner. Once you start building muscle, it will make you look leaner without even losing weight.

I will wait for the workout.

cool... all i need now is whey protein powder to put in a shake for after the work outs...

i think i may becoming addicted, which is a good thing - too much of a good thing is a bad thing tho... lol

yea i think my diet is ALRIGHT for what i need at the moment as far as workouts go etc, im still full of energy etc, i just did a work out which i can feel, quite well and a shake would probably go down nicely...

i guess you kinda learn with time...

thanks for all the help

wahey!! result, im allowed high protein foods :D so instead of 20 breakfast bar i can get loads of tuna and bread and mayo :D

Last edited:
Be careful with the tuna. It has a high mercury level, and not good for CNS health.

From what I have read though, this is not a big risk unless you are an infant, pregnant, or eat pounds of the stuff daily for years. Maybe you have read something different though.

lol i know your been serious but that is fucking well funny, Be careful with tuna........

lol... no offence - a link would be nice tho

Interesting to note that about the tuna. I try to eat about 2 - 3 cans of it a day. On top of salmon, if I'm not eating quorn.

One thing i would like to know is how many grams of protein should i be eating a day?

i have bacon in the morning, several ham or tuna sandwedges through the day and a high protein meal...

i feel since eating like this (just under a week) i can feel that my muscles are more 'comfortible'....

FDA SAYS:

"By following these 3 recommendations for selecting and eating fish or shellfish, women and young children will receive the benefits of eating fish and shellfish and be confident that they have reduced their exposure to the harmful effects of mercury.

Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.

Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.

Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.

Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week.

Check local advisories about the safety of fish caught by family and friends in your local lakes, rivers, and coastal areas. If no advice is available, eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) per week of fish you catch from local waters, but don't consume any other fish during that week."

link

INDEPENDENT SOURCE:

In June, the World Health Organization changed the level of mercury consumption considered safe from 3.6 to 1.5 micrograms per kilogram of body weight per day. (A microgram is 0.000000035 of an ounce, and a kilogram is 2.2 pounds.)

The Environmental Protection Agency has set its reference dose level, the exposure considered to be safe, at 0.1 microgram per kilogram of body weight per day. A National Academy of Sciences report, basing its findings on the Faeroe Islands study, confirmed that this level was safe.

The Food and Drug Administration uses a different measurement, and it has come under considerable criticism from activist groups like the Mercury Policy Project. Its reference dose is 0.4 micrograms per kilogram of body weight.

However, said Dr. David Acheson, the F.D.A.'s chief medical officer concerned with the mercury issue, the number is misleading. It was based on data from Iraq, he said, and is out of date for groups at particular risk. In practice, he said, the important number is the 12 ounces of various fish each week. That advisory was issued in 2001 and is still in effect. The advisory, he said, "is designed to keep at-risk individuals below" the E.P.A.'s recommended dose. There are also numerous state health advisories. Melanie Miller, director of communications and marketing for the U.S. Tuna Foundation, an industry group, said: "It's very frustrating for us as an industry. Nobody's telling the same story."

Dr. Acheson said the F.D.A. was working out a joint advisory with the E.P.A. that should be issued by January.

The F.D.A. is also looking into another matter of concern, canned tuna.

Michael Bender, director of the Mercury Policy Project of the Tides Center in Montpelier, Vt., has been a longtime critic of the F.D.A. policies on mercury, and most recently his group's efforts have focused on canned tuna. This is by far the most consumed fish, and he argues that consumers deserve to be warned specifically about its mercury levels. His group tested 48 cans of white or albacore tuna and found mercury levels averaging 0.5 parts per million, significantly higher than F.D.A. data. The F.D.A. and the Tuna Foundation agree that albacore has more mercury than light tuna, which comes from smaller fish, but set the figure at 0.3 parts per million compared with 0.13 for light tuna, Dr. Acheson said. Mr. Bender said consumers, particularly women and children, should be warned separately about tuna, since it is so popular. At 0.5 p.p.m. he said, a woman weighing 132 pounds who ate only 6 ounces of tuna in a week would be getting 1.4 micrograms per kilogram of body weight in that week - too much mercury by E.P.A. standards.

link

Last edited:
xXTOKERXx said:
One thing i would like to know is how many grams of protein should i be eating a day?

If you are a serious lifter, you need 1.5g of protein for every pound you weigh. it's best to get it from whole food sources, but it's nearly impossible to do daily, so supplementing with protein powders is needed.

when i get the whey yea... but i eat like 32 grams of protein from ham a day...

so combining them would be about 62... where the other 165 gonna come from?

Man, it is like this. You have to just eat. That is all there is to it. You can get by on 1 gram per pound if it is that big of deal.

guys, forget about muscle building supplements until you've got your diet and lifting routine down or you're just wasting your money and time.

xXTOKERXx said:
when i get the whey yea... but i eat like 32 grams of protein from ham a day...

so combining them would be about 62... where the other 165 gonna come from?

dude, how the hell are you going to eat only 32g of protein per day from whole foods? hold off on the whey, you need to be eating 5-6X per day of nutritious whole foods before thinking of supplementing with protein powders.

You mentioned you were a picky eater (I think) a high calorie, tasty snack is swiss mix (peanuts, round colorful chocolate candies, rasions, and some times dried fruit. This works mostly for fat gain but, peanuts do have protein.

Plus my after-workout shake is 60 protein- 40 from whey, 20 from milk (casien/whey/misc.)

Drinking milk (casien) before bed will help to not lose muscle through the night. ( I read this in a magazine)

And all of the fat and sugar in milk will allow some nice fat gain as well. Better to drink a whey shake and take some fiber in my opinion.