• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

No evidence Ritalin makes a difference long term for ADHD kids

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Drugs such as Ritalin make no difference to the long-term outcomes of children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, who continue to struggle academically and mentally as they get older, early research findings suggest.

The Murdoch Childrens Research Institute has been following 178 children with ADHD and 212 children without ADHD for three years to identify what factors make a difference to the development of children with the disorder.

By the age of seven there are severe academic, social and mental health differences between children with ADHD and their peers, the Children's Attention Project, which is funded by the National Health and Medical Research Council, found.

Three years on, these disparities persist, preliminary findings suggest.

Four times as many 10-year-olds with ADHD suffer from mental health problems such as anxiety and oppositional disorder. They are also well behind their peers in their maths and reading abilities. There was no difference in outcomes between boys and girls.

"All of them continue to be substantially at risk of academic and mental health problems as they had been at seven," one of the chief investigators of the project, paediatrician Daryl Efron said.

The 13 per cent of children in the study who were taking medication such as Ritalin to treat their ADHD were doing no better or worse than their unmedicated peers at age 10. "Medication doesn't alter the long-term outcomes of kids [with ADHD]," Dr Efron said. He cautioned that the project wasn't designed to test the long-term effectiveness of drugs.

Dr Efron said drugs like Ritalin were very effective in reducing the day-to-day symptoms of ADHD "but we haven't progressed very much beyond that".

"Medication is fantastic for treating the symptoms of ADHD . . . helping kids be calmer and focus better. It doesn't surprise me that so far we haven't shown medication makes a difference to kids doing better into the future."

Dr Efron said doctors need to find out what combination of support and intervention does make a difference long-term. He suggested it could involve medication, parent support and remedial strategies.

It is estimated that 5 per cent of children have ADHD, although not all are diagnosed. Children with ADHD are at greater risk of poor outcomes in adolescence and adulthood, including mental health issues like anxiety, learning difficulties and getting in trouble with the law.

Dr Efron said that the mean age of being diagnosed with ADHD isnine years, and 80 per cent of children with ADHD who are seeing a paediatrician are on medication.

Paula Burgess has found that occupational therapy and the family's new dog have made the most difference to her seven-year-old son, Jesse, who has ADHD. Jesse will ask his mum to rock him on the yoga ball when he feels his symptoms escalating.

"He'll say 'Mummy I'm not feeling right, can you rock me please' and then he'll come straight down," Ms Burgess said. Meanwhile, the presence of border collie River is helping reduce Jesse's anxiety.

It's been a far more positive experience than the disastrous six weeks Jesse spent on Ritalin. While his teachers noticed an improvement, Jesse's anxiety spiralled, and he would lash out at his mother when he got home from school, kicking and punching her.

"We want to make sure he can get through school, but not at the price of the imbalance it caused in his body, and the tension it caused between us," Ms Burgess said.

Ms Burgess hasn't ruled out medicating Jesse in the future if necessary, but for now the family is managing his ADHD with occupational therapy, routine, monitoring his diet, support from the school he attends, and the psychologist and
psychiatrist he sees. River is being trained as a therapy dog, and later in the year Jesse will also try equine therapy.

"We'll take it day by day and see what happens," Ms Burgess said. "It's a mix of things [that work], having the right team in place, having people to go to to ask questions, getting constant feedback on what's going on."

"With ADHD you can have a false sense of security, you can think it's going really well, then everything goes crap and it's almost like starting again."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/no-eviden...-adhd-kids-20160311-gngmeb.html#ixzz42kXdH5Gn

i'll never be surprised at big pharma's failure/wrongdoing.

i have a couple friends that grew up on MPH and are pretty much everything described as whatever 'ADHD' is now that they don't even take it.

^ the last thing big pharma is doing at the moment is failing.. well I mean they are racking up huge numbers in computers in some bank. Really like the old traveling medicine show at this point. I don't even watch tv but once a month. But my God 20 minutes and those fucking drug commercials are unbearable. What a scam.

I doubt if prolonged use of a bunch psychoactive medication will work well long term. I know chronic use of opiates and benzos ends up producing the exact opposite as intended.

This study makes total sense and I'd love to see a broad study of benefits compared to harm.. Sure they can sit still and compulsively study whatever.

Id also love to see a down the road study that looks at addiction rates of children given these meds compared to those that were not. I mean we hear all this about early cannabis use and addiction rates. Huhh I wonder daily grade school speed use does? But it is so nice to see her sitting diligently memorizing state capitals. (sarcasm of course)

My take is long term continuous treatment with many medications is shit. I believe that current day psychiatry will end up being the blood letting of this time. We have to give a real rebound period that allows the brain and other systems to readjust. Chronic and continual use of so many substances results in a confusing paradoxical result. They "work" but have sneakily deceived us. I mean not that they are trying to fool us, but has anyone seen a person more in pain then a chronic long time opiate addict? Has anyone seen a person with more anxiety issues then a long time chronic benzo user.

We have been using so many of the wrong drugs and in the wrong ways. I also think that the most amazing chemical treatments are just being allowed to study. Western medicine has some amazing things.. antibiotics being one. But its also totally full of beans and does so much more harm then good in so many areas.

We experience depression when our lives suck. But instead of changing our lives and society we take a pill. Women enter the work force and and swap really important duties for less important ones. Talking with a few ER docks they have said its RARE to see a female that's not on them. I'm all for gender equality but I know we don't have this figured out yet.

Like Carl Heart tells us drugs are not the problem. The life we are currently living is. "thats life" is the biggest load of shit I have ever heard. We compete with each other. We falsy are told and believe this fosters ingenuity and progress. Right, think of war and the technological advancements created because of this. Its a load of shit. The laws of physics and opposing forces spell this principle out clear.

If during the "cold war" the Russians and the US worked together to solve each other's problems then we would have advanced much more then we ever did from that crazy shit.

We can still have races to the moon. But we can work together and race against ourselves.

Competition does not provide better results then cooperation. Thats insanity. Here is another way current capitalism fails. We all compete to earn the most profit. Profits end up being worthless numbers in computers and stacks of worthless paper.

The one percent of the one percent end up with all the results of our labor. These results provide nothing to them.

So many current drugs don't cure anything. We are just taking them to temporarily try and hide from problems.

Sorry for this interlude.. NOW get back to work motherfuckers as that's why we are hear!! No bitching unless you're doing 180 hours a week and no longer remember your first borns name. What are you terrorist.. work!! We have computer numbers to compile ! !

Not happy about this shit.. that's life.. Here is a pill. I don't give one rats ass if you can't afford the gas to work if you pay for the pill that prevents you from blowing your head off from having to go to work This is life so get back to work!!

^ "Awesome post that made lots of sense"

If you ran for president on this platform I would vote for you....and possibly dig up a bunch of dead relatives to vote as well. Unfortunately that one percent that benefits from our hard work control politics.

I am in a rough situation with medications myself. The med I need to cure my hep c is prohibitively expensive and my insurance is fighting me to the bitter end all the while my illness gets worse and I develop worse symptoms. On the other hand I can get all the benzos, opiates, anti-nausea pills, water pills etc. ad nauseum, that I could want to combat those symptoms instead of just passing me the medication that will cure it.

I use anti depressants to stop myself from feeling like shit and committing suicide yet I hate them.

Meds do suck.................

But WTF do you do?

Fight the power!

I don't do those gov't drugs anymore, man...only street narcotics ;)

I use anti depressants to stop myself from feeling like shit and committing suicide yet I hate them.

But WTF do you do?

Hey, if drugs in your estimation improve your overall quality of life, keep taking them. It's not a moral question in my mind...I don't look at it as, "oh, these RESPECTABLE PEOPLE who know what's best for my mental health or analgesic needs (aka doctors, in conjunction with pharmaceutical companies) want me to take these drugs, and that's ok...but it's not OK for me to take these other drugs that I simply enjoy from these UNRESPECTABLE PEOPLE (aka illegal drug dealers)." If drugs make your life better, keep using. When they become a detriment to your life, stop using. To me it's clear cut, in theory. In practice of course it's more difficult, because people can realize that drugs are contributing negatively to their overall quality of life yet still find it very difficult to stop using.

Me personally? I'm pretty much physically dependent on drugs (involuntarily and the drug in question isn't even psychoactive in any way) so I'm going to be padding the wallets of Big Pharma for the foreseeable future.

Fight the power!
:!=D:!

But WTF do you do?

drugs do not change the world , they change our perception of the world. Our experience of this world is based off how we percieve whats happening. Our perceptions are determined by our thoughts. We control our thoughts. We control our experience.

We have little control over what life sends our way, but we have total control over how we choose to look at what we are sent.

Drugs influence brain chemistry, which influences thought. But its much better working the equation backwards.. thought influences brain chemistry.

It's anecdotal evidence with a very small sample, but the adults I know who most successfully treat their ADHD with medication all take it "as needed" rather than every day.