• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc No euphoria from other drugs with wellbutrin

MsTdoll

Greenlighter
So I read a lot about how antidepressants can block the effects from other drugs like opiates but I didn?t see anything about how long it would take after quitting the antidepressant before you can feel anything from opiates again.
I?ve been clean from opiates/opioids for close to 3 months until a few days ago. I took two norco 7.5 and only felt a slight mood change. I thought it was odd because my tolerance should be very low right now. The next day I took two of them. Hours later I felt nothing and went to a ballgame. About a hour into the game I felt a really nice come up and it lasted about 20 minutes and it was gone. So I took two more and felt nothing.Yesterday I tried 5 50mg tramadol and felt nothing at all. After researching I found that the Wellbutrin I take could possibly be blocking the opiates.
How long after I stop the Wellbutrin will it take for me to feel good from other drugs again?

Please don't take tramadol with Wellbutrin. That's an extremely dangerous combination.

Have you considered that maybe it would be best to continue taking the Wellbutrin? Is the only reason why you want to quit is so you can get high?

Tramadol and bupropion both have a relatively high risk of seizures, you do not want both in your body. (And apparently hydrocodone has some risk too.)

Why did you quit taking opiates? If you had a serious habit that you quit three months ago, you might just be going through the slump that comes with new sobriety (aka PAWS). It's normal, it blows, but it goes away.

You might want to talk to your doctor if bupropion isn't working for you (from a depression standpoint; not a relapse one). There are lots of antidepressants out there, and no good support for bupropion in treating opioid addiction.

As for blocking opiates, you already found it doesn't block them completely when you took the Norcos. I wouldn't pin your hopes on quitting bupropion and getting that old time high back.

Don't take opiates if you are already on antidepressants! Especially those opiates; tram is shit.

What mechanism would Wellbutrin do this?

There isn't a good one that I've found in my few minutes of looking. There are very downstream kinds of effects, but nothing with the MOR that gets people high.

Considering it's given along with MMT and suboxonebuprenorphine, I wouldn't expect it to interact universally with opioids. Why give maintenance therapy if you block its effects with an anti-depressant?

Last edited:
Wellbutrin really was a life saver for me when I was coming off opiates. I had a pretty bad not terrible addiction at the time. My drug of choice is/was oxy but they were too expensive. My life was pretty normal even with my addiction. I actually quit because my sister had a bad Benzo addiction and I knew I had to quit for the both of us.

I would choose tramadol any day over any thing else I’ve ever tried. I know people say tramadol is shit but I can be high for 8 hours on them. It’s more about the duration of the high rather than the high itself for me. I don’t really feel depressed I’m just addicted to the speedy feeling I get from opiates. I guess I was hoping to quit wellbutrin to get the “old time high back.” I am probably going through a slump because I have been doing good mentally until the past week or so.

There isn't a good one that I've found in my few minutes of looking. There are very downstream kinds of effects, but nothing with the MOR that gets people high.

Considering it's given along with MMT and suboxone, I wouldn't expect it to interact universally with opioids. Why give maintenance therapy if you block its effects with an anti-depressant?

In my opinion from my recent experiences, wellbutrin blocks opiates better than suboxone.

In my opinion from my recent experiences, wellbutrin blocks opiates better than suboxone.

Oh, thank you for accidentally pointing out my mistake--the paper I saw studied bupropion/Welbutrin in patients stable on buprenorphine/Subutex, not bupe+naloxone/Suboxone. Buprenorphine and methadone are both opiates for maintenance treatment, so suddenly adding a drug that blocks the effects of opiates wouldn't make sense. But bupropion is a weird drug with a lot of metabolites too.

They've thrown bupropion at all kinds of addictions, and so far there's nothing to suggest any value. But that's for study populations, not individuals. People on their own might still get some good from it.

In my head I haven't ruled out the possibility of a diminished "something" when taking bupropion.

But OP wants to stay clean, and get happy. You shouldn't quit your psych meds just because you think they block your relapse highs, OP. That's probably not what's happening.

And I want to emphasize again, please do NOT take bupropion/Welbutrin and tramadol/Ultram at the same time. That combo carries a major seizure risk.

My doctor did say wellbutrin was a good medication for addicts along with buspar.
I just wanted to say thank you for the information.

I am still skeptical that bupropion blocks the effects of opiates based of your two experiences. Only that the combination of tramadol with bupropion could cause seizures.

The only reason I bring this up isnt anything personal. I just dont want someone stopping their bupropion thinking its reducing their high.

If you dont like wellbutrin maybe you can ask your doctor about effexor. Its structurally like tramadol. It doesnt have any Mu opioid activity but its a snri. I take it doesnt make me feel high. But since being on it my mood has definitely improved*

*started other meds too. But the effects pretty large wanting to die vs not wanting to die.

I didn't mean to say bupropion was NOT good for addicted people, just that a study on people in rehab, who aren't too happy usually, said they didn't get any extra benefit from it. But maybe two people did, just not enough for the FDA.

d1nach said:
If you dont like wellbutrin maybe you can ask your doctor about effexor. Its structurally like tramadol. It doesnt have any Mu opioid activity but its a snri. I take it doesnt make me feel high. But since being on it my mood has definitely improved*

*started other meds too. But the effects pretty large wanting to die vs not wanting to die.

d1, you're taking bupropion? How is that working with your raging, epic, beyond out-of-control nicotine addiction?

Im on effexor. Its working pretty well with lithium as far as not feeling suicidal. Nicotine is very addicting. I think it improves my quality of life. I love it.

Ahh I see. I think antidepressants probably work better in people with severe depression. Like I was so depressed id stare at the floor and barely give you answer and if you did get a full sentence out of me it was "i want to die" then go back to staring down the floor.

Got you, I just couldn't read. Cause I think bupropion wouldn't be too fun, with the "nach" in d1nach being antagonized.

Well I'm glad things are working better for you. Your voice sounds a bit different. But then my D2 can get a little overactivated sometimes, and I embellish my impressions.