• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Nitrous Problems

Nitrous Kills

I agree with those who have posted that a) N20 can cause a nasty addiction and b) that it is a substance that can sneak up to you and take your life.

As far as I know my 2 uncles (my mother's 2 brothers) weren't as heavily in to a range of drugs as I am, but somehow they both got hold of nitrous oxide. I think it was used at my older uncle's work and a work buddy introduced him to it and then he introduced his own little brother. That's some low shit if true, but I don't know for sure as my grandparents are both to all intents and purposes gone (grandad died of cancer at a reasonably late age and gran is now hoplessly demented with vascular dementia and barely recognises who we are on a good day) and my mum and her sister clam up when the subject is raised so I can't get 1st hand witness accounts, I have to rely on what my dad has gleaned from mum and deigned to pass on to me, and the 2nd hand account of my great-uncle (gran's half brother but he didn't live nearby at the time is therefore a less reliable source of info)

What I can say with certainty did happen is that they both became addicts very quickly and within 18 months they were both dead. 2 different physical complications, same drug used to heavily for too long. And it got them after they'd been doing it long enough that they thought that their habits were relatively harmless. That is the trgedy of this substance. It is like playing russian roulette with a gun that has 100 chambers - 99 times you'll use and carry on with your life but every so often someone spins and comes up with ol' 100 and another life is pointlessly lost, usually tragically young like my uncles.

The other thing is that it seems different people have different affinities for the effects of the drug and susceptibilities to addiction to it. Since my uncles were full-blood brothers and both seemingly went for it big style I have often wondered (with no means to prove or disprove the theory) whether there is a genetic component to this greater susceptibility. It could as easily have been an environmental link in childhood, or coincidence but one things for sure - being one generation descended from their middle sister and bearing them some physical resemblance I will never once try N20 just in case it is genetic and I have the addiction gene. No not even out of curiosity for the effects. Even though I think the death risk is about 1% per inhalation remember that both my uncles started with a single hit out of curiosity and loved it and were tempted by it in to addiction in a matter of weeks. I don't know if I could engage my rational mind to overcome this addiction if I was genetically susceptible to it and an addict over time has the opportunity to take more than a hundred, maybe several hundred - now you're playing russian roulette with a normal revolver and more than one chamber full :(

So beware, as my family knows all too well, Nitrous is not a safe drug to abuse and it can be deadly at any time! Remember you have lucked out on all your previous N20 breaths - you may be unlucky next time and the next one could be the reaper calling - You only have to die once!!!

To Billy the OP - do you really love your family and want to live your life with them to a respectable age? If you do then you simply must quit now. You gotta have the motivation and willpower to do it or it won't work just like any drug cessation. The poster who suggested rehab may be on to something as you're a susceptible user but you'd still need strategies in place for dealing with the strong psychological cravings for N20 you'll get for ages after withdrawing. I've had a couple of susceptible acquaintances who quit only to go back a year or two later... guess what they both are??..
It will be hellishly hard but you can do it if you want to, susceptibles do come off nitrous and stay clear of it despite the difficulties.
If the answer to the family-related question is honestly a "no" and you feel depressed to the point of suicide or just not caring whether you live or die any more then you need to seek appropriate treatment from a psychiatrist since the drug use will only be one symptom of a serious and very real underlying condition and you'll need to treat the whole condition rather than just the drug or you'll never muster the motivation to stop for good.
Please do which ever of the above is more relevant in your case Billy and don't just stay on the nitrous and wait to die. That thought fills me with such a barren sense of - loneliness I guess :( ) Trust me, it doesn't have to remain this way and furthermore if you lose your life because you don't value it enough in your current circumstances then you'll never know just how much you lost. When you get you life back and 1 or 2 simple pleasures in life that are not about nitrous oxide then you'll be amazed and probably a little scared that you were willing to risk selling it so cheap!
Finally if you have found yourself slipping in to the (usually unintentional) selfishness of the depressive addict then take a step back and think about your family and then my family's story. My family was damaged by the deaths of two previously generous, articulate, intelligent and personable guys tragically young. When you push that gas too far (it will happen if you don't quit now, rest assured of that) then your whole family will be damaged the same way. Do they all really deserve this from you?
That said if you need to talk I'm a good listener and try not make harsh judgements of people ;)

Sorry for the HUGE post folks but I needed to put that in full and if I have alerted one person to the potentially lethal side effects of nitrous oxide and their random nature, especially combined with natural affinity then it has been worthwhile. Hopefully more than one person might read this thread and warn a friend or 2. If that friend told another and so on just think of the harm reduction potential in a single post!

I'm sorry this isn't a helpful or informitave post but OP, I think the phrase "bulb shop" is priceless.

I think Billy needs rehab or something. Nitrous oxide addiction is no joke, and it will kill you. If you have a taste for doing it daily (most people don't), it's just as addictive as crack cocaine.
hahahaha sif he needs rehab. did you look at the date of the original post? he uses once or twice a month now, that's no reason for rehab.

Hey everybody i dont know who to turn to about this problem, i feel like a such a moron for what ive done to my self ill start with a little run down of my nitrous oxide use. Over the past 2 Years ive been using nitrous fairly heavily on avg id say a few hundred bulbs a week with a break of maybe 6 months in between that 2 years but the last year has been fairly heavy use maybe missing a week or 2 here and there.
I started to notice some negative effects over the past few months firstly i had a experience where i got sores on the edges of my mouth, went to the docs and was told this was due to a b12 deficiency nothing too major i was told to buy some supplements etc which i did and that cleared up the problem. About a month ago i had a session where every bulb would leave my legs and arms locked up for about a minute being the idiot i am i continued the session until all my boxes where gone, everything was fine after that session for a few weeks but in the past week or two ive noticed that my toes were tingly and a bit numb after a couple of weeks they got slightly better until i stupidly had some more nitrous oxide on the weekend and realized the next day when i woke up that my feet had gotten worse again half my left foot is fairly numb up until about half way down my foot.
Anyways i realize what i need to do is stop using nitrous oxide all together but i guess im afraid of a couple of things firstly that ive caused irreversible damage to my nerves and that i may not feel my feet properly ever again, secondly im afraid im going to lapse again and end up in a even worse state than im already in. I guess i just wanted to share my story and hope that it might help some people not make the same mistakes i have made. Has anybody else ever experienced problems of tingling and numbness due to heavy nitrous use?

Hey Billy and all others.

I made this original post about 18 months ago. I wish I could have posted it in here at the time. Some or many of you may have read it - it's turned into a large and long thread. Billy, if you;re still around please read this - although it's probably too late. Either way, please respond so that I know how you are doing. Here's the original post - be warned - it's really long as it's part autobiographical:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=445374

I am opne of the original up-fuckers - and my obsession with Nitrousw lasted about 12 years or so before I ended up in the neurology ward, body numb, no motor control. electric shocks/paralasys and s0o on. By the time I was certain that it was the Nitrous causing the problems it was too late - and I had suffered permanent brain damage.

This was before the Internet - so as desperately as I wantd=ed to talk to someone - there were no avenues to follow.

Billy, if you, or any others in this thread are still around, I;d really like to hear from you as I shared your experience. I survived - but not without seriously bad Karma. I lived with chronic pain for the last 15 years as a result of my total lack of self control.

But it makes an interesting read, and while it will confirm your knowledge as to the damage that you have done to yourself, it should also validate some of the deep insights that you felt about the subjective effects of Nitrous.

It is an *amazing* drug (I used to do it mostly in combination with LSD - a chemical synergy that I call "Gascid"). Unfortunately the quality of Nitrous in the WHippits has deteriiorated so much over th last 5 years or so that it is practically impossible to get 'real' Nitrous anymore - something that really saddens me. The thread I started rages on - with some fantastic contributions from others.

The Merry Prankster