• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Night terrors.

chrispche

Bluelighter
I have been using Dihydrocodeine at fairly high doses. I have noticed a pattern developing. I'm getting night terrors. Last Friday I felt a presence in my room whilst sleeping, it malevolent. So in the dream I launched myself at it to get it out of my bedroom. What happened was I smacked against the wall and split my lip. Naturally there was nothing there. But the whole experience was terrifying. This is not the first time something like this has happened. When I lay off the Dihydrocodeine I don't get this. My question is this. I have been taking opioid's of various forms for about two years due to lower back pain. I've never had this before, it's a new development. I know it's the Dihydrocodeine because when I lay off it it, it doesn't happen. So, is this a common effect of taking opioids, night terrors. Or is there something more going on here.

You’ve essentially answered your own question. The dihydrocodeine is causing sleep paralysis. Simple option would be to use a different opioid.

Could be for any number of reasons. Generally opioids, whilst they are great for making you fall asleep, reduce your time in REM cycle sleep. It leaves you tired and at more risk of sleep paralysis etc.

I’d also say to not lay on your back and use a bit of lavender.

You’ve essentially answered your own question. The dihydrocodeine is causing sleep paralysis. Simple option would be to use a different opioid.

Could be for any number of reasons. Generally opioids, whilst they are great for making you fall asleep, reduce your time in REM cycle sleep. It leaves you tired and at more risk of sleep paralysis etc.

I’d also say to not lay on your back and use a bit of lavender.

Thanks and you've answered it more fully by explaining the REM sleep reason. However, it's strange that this is a new phenomenon. That's what's confusing me.

Thanks and you've answered it more fully by explaining the REM sleep reason. However, it's strange that this is a new phenomenon. That's what's confusing me.
Could be just the way you’re metabolising the dihydrocodeine. Honestly though, I couldn’t give you any sort of concrete answer as to what’s causing it. Sorry.

Could be just the way you’re metabolising the dihydrocodeine. Honestly though, I couldn’t give you any sort of concrete answer as to what’s causing it. Sorry.

That's fine, thank for the input. I'll leave the question out there though as to if this has happened to anyone else.