• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

NIDA's Addiction Model and AA Are Two Sides of the Same Coin

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Why Critics Are Afraid to Admit That NIDA's Addiction Model and AA Are Two Sides of the Same Coin

Stanton Peele | 12/5/16 said:
As our predestined fates would have it, several prominent books (including by authors as distinguished as Marc Lewis, Sally Satel and Johann Hari) have recently confronted the supposedly scientific neurobiological chronic brain disease theory of addiction. The theory, which is associated worldwide with Nora Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), was reaffirmed as national policy by US Surgeon General Vivek Murthy just last month.

Yet these same bold authors, and many others, are often reluctant to similarly criticize Alcoholics Anonymous in its mission of directing people born with the inescapable disease of alcoholism to become “recovering alcoholics” forevermore.

Doesn’t it seem strange that critics can attack the modern disease theory while they treat the 80-year-old religious-cum-spiritual AA disease theory as sacrosanct?

To take one further example, at the most recent Drug Policy Alliance conference in Washington, DC a year ago, I was one of a crowded room of spectators at a spirited panel discussion of the brain disease theory. Aside from the quite defensive (even apologetic) representative from NIDA, the other four panel members were vociferously opposed to the NIDA model.

But no one on the panel, nor in the overwhelmingly anti-disease audience, once mentioned AA’s disease model of addiction, based on folk wisdom and America’s temperance tradition, which precedes the neurobiological model by a half century.

We’ll return to the question of why in a moment.

But first, am I right to claim that these two movements—the disciples of Nora Volkow and those of Bill Wilson—represent the same American meme?

Critics might attack me (as they have) for unjustifiably conflating the two models. But the two are inextricably linked. In fact, as I point out in my book Recover!, AA paved the way for the established dominance of Volkow et al. by creating the widespread addiction-disease consciousness in the US into which the brain disease model could neatly be slotted.

Here are the essential similarities between these two disease models:

1. Both models, the AA and neurobiological, make addiction out to be an incurable disease, whether inbred or ineradicably imprinted on the brain, which can never be reversed, only managed. I made this clear for the neurobiological model in a 2016 article in Addictive Behavior Reports, as I have been doing for AA and its offshoots for decades, such as in American Health Magazine in 1983.

2. Both addictive disease models ignore environmental and psychological factors in addiction in favor of supposedly biological and inbred factors. My 1991 book (with Archie Brodsky and Mary Arnold), The Truth About Addiction and Recovery, listed as one of eight essential flaws of AA’s disease model that “It ignores the rest of the person’s problems in favor of blaming them all on the addiction.” At the DPA conference, critics rounded on the brain disease model’s role in ignoring issues of poverty and social disempowerment.

3. Both models remove choice and free will from the addiction equation. AA’s mythology indicates that only a fool tries to control their problem drinking, an effort that must always fail. Meanwhile a video on NIDA’s home page announces “Dr. Nora Volkow on Addiction: A Disease of Free Will.”

4. More than anything, both models discourage individual and cultural beliefs in people’s agency—in both their resistance to addiction, and their ability to overcome an addiction should they form one. Instead of encouraging empowerment, brain disease proponents strive to find some futuristic neurological intervention to cure addiction once and for all, while AA prescribes surrendering to its guiding Higher Power.

5. And disease models of both kinds share little ability to reverse addiction. Neurobiology has produced no diagnostic or treatment tools for addiction. Meanwhile, William Miller and his University of New Mexico colleagues ranked 12-step facilitation and AA 37th and 38th most successful out of 48 treatments for alcoholism, according to their systematic assessment of clinical trials. A generalized belief in a disease model has been shown to retard recovery, while the most successful models of addiction therapy, per Miller et al., are built on supporting self-efficacy as the key ingredient in recovery.

You’ll admit, won’t you, that there are some significant similarities?

Given the identical emphases of these two disease models, why should most outspoken public criticism be directed towards only one—the brain disease model?

Most people, I’ve noticed—and for better or worse, I’m not one of them—are frightened of giving offense.

The thing about attacking the brain disease model of addiction is that such attacks don’t seem personal. The culprits are well-positioned addiction theorists like Nora Volkow and high-priced medical providers like members of the American Board of Addiction Medicine. Relatively few of us have any of those types in our family. So when someone points out the brain model’s soul-crushing inadequacy for facing our society’s addiction problems, we don’t stand a chance of another family member walking out of a holiday dinner.

With AA, which has 2 million active members, the vast majority in North America, the situation is much more personally threatening. Almost all of us have some kind of personal connection to people involved with the elevation of AA to its position as a national monument.

Perhaps it’s our sister Shelly’s daughter, Rachel, who was partying a lot, getting Cs and Ds. Shelly sent Rachel to AA at age 18 and the young woman turned over a new leaf. She’s an honor student in college now.

Perhaps it’s our Uncle Moshe, who was drinking six shots of scotch daily (he called the drinks “schnapps”). Moshe didn’t seem to think that was a problem at all, but not everyone in the family agreed. Finally, at age 87, he found himself in AA. That was three months ago. So far, so good, family members announce!

Perhaps it’s our cousin, Benjamin, who really was drinking and using meds dangerously. He’s 39 and hasn’t had a job in the six years since he developed back problems and his wife left him. Now he’s grateful for his two years “sober,” some friends in the Rooms, and a belief that he has an incurable disease.

I would propose that Rachel would have benefited instead from some clear expectations and early examples and experiences of responsible drinking—and that, in any case, she would have straightened out on her own.

And that, since Uncle Moshe achieved his ripe old age while apparently doing little harm to others or himself by drinking that much, he should have carried on making his own decisions about alcohol.

And that Benjamin desperately needed opportunities to improve his health, his work prospects and his personal relationships, rather than to adopt a stop-gap life identity as an alcoholic/addict.

And the thing is, deep down, most of those anti-brain disease, pro-AA folks in the addiction field agree with me (indeed, some privately tell me so). But they don’t want to say so publicly—at least, not in so many words.

Because when AA membership becomes a person’s identity—and many view it, because of their subjective experience, as a lifesaving identity—it can be impossible to point out AA’s demonstrated failures, both for individuals and for society, without its being received as a personal attack.

And so, in the interest of mercifully avoiding giving offense, these experts, who should and often do know better, prop up the continued dominance in American culture of a disease-based program with outcomes for people with addiction ranging from nonexistent to mediocre to disastrous.

If that’s kindness, I want no part of it. Instead, as I wrote for the British RSA Journal in 2012:

Neurobiological models of addiction are consistent with the privatized American healthcare system. Meanwhile, the American vision of addiction is spreading rapidly, due to proselytizing by AA advocates, the scientific claims of the NIDA and the pharmaceutical industry’s marketing. Yet our best data—including the NESARC results—show that addiction should be de-medicalized in favor of a model that encourages the advancement of psychological and environmental conditions that naturally prevent and dispel addiction.

Although AA will remain a beneficial community resource for some alcoholics, it further entrenches the disease model in our culture and works against the natural recovery that research shows is more common and enduring. Community supports and therapies will be more effective if they focus on enhancing natural recovery processes by working with people on reducing or managing their substance use, developing more productive coping skills, and improving their housing, employment and relationships.
I rest my case.
http://theinfluence.org/why-critics...-model-and-aa-are-two-sides-of-the-same-coin/

Thanks for the awesome read, TPD!

One aspect of the disease model that has struck me recently is that it gives people who are peddling very old-fashioned interventions (such as NA/AA) a fig leaf of legitimacy, a foot in the 21st century. I guess that's pretty much what Peele is arguing.

An example... the doctor at the outpatient rehab I attend (who is a well-meaning, but not terribly inspired guy) always couches his advice in neurobiological terms. But more importantly, he emphasizes that in doing so, he is emphatically thumbing his nose at the "old-fashioned and wrong" belief that addiction is a matter of moral defects. Well, it's true, the idea that addiction stems from weak wills and defective character IS old-fashioned and wrong. But what I always want to say is that this fact doesn't make the disease model RIGHT.

It's hard to say to no to people who show you over and over just how far they are from superstition, and how steeped in science their methods are. I find this grab for legitimacy really hard to question face-to-face, and questioning addiction professionals is so important for those of us involved in trying to improve our lives in the wake of drugs.

I definitely disagree (strongly) with several key aspects of the AA/NA philosophy (disease model, "powerlessness", etc), as well as its relationship with the criminal justice system

Unfortunately for many people it's the only option when it comes to obtaining any sort of free help overcoming a substance use disorder.

Good article. I feel like the NIDA is scared to say NA/AA doesn't have scientific legitimacy because they have nothing to offer in its place for the most part. The entire drug treatment industry is built on AA/NA if its legitimacy was destroyed overnight the fallout would be tremendous.

Actually the only reason the disease model was developed and took off as it did was to get what is now referred to as substance use disorder covered by insurance plans. The disease model itself is all about money, and have very, very, very little to do with modern medicine or empirical science.

*sigh*

Anyhoo, glad you guys are enjoying the article :)

Maybe meetings are different where you are but here on the west coast AA is about mutual support and personal growth.

Actually the only reason the disease model was developed and took off as it did was to get what is now referred to as substance use disorder covered by insurance plans. The disease model itself is all about money, and have very, very, very little to do with modern medicine or empirical science.

*sigh*

Anyhoo, glad you guys are enjoying the article :)

that's a good point. If its not a disease then insurance isn't going to cover it. I honestly never thought of it like that. I think addiction is generally self medication for another disorder that's why it pisses me off when 12 step rehabs don't address the underlying causes of the persons addiction. At that point they are confusing a self help group with actual medical treatment,

Maybe meetings are different where you are but here on the west coast AA is about mutual support and personal growth.

This is true, but it doesn't change the central role that the disease model plays in 12-step fellowships and dogma. For example, this quote from the NA reading "Why are we Here?" leaps to mind immediately:

After coming to NA we realised we were sick people. We suffered from a disease from which there is no known cure. It can, however, be arrested at some point, and recovery is then possible.

Obviously, AA and NA aren't identical. But I think the disease model of addiction is central to both fellowships. I say this (and my earlier posts on this thread) as someone who counts himself as an active (though skeptical) member of NA.

Show me 1 meeting that is truly about mutual support and personal growth not based on a policy of exclusion and shaming and I will gladly show you 10 that are. Show me 1 meeting where you won't become an outcast simply because you are critical or core twelve step dogma or ideology and I'll show you 100's where you will be.

I'm not say there isn't a good meeting out there. If you are able to leave the liters of bullshit spewed at most meetings behind and take whatever you find helpful, most meetings can be very useful. My problem is that I have very, very little tolerance for bullshit when it comes to my recovery, particularly when more support groups are out there and just as easily accessible in nearly any major city. I'm just saying that good, truly inclusive meetings where the primary focus is in fact mutual support, regardless of your beliefs, DOC, or you socioeconomic level, are very few and far between.

Granted, in most small towns, I could imagine twelve step groups being the only avenue of "support" when it comes to substance use, but this is a pretty sad reason to support them. But if it's all there is, I'd support anyone working with what they have on hand.

Rarely, however, is AA or NA the only option - despite members and THE OFFICIAL LITERATURE promoting these kind of narrow minded, self-aggrandizing set of beliefs.

An example... the doctor at the outpatient rehab I attend (who is a well-meaning, but not terribly inspired guy) always couches his advice in neurobiological terms. But more importantly, he emphasizes that in doing so, he is emphatically thumbing his nose at the "old-fashioned and wrong" belief that addiction is a matter of moral defects. Well, it's true, the idea that addiction stems from weak wills and defective character IS old-fashioned and wrong. But what I always want to say is that this fact doesn't make the disease model RIGHT.

It's hard to say to no to people who show you over and over just how far they are from superstition, and how steeped in science their methods are. I find this grab for legitimacy really hard to question face-to-face, and questioning addiction professionals is so important for those of us involved in trying to improve our lives in the wake of drugs.

All effective drug was propaganda is also stewed in so-called "good" science, and look at where it has landed us. Eugenics back in the day was also steeped in "good" science and promoted as the pinnacle of empirical science, and look what kind of form that takes. The military industrial complex, CIA, FBI, Stasi and SS used some of the most advance scientific procedures, but to what ends?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is true, but it doesn't change the central role that the disease model plays in 12-step fellowships and dogma. For example, this quote from the NA reading "Why are we Here?" leaps to mind immediately:

After coming to NA we realised we were sick people. We suffered from a disease from which there is no known cure. It can, however, be arrested at some point, and recovery is then possible.

Obviously, AA and NA aren't identical. But I think the disease model of addiction is central to both fellowships. I say this (and my earlier posts on this thread) as someone who counts himself as an active (though skeptical) member of NA.

I've been to probably over 1000 AA and NA meetings in Manhattan, and Los Angeles and actually the disease concept, God, and the steps are not frequently discussed except for in the introductory readings. They do come up of course but I've been to plenty of meetings where they never come up. I'm sure in the Bible belt it would be quite different though.

I think regarding the disease concept it isn't discussed much because it doesn't really matter how you got to where you are. It's more what are you going to do now. AA's model is really a personal growth model. If one is not interested in that then I suppose there is rational recovery.

I have found communities outside the abstinence only community to be most useful, most inclusive, and most supportive of my recovery. Ultimately there is some truth in that cliche, "whatever works works." It is ultimately up to each individual to find what works for them. That is what recovery is all about.

I find the twelve step community to be frustrating particularly because of contradictions in its ideology and popular employed practices related to this. Chances are, if you have a sponsor, you're going to end up completing one of those step workbooks. You're in for a real treat if you disagree with anything about the twelve step, abstinence only mode, and hope to wade through its murky waters.

I hate to see this turn into a bashing twelve step thread though. It's a program with a lot of failing and deserves a lot of rightful criticism though, so perhaps if we can look at what it does through a critical lense, as opposed to bashing or supporting it more blindly with personal anecdotes (which are at the ends of the day meaningless), something I am not totally acquitted of here, it would be a service to the thread.

Show me 1 meeting that is truly about mutual support and personal growth not based on a policy of exclusion and shaming and I will gladly show you 10 that are. Show me 1 meeting where you won't become an outcast simply because you are critical or core twelve step dogma or ideology and I'll show you 100's where you will be.

I'm not say there isn't a good meeting out there. If you are able to leave the liters of bullshit spewed at most meetings behind and take whatever you find helpful, most meetings can be very useful. My problem is that I have very, very little tolerance for bullshit when it comes to my recovery, particularly when more support groups are out there and just as easily accessible in nearly any major city. I'm just saying that good, truly inclusive meetings where the primary focus is in fact mutual support, regardless of your beliefs, DOC, or you socioeconomic level, are very few and far between.

Granted, in most small towns, I could imagine twelve step groups being the only avenue of "support" when it comes to substance use, but this is a pretty sad reason to support them. But if it's all there is, I'd support anyone working with what they have on hand.

Rarely, however, is AA or NA the only option - despite members and THE OFFICIAL LITERATURE promoting these kind of narrow minded, self-aggrandizing set of beliefs.

All effective drug was propaganda is also stewed in so-called "good" science, and look at where it has landed us. Eugenics back in the day was also steeped in "good" science and promoted as the pinnacle of empirical science, and look what kind of form that takes. The military industrial complex, CIA, FBI, Stasi and SS used some of the most advance scientific procedures, but to what ends?

This. All the meetings in my city end with the Lords Prayer. So much for non religious. I am in the bible belt though

I've been to probably over 1000 AA and NA meetings in Manhattan, and Los Angeles and actually the disease concept, God, and the steps are not frequently discussed except for in the introductory readings. They do come up of course but I've been to plenty of meetings where they never come up. I'm sure in the Bible belt it would be quite different though.

I think regarding the disease concept it isn't discussed much because it doesn't really matter how you got to where you are. It's more what are you going to do now. AA's model is really a personal growth model. If one is not interested in that then I suppose there is rational recovery.

I think some of this must hinge on what we're listening for in meetings. Also, my experience is almost exclusively with NA, not AA. But like you, I have attended hundreds of meetings in many parts of the country. I don't dispute that a lot of what goes on there is about mutual support and personal growth...that's why I go :)! But I maintain that at least in NA, the support is offered in the context of treating a "progressive, incurable disease," as the article at the top of this thread describes. How many old-timers have I listened to describing what their "sick ass" has to do to keep the disease at bay? The phrase "the disease of addiction" has been on peoples' lips in meetings I've attended in the SF Bay Area, Chicago, Raleigh NC, and certainly in my modestly-sized Midwestern (not Bible Belt) town.

And BTW, I'm not bashing AA/NA... I'm an actively involved member of NA myself. I just wish that certain aspects of the fellowship/program were open to question.

I wish there were more members like you simco, or at least more members like you who were more vocal with their takes on the program - both what it has to offer and what could improve.

My biggest issue with twelve step fellowships across the board is their take on MAT. It is pretty sad when you have to counsel newcomers on methadone or buprenorphine therapy that they will take a lot of flack, and likely be ostracized, belittled, ridiculed and lectured, if they open up about their treatment. Doesn't matter it is a form of treatment more than 10 times as effective as the twelve steps alone. The worst part is is that, when people are able to put up with abuse or okay with passing as a non-MAT patient at meetings, people who work the twelve steps AND who are MAT have a higher rate of success in early recovery than either those who just do the twelve step thing or those who just do the MAT thing (without any other form of peer support that is).

Just look at the literature about medicine and in particular MAT in the official AA and NA literature. The official literature questions the legitimacy of MAT itself, particularly that of NA. It is beyond disgusting and ideological, and just shows you how stuck in the past and behind when it comes to modern medicine or science such traditions are. It's really very sad. See (particularly the section on "Drug Replacement"): http://www.na.org/admin/include/spaw2/uploads/pdf/servicemat/Dec2011_NA_Groups_and_Medication.pdf That kind of drug law warrior bullshit makes me want to vomit.

Why can't we all just get along!* ;)

*Actually I already know the answer to that question: it is because the traditions (sponsor work) is something passed down primarily from individual sponsor to sponsee, strongly weighted in terms of the beliefs of "old timers." These folks often see recovery as limited to questions of abstinence and little, if anything else. A very black and white kind of picture - the abstinence only picture. And they themselves view their recovery as primarily dependent on their ability to remain abstinent (and that is, after all, the overarching, primary - if not the only - focus of any twelve step based group).

If they are not up to date when it comes to the most modern or effective forms of treatment, they will largely be informed when it comes to their views on substance use and mental illness through drug war propaganda - which views all treatment that doesn't promote its own ideology of criminality as, at best, highly problematic and circumspect. And this issue is even more problematic for those who came of age in recovery under the more intense parts of the war on the drugs (80's, 90's, 00's), those who were spoon fed all of LE's propaganda (which itself has a vested interest in criminalizing and not treating substance use disorder).

It seems very difficult for many, many Americans to think critically about anything. Just look where it has gotten us...

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, now I'm ranting... but to me, the most aggravating thing (seriously!) about addiction recovery support in the US right now is the widespread deference to anecdotal evidence. Sure, there's a role for anecdotes and intuition in this space. But I find it maddening how the recovery community tends to treat these very iffy forms of evidence on a par with well designed research.

EXACTLY! That was very succinct rant my friend :)

There is something to be said for the whole, "If I can do it so can you" thing. But there is something highly, highly problematic with the whole, "This works for me so it is going to work for you" thing.

The former: very supportive. The latter: very paternalistic, in no way lending itself to the kind of space for creativity required in maintaining and moving onwards with any individualized healthy kind of recovery.