Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Mercury - 29/10/09 'Police warn on new drug'

modoq

Bluelighter
Police warn on new drug

SALLY GLAETZER

October 29, 2009 08:12am

TASMANIAN police are tackling a "new generation" of street drugs, which are being made in a bid to circumvent existing laws.

Police said there had been a dramatic shift in the past year towards a new type of party drug with the street name of Israeli's.

The drugs are sold in capsule form and contain derivatives of methcathinone, a psychoative stimulant, the Department of Police and Emergency Management's annual report says.

The report says the drugs have been produced "in an attempt to circumvent existing legislation".

Southern Drug Investigation Services chief Ian Lindsay said police became aware of the drug and launched an operation earlier this year.

"We've seen a trend this year with a new type of party drug called Israeli's," Detective-Inspector Lindsay said yesterday.

"We conducted an investigation at the start of the year and a number of persons were charged with trafficking."

Det-Insp Lindsay said the drugs were seized in Hobart and Launceston. Three people were charged and will face court.

"Since the investigation, there's been a dramatic reduction in the number of Israeli's seized in the state ... the arrests and seizures have had an impact as to their availability," he said.

The belief that such drugs would not lead to criminal charges were misguided because methcathinone was listed as a controlled drug in Tasmania, he said.

Det-Insp Lindsay warned people against taking the capsules.

"As with any illicit drug, when you don't know what the contents are there is a risk," he said.

Drug and Alcohol Research and Training Australia director Paul Dillon agreed that methcathinone derivatives were emerging as a new generation of street drugs.

However, he cautioned against using the label Israeli's for the drugs.

"It's just a street term for something. It's a marketing pitch more than anything else," he said.

He said the term Israeli's was simply a label that could be applied to any party drug.

"People don't say they're going out to buy ecstasy any more, they say they're going out to buy pills ... they don't know what they're getting," he said.

Themercury.com.au

I suppose they are referring to Mephedrone? Never heard it called "Israeli's" before but wouldn't surprise me with some of the obscure names the news nuts make up.

Cops have it right on the ball when they say about people giving stupid names to existing drugs. Fuck, if you're going to sell something, at least know what you are selling so you can tell people.

I would suggest the term Israeli (if actually used by users) refers to the source, as in there was a factory in Israel producing this RC, I believe it was closed down only last year (or early this year) when the drug was outlawed in Israel. Prior to it being closed down they exported huge amounts of the stuff.

To be honest, I would prefer them to clamp down on mephedrone and loosen up on MDMA, although the authorities seem to think not enough is known about MDMA, they certainly don't know the long term effects of this stuff!

I would suggest the term Israeli (if actually used by users) refers to the source, as in there was a factory in Israel producing this RC, I believe it was closed down only last year (or early this year) when the drug was outlawed in Israel. Prior to it being closed down they exported huge amounts of the stuff.

To be honest, I would prefer them to clamp down on mephedrone and loosen up on MDMA, although the authorities seem to think not enough is known about MDMA, they certainly don't know the long term effects of this stuff!

Spot on with the reference to neo****cs. Interesting that they're apparently being called "Israelis" though; does this imply that they're actually being passed off as a product other than MDMA? If they're being sold in caps I would have thought it more likely they'd be sold as MDMA caps to those who didn't know better. Bigger profit margin that way unfortunately. :|

I have to agree with your stance on the legislation of 4-mmc and mdma. From what little I dabbled with 4-mmc (both the original neos and several grams earlier this year from vendors closer to home) it really scared me how fiendish it is and the physical side effects. There's now a EuroDD thread on meph addiction :( I wouldn't be at all sorry to see mephedrone disappear into obscurity.

Only slang I've heard for Mephedrone is C-4 and "MDMA that only last a couple of hours but is good shit bro". Never heard it called Israeli's....

Its far from a new drug, it really shits me how the media thinks just because they are just hearing of something its new. It does seem like 4mmc is taking off a bit and I don't see it stopping in the near future. It offers a good high and when anybody can import it relatively cheaply there are always going to be people who will do it.

Spot on with the reference to neo****cs. Interesting that they're apparently being called "Israelis" though; does this imply that they're actually being passed off as a product other than MDMA? If they're being sold in caps I would have thought it more likely they'd be sold as MDMA caps to those who didn't know better. Bigger profit margin that way unfortunately. :|

I have to agree with your stance on the legislation of 4-mmc and mdma. From what little I dabbled with 4-mmc (both the original neos and several grams earlier this year from vendors closer to home) it really scared me how fiendish it is and the physical side effects. There's now a EuroDD thread on meph addiction :( I wouldn't be at all sorry to see mephedrone disappear into obscurity.

Actually, Mephedrone has become valuable for what it is these days - given its had alot of mainstream exposure, its given people who wouldn't be into RCs access to it - thus its become peoples drug of choice. I've heard of people willingly paying similar prices for what they'd pay for MDMA, knowing its mephedrone.

People seem to complain about the side effects of this drug - after they've binged on several grams. Hate to burst your bubble, but if you binge on MDMA like that, the after effects are pretty on-par... i remember doing stupid things like that in my younger days, and in all honesty - meph binge comedowns were probably a bit easier to get through.

The simple solution to those problems is, don't be a fool - as much as you want another dose, know your limits and take it easy and be safe... There have been deaths from mephedrone - i read on another forum the other day, some guy posting that his mate died, who had taken the drug before... After consuming a few grams with his mates over in the UK... goes to show how quickly people assume something is 'safe' because it was legal... /end ramble

Didn't know the factory got closed down. Now it makes sense that those terrible smelling brown capsules haven't been going around since the start of the year.

Oh I hate it when anyone is quoted saying:
"People don't say they're going out to buy ecstasy any more, they say they're going out to buy pills ... they don't know what they're getting," he said

It's an assumption. It's a hell of a lot easier to talk to your mate about 'pills' in public than 'ecstasy' or some other even more obvious name. In my wide social circles, 'pills' always meant MDxx, although people know it's not always going to be MDxx. Would be nice if folks would quit making assumptions about what 'drug users mean when they say pills'.

Anyway, to the topic, it was 2007 when the neos were going crazy first right? Does that mean it takes 2 years for things to get to Tassie or 2 years for the media to cover it, or both? ;)

As much as i cringe at some of the names the media make up for drugs, i did have a conversation with a guy a few months back, he asked me if i had heard of "israelis" as he and all his friends were on it. He had no idea what chemical it was, only that it wasn't MDMA, so the Mockery might actually be right in this case.

Hate to burst your bubble, but if you binge on MDMA like that, the after effects are pretty on-par... i remember doing stupid things like that in my younger days, and in all honesty - meph binge comedowns were probably a bit easier to get through.

What if you don't get MDMA comedowns, rather a sense of contentness and a feeling of wellbeing afterwards?

Does Mephedrone offer this? I don't think so.

^ haha I would wager you haven't done a whole lot of MDMA if you don't get comedowns. I never used to but the more pills I took the worse they started getting.

I must be the exception to the rule, I still don't get MDMA comedowns after years of use. Even my amphetamine comedowns are barely noticable :)

Lol'd when I heard some mephedrone was coming to town in the next few weeks. I wonder if it will compete with the pure MDMA I've heard is coming as well haha

Luude: You're not likely to get an afterglow these days dude... unless you got some REALLY pure mdma.

Last time i had an MDMA afterglow was like 2004... some random white butterfly pill...

These days, the crap in pills is just garbage - these kids cant even fathom what an afterglow is. I know you get some pure molly - but not everyone can get ahold of that...

I wondered if this really is new and groundbreaking information for the hobart police
I figure if anyone asks for an Israeli in the next few weeks they are an undercover

'Israelis' came in waves few batches... and was one of the names given too the capsules(by clever dealers) with mixes of creatine + caffeine and either 4mm/mephedrone or any similar analogue

been around for a couple of years now... peak of popularity at the start of the year.. but the side effects outweigh any positive you gain pretty quickly....
they are still quite popular now seeings as research chems are 200x easier to get than mdxx in tasmania(thx war on drugs:p).. its not rare for douche bags to make rounds in clubs advertising these as mdma although now most are homemade mixes and not from those dodgy companys like aussievibe...neodoves etc