Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Australian - 5/09/2005 'Totally addicted to ice'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Totally addicted to ice
Amanda Hodge
September 05, 2005

AFTER five years working with addicts on the streets of Melbourne, Sian Kennedy knows a drug-induced psychosis when she sees one.

So when one of her female clients turned up on the steps of her office last week, "completely non-responsive and making strange, jerking movements as if she was trying to crawl out of her skin", Kennedy didn't hesitate. Within minutes the woman, unaware of who she was or what she was doing, was ferried by ambulance to the closest hospital psychiatric ward.

Seven days later she is still there and still out of it. It could be another week or more before she is fit for release, perhaps to do it all over again.

That is the nature of crystal methamphetamine, a pure, highly addictive and dangerous drug that began carving an Australian market among established and new drug users when the heroin drought bit in the late 1990s.

Dubbed redneck cocaine in the US, its most lethal quality is that it's cheap. Known as crystal meth or ice for its pure crystalline form, it can be bought for as little as $50 a gram.

The Australian Federal Police says Chinese, Hong Kong and Malaysian syndicates, previously involved in heroin importation, switched to the synthetic drug because it can be manufactured almost anywhere cheaply and, unlike cocaine and heroin, does not depend on crop cycles.

The syndicates have been targeting the wealthy Australian market with devastating success. A recent National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre study found the methamphetamine problem is now as widespread as dependent heroin use was during its peak in the late '90s. As many as 73,000 people in Australia are addicted to methamphetamine, about 1.5 times the number of heroin addicts.

But, unlike heroin, there are no established treatment programs or legal replacement drugs for addicts.

It is a mark of crystal meth's alarming side effects that it has made a big name for itself among the nation's hospital emergency departments, psychiatric services and police.

Last month a 36-year-old Sydney financier, charged with numerous counts of animal cruelty and bestiality, added to the drug's notoriety when he blamed his behaviour on serious mental health problems induced by ice. Brendan McMahon left a trail of dead and dying rabbits - skinned, tortured and brutalised - in the streets and lanes behind his office before he was apprehended.

Kennedy says the drug, "almost guaranteed to make people really, really crazy", has firmly taken hold in Melbourne. In her previous job as a youth drug counsellor at a residential clinic, it accounted for up to one-third of all admissions. "I don't know whether it's because it has a higher purity than speed or [because of] the way people use it," she says. "People who inject ice are pretty out there: they're the ones that walk down the street and scream at random strangers."

The AFP and state police forces believe there is a link between rising crystal meth use and violent crime. "If you look at all the gangland killings in Melbourne in the [past few] years, all the major players in that are associated with the methamphetamine industry," Detective Senior Sergeant Jim O'Brien of Victoria's clandestine laboratory unit says.

In Victoria, crime families are believed to control distribution but in other states the market is allegedly sewn up by ethnic clans and outlawed bikie gangs.

Crystal meth can be consumed in a number of ways - it can be snorted, injected, inserted as a suppository or heated in a glass pipe and the vapours inhaled - and its relative purity gives new users a powerful high.

It instantly sends a flood of dopamine and serotonin, two feel-good chemicals the body releases naturally, to the brain, creating feelings of euphoria and increased alertness. But the comedown can be equally spectacular, leading to depression and, in a growing number of cases, serious drug psychosis.

A recent NDARC study found a 58 per cent rise in the number of recorded hospital admissions for stimulant-related psychosis since 1999. Between 2003 and 2004, 3190 methamphetamine users in Australia were hospitalised for mental and behavioural disorders.

NDARC spokesman Paul Dillon says the drug is crossing established social boundaries. "It's not just people who go to nightclubs or inject drugs," he says. "Students use it, people use it for working, to lose weight, to stay awake. A drug like ecstasy is used in a very specific context, but not amphetamines."

Crystal meth abuse has skyrocketed in countries such as the US, The Philippines and New Zealand, where its use has been connected to an increase in violence and violent crime.

In the US, where the drug is popular among the gay community, it has also been linked to a sharp increase in the incidence of HIV. Almost one in three gay men who tested positive for HIV in Los Angeles last year reported using crystal meth, according to a US study reported in Newsweek last month.

Dillon disputes this correlation, saying although the drug is a disinhibitor and often linked to hypersexual behaviour and unsafe sex, "there's a whole pile of other factors coming into play". Police say there's no evidence that Australia's gay community has been similarly affected.

"Some sections of the gay community took to ice very quickly in 1998-99," says NSW Drug Squad commander Detective Superintendent David Laidlaw. "But they have now become aware of its highly addictive nature and impact due to the increased risk-taking behaviour associated with the drug, including the likelihood of contracting blood-borne viruses such as HIV and hepatitis C."

All the same, Dillon and police across the country attest to the severity of the crystal meth problem now gripping Australia. "It's the issue in Australia at the moment in terms of drugs and has been for the last couple of years, but it doesn't get a lot of attention because not many people die from it," Dillon says. "The big issue with amphetamines in Australia is the whole problem of psychosis."

Sydney's St Vincent's Hospital director of emergency Gordian Fulde estimates that between 2000 and 2004, there was a five-fold increase, in his hospital, in cases involving violence associated with the use of crystal meth. He says the medical community knew some years ago, from overseas reports, that the drug and associated physical and mental problems were on their way. But he had no concept of what he was dealing with until he came face to face with a user in the throes of a full-blown psychotic episode.

In the worst cases, the scenario is frighteningly familiar.

"The police car is rocking in the ambulance bay," Fulde says. "We need six people to get anywhere near [the patient] to physically restrain them, to sedate them. The extreme examples are like nothing else in the world. There's just this unchecked violence and animalistic behaviour. They get paranoid and there's no boundaries, nothing in the patient's head stopping the action. They can beat their own head to a pulp on the side of the wall."

In 25 years as emergency department director he says "nothing has scared me as much as these people".

Royal Perth Hospital psychiatrist Nigel Armstrong says his hospital has been forced to put extra psychiatric teams into its emergency department because it had become a "de facto psychiatric clinic". "Clinically, we see a lot of people in ED with drug-induced pathology and the ones that give us the most grief are those with amphetamine-induced psychoses because we have to find [secure] beds for them," he says.

Many users recover once they give up the drug, but a significant proportion of users don't.

National Drug Research Institute director Steve Allsop says "anyone who uses enough crystal methamphetamine on enough occasions - even if they're psychologically robust - can end up with mental health problems".

Problems range from low-level anxiety and depression as users are coming off the drug, to psychosis that requires hospitalisation, a problem that is often dose-related.

Sustained and regular use of ice has also been known to lead to strokes and heart attacks even among young victims.

The chemicals used to make the drug are so toxic that those who regularly inhale it risk having their teeth crumble.

Allsop says as the potency of crystal meth has increased in recent years, so has the corresponding harm. AFP border and international network national manager Mike Phelan says this is because of improved and expanded production.

The AFP is forging closer ties with its Southeast Asian counterparts to track the sale of precursor chemicals and stop production before ice reaches Australia's borders.

AFP and the Australian Customs Service, with Fijian and New Zealand police, raided a lab in Suva last year capable of producing 500kg of ice a week, almost all of it bound for the Australian market.

"I think we're making a lot of headway, particularly over the last couple of years we've made some very large seizures and lab takedowns, which is extremely important," Phelan says.

Import volumes are stabilising, but he fears they won't necessarily stay that way.

"I predicted a few years ago that we would see a big rise in the use of methamphetamines," Phelan says, "and I would say we're still looking at that original prediction."

From The Australian

Im under the impression that a meth-amphet addiction would be easier to kick then a heroin addiction?
thats not to say either is easy... but opiates are fucking bad...

Originally posted by idiots
Dubbed redneck cocaine in the US, its most lethal quality is that it's cheap. Known as crystal meth or ice for its pure crystalline form, it can be bought for as little as $50 a gram.

i wish.

And the Ice pIPE Is smokin... lol

Yea i know a few tweakers( reg IV users ).. and fuck they shit me.. parionid fukkers.

And these tweakers think that theres rat poison in Ecstacy... makes me laugh when i pop a pill and they go "whoa Man thats like rat Poison"

Tweakers....

I would have to say Meth Is bad.. but in Moderation, and with a Strong Will ! its Ok ???

Peace Out

Dialated665

This article wasn't too bad compared to what we usually get in the Australian media. Although that sentence about having your teeth crumble is pure bullshit.
Having experienced meth psychosis numerous times and ongoing paranoia even after stopping all use for the last year, I'd say this article gives a fairly accurate description of all the dangers of meth and isnt over the top and sensationalised like the herald sun's garbage.

whats the relationship they are trying to make with taking methamphetamine and been gay?
i found that very amusing...
i better stop taking it.. i could turn gay.

Re: Re: NEWS: The Australian - 5/09/2005 'Totally addicted to ice'

lok1 said:
Originally posted by idiots
i wish.

thats what i was thinking, theyre way off.

For 50 bux??? I'm so tempted to ring up the AFT and ask where they get their shit from...

almost guaranteed to make people really, really crazy"
This made me laugh... I done enough ice in my time, and had trouble quitting, but I have never had psychosis or suffered from any other mental conditions. If you get some sleep and take care of yourself and don't overdo it it can be beneficial, if anything methamphetamine can help you out even if you take it everyday... especially for students (BTW i passed uni this sem thanks to ice).

Although in the past a couple of my friends ended up with psychosis and depression and were hospitalised, but in the end they cannot generalise by saying that methamphetamine is that bad... Just because tweakers act paranoid and a bit crazy and arn't role citizens that don't fit into society does not give the media the right to start talking shit, and for the police to pretend they are doing there jobs by protecting society from these dangerous drugs and so called dangerous people rather than protecting society from real criminals.

A decent article I thought, not a bad read.

Ignore the prices it says its American, its completely irrelevant.

Methamphetamine is a very powerful addictive stimulant. Its easy to advance from using meth to abusing meth no matter what your method of administration is without even realising. A drug with such powerful potential needs to be treated with care and is often not, as a result will earn such a reputation. Of course the worst of such abuse cases will be reported on, an average recreational user is not interesting.

We seem to be in the middle of the amphetamine generation and its not all coming up roses for everyone.

^Do you really think it was "a decent article"? I thought it was absolute rubbish. It follows a pattern of media panics both here and overseas about drugs, particularly amphetamines, that can be traced back to at least the '70s, if not earlier. Sure, all the negative side effects mentioned can and do happen, but it's not the norm. There was definitely a spike in negative consequences of meth use around 2001, as we Aussies got used to more powerful forms that we didn't normally see. This coincided with a reduction in availability of heroin. Don't forget too that the harms associated with a particular drug are also impacted on by psycho-social and socio-cultural factors ("set" and "setting") - you can't just blame the drug. As long as we live in a society where intoxication for pleasure is frowned upon, and where there are significant legal and social consequences of using drugs deemed socially unacceptable, then there will always be scope for crappy media articles like this - whether it be GHB, heroin, ecstasy, meth or whatever as the target.

complete bullshit... i hate the media sometimes - hell, even $50US is better than what its worth here...

funny that gays in the us - 1-in-3 have HIV? i'd assume thru IV use?

What would make meth popular among gays besides? half the time you cant get it up...

Not that the article changed my view or anything but i intensely dislike Meth n the meth scene. Who ever gets the best rocks is the man. Cunts gotta have a burn of the cracky b4 they do anything, even b4 they have a burn of the cracky, and then 1 more burn of the cracky after that. When speed heads boast of knowing a cook whos real hardcore n has weapons, n how many days theyv'e stayed up for n the rocks they can get n for how cheap. n this n that i cud not give the slightest bit of shit in the world. N when i tell'em i do acid n k every know n then, "ohh fuck that shit that shit fucks with ya head man, you cud stay in the trip for ever, n have flash backs n shit" that Frankly i think its all a bunch of wank wank. Like rats for cheese. Shuv ya crakie up ur ass n get kicked in it you strange creep. Or maybe im being to judgemental here. But then those cunts are so judgmental toward me. Oh well.

^ What???

It instantly sends a flood of dopamine and serotonin, two feel-good chemicals the body releases naturally, to the brain

Pharmocology Boffins; Is this accurate?

I agree with Fry-d-, it was a good article. Some of you just get a little to upset when the media starts digging up the negative impacts of certain chems. Whilst it did push some hysteria and some quite out there statements, they did at least offer some difference of opinion which is what made the article good.

dada i think you've just been hangin out with a bunch of uneducated dickheads, u get them in all scenes.

eggman88888 said:
^ What???

It instantly sends a flood of.....

Pharmocology Boffins; Is this accurate?

I agree with Fry-d-, it was a good article. Some of you just get a little to upset when the media starts digging up the negative impacts of certain chems. Whilst it did push some hysteria and some quite out there statements, they did at least offer some difference of opinion which is what made the article good.

Meth stimulates the release of dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin (mostly the first 2) - do a search on BL and you will get all the info you want (the "my nana can't tell the difference..." one is good :) )

"Difference of opinion" - are you serious? Maybe about meth use & HIV transmission - the rest of it was pure prohibitionist propaganda. If we want to increase the harms caused by meth use - keep publishing useless horror story articles like this one.

lok1: "Im under the impression that a meth-amphet addiction would be easier to kick then a heroin addiction?"

I have a mate who has, at seperate times, had a heroin addiction and an amphetamine addiction. He told me that giving up heroin was "child's play" compared to kicking speed.

Witch Doctor said:
dada i think you've just been hangin out with a bunch of uneducated dickheads, u get them in all scenes.
What percentage of meth users would u say aren't "uneducated dickheads"

All i can say is people"dont waste hundreds of dollars staying on the ball, sleep is essential, put ur time n energy into something real as apposed to sitting there talking about how good things are gonna be"

THE AUSTRALIAN
Crystal meth is the new heroin
Amanda Hodge
September 05, 2005

CHINESE drug syndicates are targeting Australia as a growing market for crystal methamphetamine - a cheap, addictive and highly dangerous drug that police and doctors warn is the new heroin on Australian streets.

Known as ice for its highly pure crystalline form, the drug can be bought for as little as $50 a gram and is earning a sinister reputation as users swamp the nation's hospitals, psychiatric services and courts.

A National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre study has found the methamphetamine problem is now as large as heroin abuse was during its peak in the late 1990s. As many as 73,000 people nationwide are addicted to methamphetamine, about 1 1/2 times the number of heroin addicts.

Australian Crime Commission spokesman Kevin Kitson said many Chinese syndicates involved in heroin importation had switched to synthetic drugs because they were not crop-cycle dependent and could be manufactured in almost any location.

The commission's latest drug report found the syndicates were deliberately carving out a market in Australia, and noted a rise in the median purity of crystal meth on the street market.

Smoked, injected, snorted or anally inserted, crystal meth releases a flood of dopamine and seratonin to the brain, removing inhibitions and creating a feeling of euphoria.

But the comedown from the drug can involve depression, and in a growing number of cases serious psychosis.

The NDARC study found a 58 per cent rise in the number of hospital admissions for drug-related psychosis since 1999. Between 2003 and last year, 3190 methamphetamine users across the nation were taken to hospital for mental and behaviour disorders.

Sydney's St Vincent's Hospital emergency care director Gordian Fulde estimated violence associated with crystal meth in his hospital had risen five-fold between 2000 and last year. "I have been emergency department director here for 25 years and nothing has scared me as much as these people," Dr Fulde said.

"We see people who are totally disinhibited, totally violent and out of control."

Link:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.a...55E2702,00.html

Please reply here to posts from:

THE AUSTRALIAN Crystal meth is the new heroin 5/9/05

I completely agree with Rah, meth is one of the horniest drugs, for me at least. I become a sexual demon when on this stuff.. it's great!!

But $50 a gram.. I wish, I'm paying 3 times that