• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS - MP says ecstacy isn't dangerous (The Advertiser, 13/05/06)

zaineaol.nu said:
drugging out people with problems wont fucking hielp them - especially with e. HELLO YOU COME DOWN - THE SITUATION ONLY GETS WORSE.

I like that she's trying - but it's pushing a horse uphill man - there is enough conclusive evidence to show that MDMA can kill people - if not by overdose so commonly, but other adverse reactions.

IMO The users themselves are evidence enough its clearly not good for you.

I whole heartedly support decriminalisation of MDMA and related chems - but not legalisation in whole - or the idea of giving it to people suffering from trauma, as I personally believe it's just fuel for disaster.

zaineaol.nu,

I feel your argument is good, I also partly agree to you. Have you used codeine? have you used PURE MDMA, (no you haven't, not too many people on the face of the planet have).

We're talking PURE MDMA, not just MDMA, I'm talking the billion dollar laboratries with the right Purification equipment required to make it *PURE*. Not just mix and dip and dot and cook... In other words what I am saying is, there is years and years of research that has been used by psycologists for the use in trauma patients (ask a Uni student, usually 2nd year).

I suppose what I am saying is- Take this twice a day, once when you wake and once after lunch. Then take this purple one at bed time. And it's not like the lunchtime and waking pill are going to be mitsubishi motors logo's or nike tick's. They're going to be some code named product like *865-CLR* or something.

As for MDMA, I think it's just better to give those people SSRI's or 5-HTP prescriptions!

SpecTBK=D

I think the short term memory problem is often overlooked, and one of the most worrying side effects from mdma. I had a foolish period of my life for about 6 months many years ago, where i was using ecstasy every single weekend. Now, use is maybe once every long weekend or other rare special event, but my memory is not the same.

I know another man who fell into a seizure after (foolishly) "double dumping" about 4 years ago. Apart from completley losing the previous 12 months of all his memories of everything he knew, his short term memory is virtually non existant. These are the things you tend not to hear to much about in reference to the detrimental effects that pills have on people. Of course, tobacco is still much worse. much much worse. But as long as British American Tobacco Australia and all the other major producers of cigarettes in this country are donating huge sums of cash to major political parties, tobacco will stay the legal danger drug of choice.

Spec TBK:

Regardless of how many of us have used pure MDMA, IMO i've seen evidence enough to suggest that quite possibly MDMA has the ability to cause death of it's own accord - in all recorded deaths in regards to 'ecstacy', where something other than overdose has caused death (allergic reactions??) MDMA was the ingriedient present in all those pills - not taking into account other things - but it was there. note: i'm not talking about pills where PMA or other drugs are concerned.

If say 200-500 people where to be put on mdma to treat trauma, and one died purely because of his own chemical makeup/genetics - i think it's fair to outlaw the said drug. That is definately enough evidence to suggest it would be stupid to use the drug to treat trauma. There are plenty of other drugs capable of creating euphoria/getting rid of worries. But i think after something has occured - the best solution is to just move on in life.

I won't say i don't use MDxx class drugs, because i do. I've seen adverse reactions (nothing fatal) but it happens. In the end, it's just not worth the risk - and this woman's argument is pointless.

As they have said, how can you label a drug that has taken X amount of lives not dangerous. Taking drugs like this are the decision and risk of the user, and the user alone - i don't think any one should be allowed to advocate it's use after it's proven to cause damage to any extent - be it mental, physical, emotional (to oneself or those around them).

Also, as you stated about dosing, and the purity - I don't think that matters in the end. As if to say, i'm patient x, i've been prescribed a dose of 20mg twice a day of MDMA. I take the first dose that morning i get the script - and it kills me. Either way, regardless of dose (as we all know, a medicinal dose would be quite different to a recreational dose) it was going to kill me. That is where it's not cool. They know mdma has the potential to do this. Anyone who has done even 3hrs of homework on mdma would know that.

:) Party safe

Last edited:
zaineaol.nu said:
Taking drugs like this are the decision and risk of the user, and the user alone - i don't think anyone should be allowed to advocate it's use after it's proven to cause damage to any extent - be it mental, physical, emotional (to oneself or those around them).

Hence why all drugs should be legalised/decriminlized in small quantities, just like Tobacco and Alcohol.

Also, as you stated about dosing, and the purity - I don't think that matters in the end. As if to say, i'm patient x, i've been prescribed a dose of 20mg twice a day of MDMA. I take the first dose that morning i get the script - and it kills me. Either way, regardless of dose (as we all know, a medicinal dose would be quite different to a recreational dose) it was going to kill me. That is where it's not cool. They know mdma has the potential to do this. Anyone who has done even 3hrs of homework on mdma would know that.

Anyone who has done 3hrs of research on Human bodily reactions to Chemicals would also know that any slight inbalances in chemical makeup- can drastically change the effects on the person, using the substance/s. MDMA being a stable Molecular built chemical, the influence is alot greater, especially with chemicals such as; HCl, NaOH. Who knows, the drug being more pure could have more adverse reactions on people, maybe not- for all we know it could be the cure to Cancer if injected directly into Tumours.

What I am saying- the drug in question with this discussion is not the POTENITALLY LEGALISED substance.

SpecTBK=D

Here is the Hansard of what was actually said. I urge people to read this rather rely on the media reports.

I raise the question of the testing of pills at rave parties. I wrote to the then health minister, Lea Stevens, at the beginning of last year about this, seeking her approval for such pill testings to be done at rave parties in South Australia. I suspect that it was a cabinet decision rather than the Hon. Lea Stevens' own decision, but the argument she advanced to me in her response was that the government could not approve pill testing because the pills would be given back after testing. Quite clearly if you do not give pills back to those who offer them for testing there is no chance that they will offer them for testing in the first instance. So the refusal to test is counter-productive if we want to minimise harm.

International experience of pill testing shows that the large majority of potential users, when they are shown the results and find that the pill they have submitted does not contain what they thought they had bought, hand them back. They do not use them but throw them away. Pill testing, therefore, results in a reduction of usage. If we believe in reducing—

The Hon. A.M. Bressington: There is no evidence to support that at all.

The Hon. SANDRA KANCK: That interjection probably does need to be included on the record, because there is plenty of evidence to show that pill testing does produce that positive result. In fact, I believe that we should have a controlled testing program in South Australia, with the government supervising it, so that we can get our own results and so that the sorts of claims that the Hon. Ms Bressington is making can be shown to be incorrect. If we believe in reducing harm, logic dictates that we should have pill testing at rave parties. The Rann government's 2002 Drug Summit recommended such testing.

The Hon. A.M. Bressington: And that wasn't stacked at all, was it?

The PRESIDENT: Order! The Hon. Ms Bressington will cease to interject.

The Hon. SANDRA KANCK: I have an interesting little book here called The Outlaw Antidepressant, which is about ecstasy and rave culture.

The Hon. A.M. Bressington interjecting:

The PRESIDENT: Order! The Hon. Ms Bressington has had her opportunity and she will cease to interject.

The Hon. SANDRA KANCK: I did not interject when she gave her information. Thank you, Mr President.

The Hon. SANDRA KANCK: Well, it deserved to be interjected on and I am now responding to it. This book was produced by a young woman who wanted to do this as her PhD thesis. Unfortunately, the university she was attending refused to allow her to do it on the basis that it was about illegal drug use. This is obviously a very erudite dissertation, but I will quote what she says, as follows:

Two points must be made here: firstly, this suppression of knowledge and understanding from the university merely supports the theories of Foucault and Bourdieu. Secondly, why is it acceptable to travel outside of one's culture and into another's for the sake of anthropological research and take drugs in the context of various rituals and yet be exempt from a similar bias? It is ethnocentric and one-eyed of Western academia to view drug-taking rituals in native cultures as acceptable for researchers to participate in yet a similar investigation into a Western subculture can't be done.

And herein lies the problem. We cannot get to the truth of so much of this if the research cannot be done. Samantha Lee Kelly went ahead and did this and has published it herself in order to get some of the truth out about ecstasy.

When the Hon. Ann Bressington wrote to me last year (when she did not have the title `honourable'), she said in her email to me:

When we (parents and other significant adults) tell them that drugs are harmful we expect that professionals will support that statement. What we get are some professionals who are prepared to test these pills that contain dangerous substances.

There is a huge illogicality in that. We cannot know that they contain dangerous substances unless they are tested.

The Hon. A.M. Bressington: MDMA is dangerous on its own.

The Hon. SANDRA KANCK: This is good; I will get to that in a minute. If testing is permitted and the pills are shown to contain dangerous substances, the health professional can advise the potential user of that fact. With no testing, how can any professional say to that person that what they intend taking is dangerous, as Ann Bressington was asking of me at that stage? If it is an ecstasy tablet, can a health profession¿al, in all honesty, speak the truth if they say it is harmful? The drug 3 4-methylenedioxy-n-methylamphetamine, MDMA, or as it is more commonly known, ecstasy, was originally used as a psychotherapeutic drug. The US Drug Enforcement—

The PRESIDENT: Order! The Hon. Ms Bressington will come to order. The Hon. Sandra Kanck has the call, and interjections are out of order.

The Hon. SANDRA KANCK: She is a bit obstreperous! The US Drug Enforcement Administration put forward a proposal in 1984 to schedule MDMA but, before the hearings commenced, in 1985 the DEA invoked powers to place it on schedule 1 on an interim basis.

The Hon. A.M. Bressington: In 1984?

The Hon. SANDRA KANCK: Yes, 1984. Schedule 1—

The PRESIDENT: Order! I will not tolerate any more interjections from the Hon. Ms Bressington. In this council sometimes people will stand up and disagree with your point of view. That is democracy. You will allow the Hon. Sandra Kanck to continue her speech.

The Hon. SANDRA KANCK: Thank you, Mr President. This schedule 1 that MDMA was placed on in 1985 is for `damaging and addictive drugs without medical use'. This scheduling onto the highest rating on the list was done before any hearings on the DEA's request that it be put on its list, and before any tests were done to find out whether it was, in fact, dangerous. In the same year, this listing by the DEA then resulted in the UN recommending that it be placed on schedule 1 of the 1971 Convention on Psychotropic Substan¿ces—again, without any actual scientific basis. It was like dominos falling; if the US did it, it must be bad and everyone should follow.

A coalition of doctors, scientists and therapists—one of whom is Professor Lester Grinspoon, emeritus professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, so he is no slouch—then initiated legal proceedings in response to the DEA's action. The arguments that were given against MDMA cited studies of MDA on animals and ignored any evidence about MDMA on humans. Despite that intellectual dishonesty by the US government in those hearings, the court decision in 1986 was for MDMA to be placed in schedule 3, which allowed for research and limited usage while the hearings took place—and remember this happened back in 1985.

The judge's decision was then appealed against. That was ultimately overturned, and the emergency scheduling of MDMA was reinstated as schedule 1. This doctors group again appealed, and the Appeals Court ruled that there had been `improper interpretation of accepted medical use' and recommended reconsideration of the DEA's decision. It was deleted from schedule 1, but a month later, still with no scientific studies and still no hearing, it was reinstated.

We have been told that ecstasy is a dangerous substance. We do not have the evidence; the Australian government has followed down the path of doing this without the evidence. That original 1985 listing of ecstasy, or MDMA, on this schedule 1 is still being contested. So, more than 20 years later, the matter has not been resolved. Yet we are being asked to believe that this is a dangerous substance. We do not have evidence that it is a dangerous substance. In fact, I was saying to people last year, after the bushfires on Eyre Peninsula, with all the trauma that was associated with it, that one of the best things you could probably have done for the people on Eyre Peninsula who had gone through that trauma was to give them MDMA. However, one dare not advocate that, because we are all being tough on drugs, aren't we!

It seems to me that we have not learnt the lessons of alcohol prohibition. What happened when we had alcohol prohibition was that we had the sorts of alcohol that were very dangerous to people; people died as a consequence of drinking alcohol. People die as a consequence of taking drugs for exactly the same reasons—because they are illegal and because they do not know what is in the drugs—and we just keep on putting our head in the sand.

In the letter Ann Bressington sent to me last year, she said:

As a treatment provider of a very successful program in the northern suburbs I can only state that your intentions are absolutely counter-productive to the objectives of what most believe to be our harm minimisation policy.

Underneath that, she has three bold dot points, stating:

× To reduce the harm

× To reduce demand

× To reduce supply.

I wrote back and told her that I think we do need to do that. We need to get a message across to all people that all drugs—licit and illicit—are not the way to go. In her letter to me—and also in her Address in Reply speech—the member has extolled the virtues of the Swedish program. Sweden does have tougher drug laws than neighbouring states, but the consequence appears to be higher mortality rates amongst its drug users and, surprisingly, amongst the addicts undergoing compulsory treatment.

For some time, I have received unsolicited emails from a group called DACA, and I assume that other MPs have received them as well. When one goes a little further into the DACA web site, one comes across a very interesting article that states that Christians should reject injecting rooms. This, of course, raises some other interesting questions for me when we start dealing with issues that are essentially health issues as moral and religious issues. I have printed off about three pages from the section that states that Christians should reject injecting rooms. It says things like, `All Christian denominations condemn drug taking as evil because of its self-destruction and self-centred lifestyle.' Well, I do not know how many Christian denominations condemn the use of alcohol and tobacco. Having been brought up a Methodist, yes, there was one denomination that definitely did condemn them as evil. However, 95 per cent of drug taking is in the form of alcohol and tobacco, and most churches do not condemn them.

Some of the headings are quite frightening, such as `Drugs are evil'. Well, is alcohol evil? I do not know how many members in this place would say that alcohol is evil, and I do not know how many members in this place would say that tobacco is evil. Certainly, the Hon. Ann Bressington uses the latter of those two, and I doubt that she would be saying that it is evil.

An honourable member interjecting:

The Hon. SANDRA KANCK: No; I'm reading off this, that is, that `Christians should reject injecting rooms.' It is a very disturbing document, particularly knowing that we as MPs receive this information from DACA in our emails, and it is not clear who this group is—

The Hon. J.M.A. Lensink interjecting:

The Hon. SANDRA KANCK: Well, it is always interesting to know your enemy. I find some of the stuff that is in there very disturbing. I remind members who might think that all drugs are evil that Jesus partook of wine. He did not have any silly laws that said, `This drug is legal, and this one isn't legal.' He drank wine, and when he was asked on one occasion to produce more of it, he did so, on request.

The Hon. D.G.E. Hood: He didn't have ecstasy, though.

The Hon. SANDRA KANCK: But ecstasy is not a dangerous drug.

http://www.parliament.sa.gov.au/catalog/hansard/2006/lc/wh100506.lc.htm

Yesem...

I don't know if others knew this, but I have known for the last 2 years or so... about Australias scheduling of MDMA, copying America- It must be tru syndrome, where we have fallen quite a few times!

In other words, I feel Although it is stated as illegal- isn't there some form of Scientific evidence to be brought forward for the drug to be scheduled? Australia didn't do it... so therefore if Australian law states evidence has to be produced to create a law than- REFUND ALL THE FINES, COMPENSATION FOR JAIL TIME etc...

Also Im with Sandra... VOTE 1 Sandra Kanck- Prime Minister!

SpecTBK=D

Thanks for posting that jb... good to read the background to what she said. Of course the media have picked up on the most controversial statements to run their article ;)

A symbol of her party's decline
EDITORIAL OPINION
16 May 2006

WHY is Sandra Kanck still the only Democrats representative in State Parliament?

Her insistence that ecstasy is not a dangerous drug normally would have resulted in her being forced from Parliament by her own party.

The risks of taking ecstasy are accepted and well-documented, even if Ms Kanck has produced some argument to the contrary.

She has chosen to challenge the accepted view in an irrational and irresponsible debate.

Now Ms Kanck is trying to mix her messages by shooting the messenger.

She claims she was misrepresented by The Advertiser. She was not.

Ms Kanck's comments were accurately reproduced from the Hansard record of parliamentary debate.

Ms Kanck knew the consequences of what she was saying, as was clear in the last part of her rambling speech.

Having already announced she will not stand for re-election, Ms Kanck admits she is "not scared of a public backlash" and "quite happy to take a position against the mainstream".

Simply because something is mainstream, she says, is not a good reason to support it.

This obstructionist and petty style of politics does not seem appropriate for the sole state representative of a once-proud party fighting for survival.

Ms Kanck's future within the Democrats is for the party's members to decide - not anybody else.

Even if she is disendorsed, Ms Kanck could choose to defy the membership and remain in Parliament.

However, the message to Democrat members is clear and obvious.

If Ms Kanck is the struggling party's only state parliamentarian, the Australian Democrats might as well be dead.

From The Advertiser

Hurt or heal?
OPINION
16 May 2006

0,1658,5154325,00.jpg

IT GOES hand-in-hand with the dance scene. Millions of doses of ecstasy go down the throats of young Australians every year. For some it's a necessity; a night out dancing is not the same without the sensory "feel-good" from ecstasy.

But it obviously comes with risks - anything from anxiety attacks to the rare but real risk of death.

But then again, not even aspirin is risk-free. So do the 112 deaths over three years linked to ecstasy use justify labelling the drug as "dangerous"?

This is a tricky question.

According to Emergency Research Fellow at the Royal Adelaide Hospital Dr David Caldicott the answer depends on whether you're talking about the pill - ecstasy - or the active ingredient that pill users are after - MDMA.

He says MDMA, or 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine, is relatively safe in low, pure doses, and is actually being tested in the United states as a therapeutic drug for use in pain management for the terminally ill, and during counselling for post-traumatic stress disorder.

"Within the therapeutic trials there have been no adverse reactions," Dr Caldicott says.

The doses administered in these trials tend to be at the lower range than recreational users ingest, they are pure MDMA, and administered intermittently, "so it's quite different to using ecstasy recreationally."

At high levels, MDMA becomes toxic - but this does not mean the chemical should be demonised, Dr Caldicott says.

Any drug at high doses - even paracetamol - is potentially toxic.

And that is the main problem with ecstasy - the unregulated dose of this key ingredient.

The uncertain levels of MDMA combined with the mess of other unknown drugs and impurities that may have been included by backyard manufacturers is what makes the pill so potentially dangerous.

South Australian Democrats Senator Sandra Kanck caused an upset last week when, in a wide-ranging speech advocating harm minimisation, she suggested MDMA should have been given to those traumatised by the Eyre Peninsula bushfires.

Dr Caldicott says the U.S. pilot studies show she has a point, but Paul Dillon, spokesman for the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre is more cautious.

While MDMA has potentially positive uses in a controlled setting, he says that does not make it a "safe" and risk-free drug given individuals react differently to drugs - even over-the-counter varieties.

He also says it is unrealistic to talk about pure MDMA outside a therapeutic setting because that's not what people are taking.

"Most users will never see pure MDMA, they're not rats and it's not done in scientific conditions," Mr Dillon says.

"Even with therapeutic (uses) we still don't know about long-term effects. MDMA research is still in its infancy."

Dr Caldicott says that here in SA, ecstasy pills tend to have low doses of MDMA, leading regular users to "double-stack" or "triple-stack" - take two or three pills at once in order to get the buzz.

This was a major problem when the toxic Red Mitsubishi pills, with their high dose of MDMA, hit the market in 2004.

Red Mitsubishis were implicated in the death of a South Australian man, and possibly a Sydney girl, with dozens of other users hospitalised.

Each pill had about 110mg of MDMA, compared to the 70mg that SA users might be more used to finding in their ecstasy.

The saying that 'the dose makes the poison' is "very much the case with MDMA", Dr Caldicott says.

In high doses, MDMA can interfere with the body's temperature regulation - this in an environment where users are often dancing in hot, crowded spaces - and if the body overheats (hyperthermia) victims suffer organ failure - commonly dubbed organ "meltdown" - and usually die.

This is a rare consequence says Dr Caldicott. Most of the ecstasy patients he sees suffer heart palpitations and the sense of anxiety this can bring on.

Despite this, most users feel safe taking the drug.

There are half a million Australians who take ecstasy each year, and many of them more than once.

For most, the side-effects are short-term consequences like memory loss and "mid-week depression".

The other bad news for ecstasy users is the pills often also contain the addictive stimulant methamphetamine.

But regular users tend not to worry about the ill-effects; they take the drug to complement their night, experience the come-down and then life proceeds as normal.

However researchers warn the long-term consequences are uncertain and may be severe. What has them worried is the effects of high or repeated doses on the serotonergic system - the brain's ability to produce serotonin.

This chemical plays a role in regulating mood, sleep, appetite and sexual desire. There are emotional consequences when serotonin levels are depleted, depression and anxiety disorders prime among them.

While the jury is still out, the concern is that there could be permanent brain damage.

From The Advertiser

Drug trials show patient benefits
OPINION
16 May 2006

TWO major trials under way in the United States are testing the medicinal benefits of MDMA, the key ingredient in ecstasy pills.

In one trial, researchers are investigating MDMA's use in addressing anxiety caused by pain in terminally ill patients. Anxiety (and depression) exacerbates pain, so alleviating this is important for palliative care.

"What MDMA does is it appears to break that anxiety component and therefore reduces the suffering of people with terminal disease," says Royal Adelaide Hospital's Dr David Caldicott.

In another trial, MDMA is being administered during counselling sessions for sufferers of post-traumatic stress disorder, to soothe and help them open up to their therapist and delve into their ordeal as a means of overcoming it.

The Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, the organisation sponsoring the research, says the results have been promising, and there are plans for pilot studies in Israel and Switzerland.

"If the preliminary results we are getting in our US pilot study (11 out of 20 subjects already treated) continue to the completion of the study, we'll have solid evidence that MDMA-assisted psychotherapy could become a safe and alternative treatment for PTSD," the group's founder, Rick Doblin, says in an email sent to Democrats Senator Sandra Kanck.

Researchers in Spain also conducted a similar trial for female rape victims.

From The Advertiser

Lone Dem 'on a high' over stand on ecstasy
May 17, 2006

SOUTH Australia's sole Democrat MP says she's "riding on a high" after receiving widespread support for her claims that ecstasy is harmless and should be given to trauma victims.

Sandra Kanck told state parliament last week there was no evidence to suggest MDMA - the active ingredient in ecstasy tablets - was dangerous and that the drug should have been made available to traumatised victims of last year's fatal Eyre Peninsula bushfires.

While she stood by her comments to state parliament, Ms Kanck said they had been taken out of context.

She admitted some people had been upset by her statement, but said she had been talking of the therapeutic use of MDMA, not backyard-manufactured ecstasy.

Despite party disquiet over her comments and calls for her to resign, Ms Kanck said yesterday she had received tremendous support.

"I didn't receive a single phone call from a party member saying, 'What are you on about?"' Ms Kanck told ABC radio in Adelaide.

"The calls I've had have all been incredibly supportive - so much so I'm almost riding on a high at the moment.

There had been calls "from former members saying, 'You've got my vote back - I didn't vote for the Democrats last time and you've got my vote back now"', Ms Kanck said.

More than 110 deaths nationwide have been linked to ecstasy in the past three years.

AAP

From The Australian

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,19148169%5E2682,00.html

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19162475-23289,00.html

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,19140681%5E910,00.html

Finally people are standing up for what they believe in! I think Australian Democrats MP Sandra Kanck should be supported by the highest level of academia and politics in what is a groundbreaking stand against the established, and in my opinion "flawed" perspective on certain medicines.

Never thought I would say this about anything printed in the Advertiser, but at least two of those articles aren't too bad.. A big thumbs up to Sandra Kanck for getting the issue in the media, and a thumbs up to at least some journalists/newspapers for printing something that isn't utter sensationalist crap. If we had more reporting like this, things might really change.

Kanck's counter-attack
By LISA ALLISON
07 Jun 2006

DEMOCRATS leader Sandra Kanck has accused state party president Richard Pascoe of "pouring petrol on the flames" of the furore following her statements to Parliament that ecstasy was "not a dangerous drug".

She made the claims in a letter to rank and file members, dated May 25, and obtained by The Advertiser. It says The Advertiser coverage of her speech was a "beat-up" and that she was considering legal advice.

As well as accusing the media as "ever eager to run stories of conflict and disunity within the Democrats", she also said: "State president Richard Pascoe then poured petrol on the flames by demanding I resign within 12 months."

She also said Mr Pascoe was "yet to acknowledge" she had been "misrepresented" in respect to her comments on the therapeutic use of MDMA. (The Advertiser took Ms Kanck's comments about ecstasy directly from the official parliamentary record.)

Her comments that the pure form of the drug - MDMA - could have been used therapeutically to treat the Eyre Peninsula bushfire victims for post-traumatic stress have prompted an unprecedented special meeting - understood to be on June 24 - where she will address party members to explain her comments.

Ms Kanck, the sole Democrat in the SA Parliament, would not comment about the letter yesterday.

Mr Pascoe said he "stood by his comments" and they were "made in good faith and with the interest of the party foremost in my mind".

Outgoing national party president Dr Nina Burridge said she was concerned the internal party matter would "reflect badly" on the party. A spokeswoman for SA Democrats Senator Natasha Stott Despoja said the senator declined to comment. It is understood she is deeply dismayed at the events.

From The Advertiser

Nice thread :)
Would be nice to see the stats on which the hyperbole is based?

BT