• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Industry revolts as federal health agency proposes ban on discount booze

"But the agency found pricing is "recognised as one of the most effective measures to reducing alcohol-related harm" is such a ridiculous thing to say. I have just spent a couple months backpacking Europe where alcohol is cheap as fucking chips and honestly I have witnessed a lot less excess drinking and bad behaviour caused by alcohol from locals than I would in Australia on any given weekend. People who want to get drunk are going to get drunk no matter what it costs them and this shit is just more shameless revenue raising. The problem is binge drinkers and alcoholics are then going to have less money for other more essential things.

I remember when they introduced the alcopops tax a few years ago (even now the prices are 1.5 times greater than they were before that bloody tax) and all it did was cause me and my mates to switch to buying straight bottles. All that did was cause us to drink more alcohol more quickly, they claimed they were reducing binge drinking but my personal experience is it stayed constant or even increased. The problem in Australia is the culture that surrounds drinking and it will take a lot of work to change that, if it is even possible. Simply raising the cost of cheap and/or easy to drink forms of alcohol is not achieving anything except filling the Governments coffers.

I really hope they don't do this shit to beer and straight spirits or I am seriously fucked, I spend a ridiculous amount as it is. :|

Last edited:
"But the agency found pricing is "recognised as one of the most effective measures to reducing alcohol-related harm" is such a ridiculous thing to say. I have just spent a couple months backpacking Europe where alcohol is cheap as fucking chips and honestly I have witnessed a lot less excess drinking and bad behaviour caused by alcohol from locals than I would in Australia on any given weekend. People who want to get drunk are going to get drunk no matter what it costs them and this shit is just more shameless revenue raising.

I remember when they introduced the alcopops tax a few years ago (even now the prices are 1.5 times greater than they were before that bloody tax) and all it did was cause me and my mates to switch to buying straight bottles. All that did was cause us to drink more alcohol more quickly. The problem in Australia is the culture that surrounds drinking and it will take a lot of work to change that, if it is even possible. Simply raising the cost of cheap and/or easy to drink forms of alcohol is not achieving anything except filling the Governments coffers.

honestly could not have said it any better myself..

sayin "recognised as one of the most effective measures to reducing alcohol-related harm" is a straight out fuckn joke

Im an alcoholic and will deter me even more... NOT. If u wanna drink u gunna drink

it's not all doom & gloom VB is back to full strength...

The problem in Australia is the culture that surrounds drinking and it will take a lot of work to change that, if it is even possible. Simply raising the cost of cheap and/or easy to drink forms of alcohol is not achieving anything except filling the Governments coffers.

Well said.

On a recent trip to the US I was reminded how much we pay for alcohol here in Australia. Amazing how cheap it was - not as inexpensive as some other countries but still a big difference.

VB is true beer, none of that watered down shit, if you cant enjoy VB you dont truly enjoy the beer taste imo :p

I'm a card carrying member of the local German club and I can say that their 50 odd beers leave vb in their dust. If you honestly enjoy vb you have no taste and probably have several pairs of crocs but only one colour of wife beater

I prefer my beers like my pills, imported. But in saying that I dont mind drinking aussie beers either, im no beer snob. Just no light thanks.

I'm a card carrying member of the local German club and I can say that their 50 odd beers leave vb in their dust. If you honestly enjoy vb you have no taste and probably have several pairs of crocs but only one colour of wife beater

haters gonna hate' enjoy your overly priced beer.

Agree. Germans do it properly.

VB tastes like its got caustic soda left in it from the cip clean on the tank.

Toyota make the best cars that will last you a long time, whatever you do just dont get a ford, /endofftopic