• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun - 12/03/07 'Fallen skateboard idol dies a fugitive'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Fallen skateboard idol dies a fugitive
By Mark Buttler
March 12, 2007 02:00am

0,,5414029,00.jpg

Fallen idol ... A champion skateboarder whose career was destroyed by drugs has died a fugitive murder suspect. Police had been looking for Ben Pappas since his ex-girlfriend's body was found in a river.

A CHAMPION Melbourne skateboarder whose career was destroyed by drugs has died a fugitive murder suspect.

Ben Pappas - who used to earn $15,000 a month as a teenage skate star in the US - was dragged from the water by police divers off Victoria Pier at Docklands.

Homicide detectives had been looking for Pappas, 29, since the body of his former girlfriend, Lynette Phillips, was found at Dights Falls in Abbotsford eight days earlier.

Her body had been wrapped in a doona cover and weighed down.

Police had spoken to Pappas's family and former skateboarding contemporaries in an attempt to find the fallen star over the fatal bashing of Ms Phillips.

A bulletin was sent to all police with Pappas's details last week.

The homicide squad was called to Docklands on Saturday after his wallet floated to the surface.

It is believed Pappas's body was weighed down, but police are investigating whether he took his own life.

Among those mourning his death were his brother Tas and friend Renton Millar, who both grew up skating with Pappas in Melbourne and also went on to international success.

Pappas rose to world No. 2, but with the money and success came the drugs that ruined his career.

He tried cocaine as a 15-year-old and was addicted by the time he was 17.

In 1999, aged 21, he was caught trying to smuggle 103 grams of cocaine into Melbourne Airport in the sole of a skating shoe.

"It (cocaine) just came with the party," he told the County Court.

"When I was 12 it was kept away from me, but the older I got, the more I saw it and the more I got into it."

Judge Pamela Jenkins said it appeared his parents and major sponsor, Hardcore, had abrogated their responsibility to adequately supervise Pappas while he was travelling overseas during his teenage years.

"If this is a fair and accurate observation, then it is reprehensible that you were effectively neglected while some of those same persons were also making money as a result of your success," she said.

Pappas avoided jail but copped a heavy punishment. His passport was suspended for three years, meaning that he couldn't skate in America.

Renton Millar's father, Keith, said the news was tragic. Mr Millar said he could recall taking his son to the Prahran skate ramp more than 20 years ago and watching a seven-year-old Pappas showing his talent.

"He was a good kid, but like a lot of kids he got into drugs. He was a very talented young man and well-respected in the world of skateboarding," Keith Millar said.

Mr Millar said the removal of his passport was a huge blow to Pappas.

"He really only had one dream. When that was taken away, he lost his direction," he said.

Lynette Phillips, 27, was a recovering long-term drug addict who had battled heroin and amphetamine dependency.

Her Balaclava family spoke of their grief in a death notice published in the Herald Sun.

Her mother wrote: "Your heart was too big for such a little girl and you crossed so many different paths always trying to fill it.

"You believed you had forever but it was taken from you. You always gave, but never like this and now you have given all. I'm sorry, so very sorry.

"What I wouldn't give to change one little thing, to hear the phone ring just one more time, to see you and hear you and hold you again."

Pappas was the second big skateboarding name to have died in Melbourne in the past week.

Queenslander Shane Cross died when a motorcycle on which he was a pillion passenger ploughed into a hotel wall at Fitzroy early on Wednesday morning.

Cross and his rider had earlier been partying at a city nightclub.

Herald Sun

Last message seals skateboard high flyer's fall
Andrea Petrie
March 13, 2007 - 1:02PM

benpappas_narrowweb__300x307,0.jpg

Ben Pappas ... lucrative skateboarding career ended after he was convicted of smuggling cocaine.

A former international skateboarding champion - the prime suspect in his ex-girlfriend's murder - scratched a message of love to his family in concrete before apparently taking his own life, police believe.

Benjamin Pappas, 29, once ranked as the world's second-best skateboarder earning $15,000 a month, is believed to have scratched "Love u LL", "Mum" and "Nan" into concrete at Victoria Harbour, Docklands, near where police found his body in the Yarra River in Melbourne at the weekend.

Police are yet to determine what "LL" means.

A small patch of blood was also found nearby but investigators are awaiting the results of forensic tests to determine if it was his.

A post mortem examination on Pappas' body provided no indication that he was assaulted or sustained a major injury prior to hitting the water, prompting detectives to assume he took his own life.

Pappas was the main suspect in the murder of his former girlfriend, Lynette Phillips, 27, whose body was found after it floated to the surface at Dights Falls, Abbotsford, on March 2.

She had been bashed and her body was wrapped in blue material and weighed down. Police believe she was in the river for up to five days before walkers made the grim discovery.

Ms Phillips was a recovering drug addict who was studying to become a counsellor to try to turn her life around.

Following her death, a statewide alert was issued for all police to look out for Pappas after he was identified as a person of interest and he disappeared.

A passer by who found Pappas' wallet at the wharf handed in to police and search and rescue officers were called in to scour the water. His body was found about 7.20pm last Saturday after being in the water for some time.

Pappas' lucrative skateboarding career ended after he was convicted in the Victorian County Court in 1999 for smuggling 103 grams of cocaine from into Melbourne Airport in the sole of his skating shoe.

He avoided a jail term but his passport was suspended for three years which prevented him from travelling overseas to compete.

During the hearing, Pappas told Judge Pamela Jenkins that he had made "all the possible mistakes I can".

He said that at 13 he was smoking marijuana "flat out" every day.

He first used cocaine at 15. Two years later he was a regular user and at 18 it was "part of my diet".

"I thought I was in control, but obviously I wasn't," he told the court.

SMH

Such a waste, I knew Ben back in the Prahran skate days as a kid, boy did that kid have talent.