• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun - 11/12/07 'Anger at drug taking, arrests and overdoses at rave'

The Herald Sun believes at least one reveller swallowed drugs in his possession to avoid being caught.

lol yeah he had a tenstrip of acid at once.. then got arrested and searched

It's a bit slanderous to say RaveSafe aren't trained - or even volunteers for that matter...

Should rave parties be banned?

Yes : 34% (436 votes)

No : 65% (811 votes)

Total votes

Total of 1247 votes

That's good to see.

juice_soldier said:
Rave safe are useless if you ask me, un-trained volunteers who hand out fruit and lollipops to rave-goers.. WOO GO RAVESAFE... what a joke.

Hm, I hope you are being sarcastic. They are well trained and do a lot more than hand out fruit/lollies. That's been my experience anyway!

The ITM thread is certainly interesting!

juice_soldier said:
Rave safe are useless if you ask me, un-trained volunteers who hand out fruit and lollipops to rave-goers.. WOO GO RAVESAFE... what a joke.

That is completely uncalled for, and completely untrue - the Ravesafe Peer Helpers are well-trained and have helped a heap of people.

Rave Safe is a good organisation, but trained medical professionals are a lot better for having at raves, I feel rave safe is more of a tent to go to if you're too fucked up on drugs or alcohol, and they'll help you with water etc... where as if you're too fucked up, a medic can keep an eye on bloold pressure, pulse, etc.. but you're in a bright lit room with paramedics and equipments and hospital beds around you... not exactly a good setting if you're just tripping balls on a high dose of LSD experiencing ego death and someone calls the medics when they spot you.

I think anyone can be a RaveSafe volunteer if they apply and they'd go through some sort of brief training and they're not allowed to be on anything. I normally just see them spraying water on people and stuff.

It just sucks that pill overdoses are actually becoming more common now. It used to be someone just spewing from a good pill (common with most drugs in highish doses), or if a fatality was rarely an outcome it was water intoxication with high doses of MDMA. Now we hyave PMA, RC's, random crap! in pills and pill testers just are not good enough anymore,,,

especially with people like this politician going on, not surew how old the interview is.

mdma is evil

^^Well i know alot of ravesafe volunteers. and i've met the chick who runs ravesafe here in melbourne. Most of them know nothing of pharmacology and/or have any real knowledge about drugs and interactions. In my experiences with RaveSafe, all i've seen is them handing out candy and fruit. They're presence may be useful, but they certainly don't really do enough to call them a harm min. group.

juice_soldier said:
^^Well i know alot of ravesafe volunteers. and i've met the chick who runs ravesafe here in melbourne. Most of them know nothing of pharmacology and/or have any real knowledge about drugs and interactions. In my experiences with RaveSafe, all i've seen is them handing out candy and fruit. They're presence may be useful, but they certainly don't really do enough to call them a harm min. group.

that being said...if you got a whole lot of trained aod workers (alot still wont know pharmacology or interactions as well as most on here) people would pick on them for not being peer.

maybe we should see more bluelighters don the rave safe cap and hand out some chappa chapps...beats bitching on the net=D

FURTHURMORE
wheres my herald sun article about the 3 ppl who od'ed at daft punk in melb mid week last week???????:p

catasawrus said:
FURTHURMORE
wheres my herald sun article about the 3 ppl who od'ed at daft punk in melb mid week last week???????:p

Do you mean you posted it here? Cause I can't find it.

But I'll get it for you anyway. You're welcome :)

Ambulance anger after drug overdoses at Daft Punk concert
Karen Collier and Georgie Pilcher
December 14, 2007 10:45am

THREE critical drug overdose victims were rushed to hospital after last night's Daft Punk concert at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl.

Furious ambulance officers have accused security and organisers of putting lives at risk by ignoring appeals to have an ambulance and paramedic at the event.

Metropolitan Ambulance Service operations manager Paul Holman claimed the concert was plagued with problems, including gatecrashers leaping fences and clashing with security guards.

Promoter Michael Coppel Presents is reviewing security reports and investigating the allegations.

Two men, aged 20 and 25, were taken to hospital after falling unconscious and having convulsions from a potentially deadly cocktail of illegal drugs. One was discovered slumped on the lawn outside the venue.

A woman, 20, was also transported after using amphetamines.

All three are now recovering.

St John Ambulance treated another 35 patients for dehydration, asthma complications and cuts and bruises. A doctor, nurse and 13 first-aid volunteers were on duty.

But Mr Holman claimed organisers cut corners for profit by refusing to pay extra for a properly equipped ambulance and supervisor.

Instead, paramedics had to be called to the scene because of the drug overdoses.

"It's outrageous. They put money ahead of lives," Mr Holman said.

"We are quite angry about this ... We warned about drug overdose problems and these people have ignored us."

About 13,000 attended last night's Nevereverland concert.

Police arrested two concertgoers for drunkeness.

The latest overdoses come almost a week after 14 drug takers were treated at Ballarat's Kryal Castle in what medics described as a "war zone". Three patients spent time in intensive care.

Moorabool Shire Council is meeting police and health services today to determine the future of live events at the venue. Kryal Castle says it is under contract to hold another rave next year.

The MAS charges about $2000 for an ambulance and paramedic's on-site service. St John Ambulance charged a similar amount for their staff last night.

A bigger crowd is expected when electro act Daft Punk plays again tonight.

Mr Holman said those running many other popular events, including Big Day Out, closely consulted with the MAS to assess potential dangers.

St John Ambulance state superintendent Andrew Mitchell said the event, which had been rated a medium risk, ran "extremely smoothly".

Mr Mitchell said the crowd ranged from early 20s to early 30s and had a different atmosphere to a rave party.

About three extra first-aiders will be on hand tonight because of extreme temperatures.

The security company in charge of the event, New Breed Security, refused to comment.

Smashed glass and rubbish was strewn outside the venue early this morning.

Herald Sun

Revellers overdose at Melbourne rave
AAP
December 14, 2007 06:55pm

THREE revellers were rushed to hospital after overdosing on drugs at a Melbourne dance concert, only days after 14 people were treated for overdoses at a rave party in Ballarat.

The Metropolitan Ambulance Service said two men and one woman were taken to St Vincent's Hospital last night in a critical condition and 30 were treated by paramedics at the Daft Punk concert at Melbourne's Sidney Myer Music Bowl.

A spokeswoman for St Vincent's Hospital confirmed the trio, all in their 20s, had been discharged by this morning.

In the Ballarat incident, 14 people were taken to hospital with drug overdoses last Saturday from the Ultraworld rave party held at the city's Kryal Castle.

Three of them needed life support in intensive care after consuming a potentially deadly mix of drugs, including GHB (gamma-hydroxybutyric acid), ice and amphetamines, according to Ballarat Health Services.

Following a meeting today of Moorabool Shire Council, The BHS demanded that rave parties be banned in the region.

BHS chief executive Andrew Rowe said the Ballarat area was an inappropriate place to hold a rave.

"We do not support rave parties and I call on the Moorabool Shire Council to take action to cancel the permit issued to the organisers of the event at Kryal Castle," Mr Rowe said in a statement.

"The demands placed on BHS to cope with significant numbers of drug overdosed patients stretch our resources to breaking point and compromises the care that we can provide to other patients."

Moorabool Council met today with police, Kryal Castle owners and rave organisers.

The council said it would consider the future of Kryal Castle's permit to hold raves at a meeting next Wednesday.

BHS said its Base Hospital Emergency Department treated 48 patients on Saturday night and 148 on Sunday.

Acting Inspector Michael Glenane said police would be present if the next proposed rave at the medieval-style tourist attraction goes ahead in February.

Kryal Castle says it is under contract to hold the rave next year.

MAS spokesman Paul Bentley said the organisers of last night's Never Ever Land rave, which drew 13,000 revellers, had declined an offer by the ambulance service to prepare a health response plan prior to the event.

"They said they didn't need it," Mr Bentley said.

He said a health response plan was in place for the Summadayze New Year's Day rave to be held at the same venue.

Herald Sun

Wow.. thats really stupid.

We don't have many OD's up here in Brisbane. But when Mayhem/Pulse [biggest underground dance party organisers up here] runs a rave up here they always have paramedics and a room with beds ready for anything from sprained ankles, alcohol related dangers, and drug overdoses or scares.

The only time I've seen an overdose that wasn't just someone spinning out from a candyflip or too much pills, was the death in Easster 2006, which was alcohol overdose only (and a weak heart) and dancing too hard. Me and others saw him drop and seize and the paramedics were there fast with a stretcher. He stabalised a bit in the paramedics room, then his signs went out of control and they made everyone outside move to get him to an ambo quick.. he died later on in hospital.

Rave/dance party and even rock event organisers should always have paramedics hired or they simply dont care about peoples safety.

I think it should be forced if the event is of a certain size.

yeah especially an event/concert as large as daft punk (13,000 ppl) that's just stupid.
But that is also not very many oD's compared to the kryal castle event which had 5,000 ppl 48 ppl needing hospital assistance and 148 the next day? But a real rave like ultraworld goes alot longer i guess. Sounds like ultraworld did what they could tho with paramedics on site, cops, sniffer dogs etc. Its upto the punters too really, and melbs always had a major issues with g... I used to get flyers from some of the promoters saying how it was/is ruining the rave/party scene.

Still hope that's not the end for Kryal. It'd bring in alot of money for the area, and hopefully they can work something out and the next few dont see so many OD's.

The thinking behind not having paramedics at an event like Daft Punk would simply be on behalf of the organisers trying to distance themselves from calling it a rave let alone a "dance event". The entire event was promoted like a normal concert but with their roots in dance music, an event like Daft Punk was always going to attract a fair amount of drug use.

It's no different to how pretty much all events by the major event promoter in Melbourne have moved away from having Ravesafe at their events, I'm not in the circle enough to comment on the reasons behind this so apologies if I speak out of turn, but my understanding and assumption is that this is for the same reason; to mainstream the events and distance it from public perception of drug use.

poledriver said:
that's not the end for Kryal. It'd bring in alot of money for the area, and hopefully they can work something out and the next few dont see so many OD's.

id still like to know how many were actually OD's
i dont cosider a bit of unresponsiveness or even a sleep an overdose.

Ballarat Health Services angry at vote on Kryal Castle raves
Matthew Schulz
December 20, 2007 12:15pm

HEALTH authorities have condemned a country council for allowing raves to continue at Kryal Castle, near Ballarat, despite 14 overdoses there this month.

In secret talks last night, Moorabool Shire voted against withdrawing the operator's permits despite earlier saying they were considering cancelling the permit, the Moorabool Leader reports.

Instead the council handballed the issued to the Victorian Civil Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), calling on that authority to review the existing planning permit.

But the area's main hospital has slammed the decision, having previously called on the council to ban all future events.

Ballarat Health Services chief executive Andrew Rowe said the December 9 rave – attracting 5000 people - had stretched the hospital to "breaking point".

Fourteen people were rushed to the Ballarat Base Hospital Emergency Department on the morning of Sunday, December 9, after overdosing on illicit drugs at the Kryal Castle rave event.

He said three of the 14 patients were put on life support machines after overdosing on a deadly cocktail including GHB (gamma-hydroxybutyric acid), ice and amphetamines.

Several of the patients abused, threaten and spat on staff, after being saved.

“We do not support rave parties because of the illicit drug use at these events and the massive amount of hospital resources that are used to treat drug affected patients,” Mr Rowe said.

He said there were "major deficiencies" in the event's organisation and it was simply luck that nobody had died.

The next party scheduled for the castle will be on February 23.

The council agreed to check whether the operator breached any conditions in the December 9 event.

Last week, the mayor had hinted at stronger action, saying the council would cancel the permit or have raves excluded.

"There's no point hiding under a rock. We need to do something," Mayor Di McAuliffe had said.

The council wants the Victorian Civil Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) to review and amend the existing planning permit and the event's emergency management plan.

It previously amended the event's planning permit in April after several other ravers overdosed at this year's February event.

Herald Sun

It will be allowed ofcourse.

I mean think about how much gum, ciggies, stupid shit, comedown food, mentos, and BULB money their eceonomy will miss out on.