Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News: Darwin man given $100,000 after drug error

Verybuffed

Bluelighter
Darwin man given $100,000 after drug error

A Darwin man has been given $100,000 compensation after he was wrongly accused of bringing drugs into Australia in shampoo and conditioner bottles.

Neil Parry was arrested in June last year at Darwin Airport and charged with trafficking 1.6 kilograms of liquid ecstasy in two bottles of Pantene.

After spending three days in jail last year, and having friends' homes searched, Mr Parry was granted bail.

Customs later admitted the toiletries contained no illegal drugs andall charges against Mr Parry were dropped.

On Monday Mr Parry told ABC Radio he had been given $100,000 in compensation for his ordeal and an apology.

"It is not worth it, no," Mr Parry said.

"I would rather it never happened," he said.

He said most of the money would go towards his legal expenses.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8377312

What a fucking joke. This guy get's his reputation slandered and tarnished an no doubt lost his business venture money too and all he got was barely enough to cover the cost of defending himself ?

Gee I just love our fantastic judicial system, isn't Democracy great!!

^ What business venture money? I only see that they took two bottles of pantene off of him. I don't really know what a lawyer costs but I wasn't aware it was in the order of 100K to mount a defence of a false drug importation charge? Honestly the first thing I thought when I saw this is what a lucky bastard, they can lock me in a dungeon with no food and water for 3 days whilst tarnishing my reputation all they like if 100 grand is in it for me at the end.

I know this woman who's daughter was given heart medication instead of adhd meds... She sued the hospital and just won an 80,000 dollar settlement.

This story is fucked. Poor guy, he deserves more compensation then what he has received after the government has put dirt all over his name and subjected him to this bullshit. How the hell did they confuse shampoo with ecstasy in the first place!?

Yeah, seems like there's something missing to this story.

Surely there's no way this could've got this far if there was actually shampoo in the bottles, I mean I can understand a false drug test from the bottle or something, but could they really have charged him before testing what was inside the bottles? Seems strange.

Yea it took 3 days for them to figure out that it was negative? Would take me 3 seconds to figure out if it was GBL/GHB etc. We are talking about GBL etc arnt we? Hate it when people call it liquid ecstasy. Got nothing to do with MDxx at all. Then again ecstasy can be many things thesedays :S Poor guy he is.

I can't believe I am seemingly the only person who doesn't think this bloke has it too badly, he has like two years average wages for 3 days of being placed in what was probably the lock up at the local police station. What reputation was tarnished? Whatever small inconvenience that was has to be totally wiped clean, and then some, as a result of this verdict.

I honestly can't help wonder how guilty this guy was, like if he bribed the right people or caught a lucky break from shitty testing. I don't see any educated customs officer looking at the contents of a fucking pantene pro v bottle and thinking hey this is GBL, so either he suffered this whole "ordeal" from a retraded customs officer or he was pulling something a bit suss and got away with it. Guilty or not I think this dude got off lucky, whether ideal or not, how many people do you reckon have their doors booted in and guns pointed in their face by the bloody cops in unsuccessful raids and get zero compensation? I would willingly endure much more than this dude apparently has for 100K, am I really the only one?

Darwin man Neil Parry was wrongly accused of smuggling drugs in two bottles of shampo

Darwin man Neil Parry was wrongly accused of smuggling drugs in two bottles of shampoo

Darwin man Neil Parry was wrongly accused of smuggling drugs in two bottles of shampoo.​

here

^ What an incomplete news story, Look how big the pic of him is and how little amount of details the story provides. Why did they bother publishing it?

yeah DM the story sounds fishy. Why give him that much for a 'drug error'? why not just say ok we stuffed up, cya buddy.

Hopefully we get to hear more about what happened.

Yeh... pills can be anything these days eh sust? ... hahahahahahah :p ;-)

i dunno, criminal compensation and the like can end up being quite a lot of money.
considering that everything the corporate media writes is absolute bullshit, we really don't know what the story is here, we don't know what the guy went through or what how much money this ordeal cost him.

besides the cost of legal representation (lawyers ain't cheap), other expenses are taken into account for these sorts of claims.
loss of earnings is a big one. as is medical treatment - for all we know he may have required a lot of counselling. also not cheap.

i really don't think the guy is guilty, and even if he was, does it matter that much?

if nothing else, i'm glad he got compensated for the trauma of police raids carried out on him and his friends. i've been the 'lucky recipient' of a police 'home visit' consisting of 5 pigs and a video camera, based on a false allegation.
it was fucking horrible, a nightmare. i'm sure anyone who has been raided knows what i mean.

having your face and name splashed all over the media (even when it's over and you've been completely legally vindicated) surely amounts to a tarnished reputation. if you take the word of the fuzz (ha ha ha - but seriously, they would've nailed him if they could've) on this, he had nothing to do with this "crime" but he will be forever linked to it in the public mind.

i hope the dude can get on with his life and isn't yet another innocent victim of the so-called war on drugs. i reckon he deserved more, poor bastard.
sure, not all of us that have bad run-ins with the law get generously compensated, but i think more of us should.