• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Daily Telegraph - 27/03/09 'High School Students eat deadly angel's trumpet'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew

Ku-ring-gai High School Students suspended for eating deadly angel's trumpet
The Daily Telegraph
March 27, 2009 12:00am

0,,6551108,00.jpg

Toxic ... student have been suspended for eating the potentially lethal angel's trumpet. Picture: Grant Nowell

FIVE students have been suspended after eating a toxic and potentially deadly plant at a public high school, causing one of them to fall ill.

Three Year 10 boys and a Year 10 girl ate some of the dangerous plant - angel's trumpet - after a female student took it into Ku-ring-gai High School, in Sydney's north.

When one of the male students became unwell, the school called an ambulance and he was taken to hospital.

The boy was held overnight for observation and released the following morning.

A Department of Education and Training spokesman said the leaves and flowers of the plant, grown at home, were brought to school by a Year 10 girl on Thursday last week.

A police youth liaison officer will now speak to the students involved and their parents about the dangers of ingesting the poisonous plant.

"A note is being sent to parents this week to remind them of the dangers of students eating plant material that is not food and the matter will be raised at the next Parents and Citizens meeting," a departmental spokesman said.

He said the issue had been raised at two special assemblies for Year 10 students.

"The girl who brought the plant to school has received a long suspension (up to 20 days) and each of the other students has been given a short suspension," the spokesman said.

Angel's trumpet, with white, yellow, mandarin or red blooms, is related to deadly nightshade. Eating any part of the plant, particularly the flower, can cause severe gastro-intestinal symptoms, delirium and even death.

Children as young as 10 have been hospitalised after ingesting hallucinogenic cocktails brewed from the plant, native to sub-tropical South America.

Immediate medical assistance should be given to anyone who ingests any part of the plant or has an eye exposed to it. Symptoms may include intense thirst, difficulty with speech, vomiting and diarrhoea, fever and confusion.

News.com.au

Symptoms may include intense thirst, difficulty with speech, vomiting and diarrhoea, fever and confusion.

News.com.au

Its even worse than it sounds. A friend of mine tried this. Imagine trying to deal with the symtptoms mentioned above whilst also experienceing something like a delerious LSD nightmare.

DO NOT ADD TO YOUR LIST OF THINGS TO DO BEFORE YOU DIE

^ sounds similar to datura 8o I dont see why you would wanna try something like this

I noticed this stuff growing down the street years ago. A few reads of trip reports from Erowid snuffed out all curiosity...

I remember my grandmother pointing this out to me as a kid telling me to stay away because it is posionous. She called it devils trumpet and said it was called that because kid's had fallen sick because they used to flowers as pretend trumpets.

It's got datura like alkaloids i think.

yeah this happened in europe to alot of dumb kids who ate them. Seems there not educated on this sort of stuff.

I personally think that if they made school a lot more interesting and exciting to go to then kids would not think about doing this type of stuff at school... Sure you will always have the kids that smoke weed at school but that will always be around I reckon.

Lucky for me I've never been interested in consuming plant material to get high except for the occasional shroom of course that is lol.

I tried datura many many MANY years ago...

Reminded me of AVILS, but gave me a sore throat, and lost my ability to focus on anything for a few days. ( couldn't read any books arrrrgh)

I'm sure it has it's place somewhwere, but fuck it feels toxic .

DON'T DO DATURA KIDS, IT'S WACK

I've smoked Brugmansia flowers from time to time. Nice and mild stoned feeling..but you really do have to know your body and what you can and can't have before trying.

It is pretty toxic....

i tried datura many many many years ago...

Reminded me of avils, but gave me a sore throat, and lost my ability to focus on anything for a few days. ( couldn't read any books arrrrgh)

i'm sure it has it's place somewhwere, but fuck it feels toxic .

DON'T DO DATURA KIDS, IT'S WACK

rofl!

Brilliant on the part of the Daily Telegraph, publishing a photo of what Datura looks like, just in case any Emo schoolkids want to give it a crack, and weren't completely sure what it looked like... :!

i've got this shit growing in my backyard.

my old man told me that angel trumpet is horrible nasty shit.
think i'll give it a miss

One time I woke up to all this evil looking brown liquid in saucepans and mugs around the house and found out a friend had been trying to brew this stuff. He got the wrong plant though so nothing happened - sounds like that might have been a good thing.

hmmm still don't know why my post got deleted.....

just asking if someone had taken this stuff -

Wow if the kids were smart enough to research the plant and realise it was a psychoactive deleriant then surely they would have stumbled across some trip reports? The active components are the same as belladona, mandrake etc right? All also lethal?

I'm sure I read about an identical incident happening in Australia about 4 years ago... silly school kids 8)

I took this once when I was a foolhardy teen. Made me throw my guts up and have diarrhea for days. NEVER AGAIN!!

Atropene alkaloids are nasty. The plants are rather common though, I spotted some Devils Trumpet on someones front lawn just yesterday and pointed out to my friends that it'll get you fucked up. Hopefully they don't get any ideas.

Angels trumpet flowers have been known for a long time to be poisonous. I remember as a child enjoying some light reading "Australia's dangerous creatures" and there was a section in the book on poisonous plants. The reports in this book were about children dying because they eat the plant as it is pretty to them. Yes it was a sanitized book, but great as an education tool. Who would have thought that magpies, dingoes, cassowaries, kangaroos, jellyfish, snakes etc could be so evil.

The high school kiddies on the other hand had different ideas. I wonder if they also thought about licking some cane toads?
*couldn't help myself that Simpsons episode was on the other night*

Stupid kids, I would try pretty much every drug, but I ruled out these plants a long time ago. FUCK THAT SHIT!

Stupid kids, Datura stamonium is a fairly deadly plant and sure while the active ingredients such as scopolamine may bring on deliriant effects (cant say i know too many people who wish to experience that anyway) its something people should stay away from as each plant contains different amounts of poison so its hard to judge a good dose (If there is such a thing). Im surprised nobody died those kids are lucky & also very stupid, also why the hell would you want to take it in a setting such as school i cant imagine anything worse ugh!