• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Bumper crop of drug overdose scares misses the real story (SMH)

akkeri

Bluelighter
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Opinion/...-the-real-story/2005/03/08/1110160822611.html

Bumper crop of drug overdose scares misses the real story
March 9, 2005

With the help of the internet, users are learning about what they are taking, with beneficial results, writes Dan Stapleton.

If media reports this week are to be believed, the war on drugs is far from won. Our children are doomed to a lifetime of schizophrenia because of all the marijuana they're smoking in primary school. Heroin use is down, only to be replaced by other life-threatening drugs. And the manufacture and consumption of amphetamines is out of control.

Scary stuff. "The Federal Government should be 'seriously concerned' about the abuse of party drugs, including the potentially lethal GHB, as heroin dries up and new drugs gain popularity," a report in the Herald told us, citing the latest report by the International Narcotics Control Board.

Others talked of "clandestine drug laboratories" manufacturing huge amounts of amphetamines from the pseudoephedrine present in over-the-counter cold and flu tablets and there were the reports of the mental effects of cannabis.

Not to be outdone, the ABC delivered a sensationalist, marijuana-themed Four Corners, introducing us to a group of doped-up kids, some of whom had started smoking as young as 12. The ABC dubbed the program a "wake-up call", hammering the "youth at risk" line home with the alarmist proclamation that, "Many young people begin smoking cannabis before they have even hit their teens - and experts are warning that the younger the smoker, the greater the risk of mental illness."

It would be easy to draw the conclusion that Australia is in the midst of a drug-use crisis, yet nothing could be further from the truth.

At a time when regression to old-fashioned morals is de rigueur, it is essential to keep the debate balanced.

What this coverage didn't tell you is that research and data shows a consistent decline in the number of drug-related deaths since the early 1990s when studies of this kind began. Drug overdoses and/or fatalities in Australia are at their lowest levels. Cigarettes and alcohol still cause 99 per cent of drug-related deaths. Nor are people informed, or aware, that today's drug users are, on average, more educated and responsible than their parents.

On balance, we're doing well controlling illicit drug usage. Fewer overdoses can only be good news. But who should be thanked? Drug control has never been high on the Federal Government's agenda, so it is misguided to attribute the progress of the past decade to it. Sure, it is busting its share of drug smugglers, thanks to tightened border control but, as the control board's report says, most of the drugs consumed here are made here.

The Government's other initiatives have been duds - print and TV advertising campaigns have been met with a mixture of amusement and disdain by a drug-using populace cynical of cliched scare tactics.

Yes, the drug-using public is safer and better educated than ever, and not because of the Government. Rather, it's a result of the rising trend of harm-minimisation as an alternative to zero tolerance.

This shift has been precipitated, in part, by the internet. Online forums such as bluelight.ru and pillreports.com allow anyone on the net to find out the exact contents of the pill they've just bought, or learn about the side effects of particular drugs. Tens of thousands access these sites daily.

Elsewhere, support groups for those trying to kick an illicit habit or recover from a bad experience are plentiful, non-judgemental and, most importantly, free.

These online communities and their offline counterparts operate on the assumption that drugs - from alcohol to opiates - will always be used and that education is the only way to reduce their harmful consequences.

It's a no-brainer: people want to know what they're putting into their bodies, and they don't want to be condemned. It's encouraging to note that, to date, almost all the harm minimisation and drug education has been implemented at the grassroots level: just imagine how many more lives could be saved if the Government got on board the harm minimisation train, too.

Of course, the Government would never condone harm minimisation. And perhaps unsurprisingly, when I asked the federal Health Minister, Tony Abbott, about online harm reduction communities late last year, he told me he'd never heard of them. "But any site encouraging drug use is encouraging its readers to dice with death," he told me. "It's incredibly irresponsible of them."

With a Government unwilling to engage in debate, the responsibility then falls to the media. Which, in light of this week's bumper crop of anti-drug stories, can be a depressing prospect.

By all means, keep us informed on new research, and don't stop showing us the human face of drug-use gone awry. But try to keep the hyperbole to a minimum. Things are getting better. And it's because those tempted to use drugs are able to make truly informed decisions.

Dan Stapleton is a freelance writer.

Dan Stapleton, you fucking legend. That was so refreshing to see an article from the other side of the fence for a change... I wonder what the zero-tollerance people thought of it...

Wow, thats kick arse =D
url]

Good to see an article providing the other side of the story. Hopefully readers will find a refreshing change in reading that we're not all stupid and actually are taking a safer approach to drug taking.

However:
Originally posted by Dan Stapleton

This shift has been precipitated, in part, by the internet. Online forums such as bluelight.ru and pillreports.com allow anyone on the net to find out the exact contents of the pill they've just bought, or learn about the side effects of particular drugs. Tens of thousands access these sites daily.Dan Stapleton is a freelance writer.

I think it is a bit naive to say that we can find out the "exact contents" of the pill purchased. Home testing kits are not exact, merely an indication of what it contains. Whilst in most cases they can tell us if they are safe to consume or not, they cannot tell us everything. Indicated by the batch of fake red mitusbishi's that were circulating late last year, whose contents did not show on a home testing kit.

But yes, top article. :)

Originally said by Tony Abbott
But any site encouraging drug use is encouraging its readers to dice with death. It's incredibly irresponsible of them.

Captain Subtext Translates: I've never heard of harm reduction communities, know about them, or can form a real opinion about them, but its wrong I tell you. WRONG!!!

Fuck you Tony Abbott.

Does anyone know of any harm reduction groups that actively encourage drug use?

Great article though. Its about time more people learnt about HR.

It would be nice if everyone read that article and then sat down and thought about it for a while wouldnt it...

Restores a little bit of jaded faith...

bravo

a great article, but only one that is drowned out by the fear based articles the media sterotypically writes.

thanks for all the feedback :)

it'll be interesting to see if any letters get published in the Herald tomorrow.

I think it is a bit naive to say that we can find out the "exact contents" of the pill purchased. Home testing kits are not exact, merely an indication of what it contains. Whilst in most cases they can tell us if they are safe to consume or not, they cannot tell us everything. Indicated by the batch of fake red mitusbishi's that were circulating late last year, whose contents did not show on a home testing kit.

you're right... i made a generalisation here... but for the 99% of Australians who don't even know home testing kits exist, it's an eye-opener.

Captain Subtext Translates: I've never heard of harm reduction communities, know about them, or can form a real opinion about them, but its wrong I tell you. WRONG!!!

Fuck you Tony Abbott.

haha :) he is such a fucking tool. i swear, even over the telephone he makes me wanna fucking puke. and you're right -- he has NO IDEA about harm reduction. he just thinks HE'S responsible for any drug-related improvements (i mean, weren't those anti-pot advertisments just fantastic ? heh.

Great article. If only there was more journalists out there reporting on the big issues that shared your balanced views :)

Its a shame that most of the media is targeted towards people who accept the sensationalism.

Good article! Nails the issue right on the head. Now if only more in the media were like you Dan Stapleton.

Thankfully I only vaguely remember the anti-marijuana radio ads. They sounded like that were on G, rather than marijuana. Jeez, I only wish I could talk that much when stoned.

it was the ones that accosted me at bus stops that i loved most. "i'd find you attractive... if only your eyes weren't so red"... i mean, who thought up that shit?!

refreshing and faith-restoring, its nice to be reminded that things are getting better, and that people out there are willing to take notice and express an accurate understanding of the reasons behind the shift. thumbs up.

on the subject of that laughable "Pot can do more than get you wasted" campaign; there was a funny comment on it that i read in a student magazine a while back under the topic "Worst ads in recent memory". it comments on three quotes appearing in three of the posters, the one with the old guy saying "I wouldnt be firing you if you bothered to turn up on time", the girl saying "you've got great eyes, when they're not bloodshot", and finally another one with a girl saying "I'd let you drive me home, if I thought we'd make it".

the advertisers said "These posters show thought-provoking images and messages about the ways that cannabis can impact on relationships...physical health, driving ability, workplace behaviour and finances."

hehe the author of the comment in the paper wrote: "Verdict: Thought may be provoked, but it leads rather quickly to the conclusion that a person armed with a travelten, alarm clock and some optical salve, can easily negotiate the rather flaccid obstacle course depicted in this campaign."

apologies for the digression, but yeah, the federal & state govts are often little more than a sanctioned joke.

sensational work dan!
i enjoyed that on so many levels.
as a responsible drug user and fellow freelance writer i couldn't have been better represented.

i must admit, i did cringe just a tad when you said pillreports contained "exact" content information of pills, but other than that miniscule issue the article was impeccable!

may i also ask, did you pitch this article to the SMH editors before writing it? any suggestions you could offer regarding getting published as a freelancer would be greatly appreciated.

rock on!

Indicated by the batch of fake red mitusbishi's that were circulating late last year, whose contents did not show on a home testing kit.

Sorry but I must Disagree. They were not Phony red mitsubishi's they were merely Highly mixed with Caffeine which can be ultimately lethal. It's actually Crazy how the cops tested pills left over from the *Dead Victims* if you would like to call it that, and all the pills that were LABARATORY Tested and All the contents were specifically Identified. So Yeah, it was the Caffeine and MDMA mix that was lethal. Not the *PMA* which was in them! :p hahahahaha!

Yes the Homes testing kits are not exactly great, but they at least tell you whats in your pills, it doesn't tell you How much of a dangerous substance or if the chemicals used in the pills are DIRTY... It just shows us what main contents are in the pill.

Finally an excellent aricle. It would be good to see this published Nationwide. Buuuuuuut. I doubt it, Unfortunately this is the point we, as citizens of the country ave to push. HARM MINIMISATION, and education towards drugs (all of them) rather than coming up with theories that they can stop the drug trade... and thus our lil kiddies can sleep at night, it's time for politicians to wake up to the fact that drugs are here to stay and will always be around, no matter what. This is why education is so important for harm minimisation and more websites like, Bluelight and Pillreports, a government funded site that Lab tests pills and shows EVERY SUBSTANCE contained within the pills, well that could be at least step 1.....

SpecTBK=D

I think you will find that the deaths were due to polydrug use.

"Cigarettes and alcohol still cause 99 per cent of drug-related deaths."

Im lovin it.

CAN I GET AN AMEN!

Finally! An article that doesnt condemn all drug users as uneducated social scum. Thank you dan stapleton!!!

Yer i'm just going to echo what everybody else has said, outstanding work. Its so good to see somebody in the media giving harm reduction a good wrap. well done.

Great Stuff.
I've always hated the fact that we recreational users are all viewed as 'scum addicts'. When infact we're everyone in the community, doctors, lawyers, students, teachers etc. I actually care about my body so i'm always sure to research what i'm putting into it.

fuck in heaven