Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News : Australian world champion boxer Shannon Taylor on life support after OD

poledriver

Bluelighter
World Boxing Federation middleweight champion Shannan Taylor is on life support after suffering what is believed to have been a drug overdose.

Doctors will monitor Taylor closely over the next 24 hours, but they hold serious concerns for his future.

The 39-year-old defeated Thailand’s Sintung Kietbusaba at The Snakepit in Wollongong in October to win the vacant WBF middleweight belt.

Known as the "Bulli Blaster", Taylor subsequently challenged Daniel Geale, Garth Wood and Anthony Mundine to fights. He has a 52-10 record with 37 knockouts.

Taylor famously fought "Sugar" Shane Mosely for the WBC welterweight title in 2001 at Caesars Palace, Las Vegas. Mosely won the bout by TKO in the sixth round.

Taylor also fought Anthony Mundine at the Wollongong Entertainment Centre in 2009, losing a scrappy bout in a unanimous points decision.

"It's not the Mundine circus," Taylor said at the time. "It's the Mundine show and I was glad to be part of it."​

here

Mods, feel free to close this if it's not of value or ok in anyway.

^ I got no problems with this staying up bro. Would be a much better article if it disclosed what drug he actually OD'd on.

Completely OT I am fairly surprised he took the boxing title off a Thai, Thai's are much more likely to compete in Thai boxing and as a general rule if theres a hole in their game its the hands... weird, middleweight seems a pretty high weightclass for a Thai born striker to dominate anyway. IMO its pretty bullshit to call any boxer a world champion while theres still multiple Federations, but it is definately sad he has overdosed and I wish him the best.

Seems Aussie boxers like to dabble in the illicits, I remember a few years ago when one of our Commonwealth games boxers got banned from participating for failing a drug test. Hopefully he pulls back from this and it doesn't cost him his title if/when he does. Got a pretty strong feeling that it might though...

^ Good, here is some more info.

Taylor was with two friends on Sunday when they bought what they believed was cocaine. In fact, it was heroin, and an ambulance was called when Taylor failed to wake.

Now he and another man are in hospital while the third man, who vomited, survived.

here

Fools.

All this could have been prevented had drugs been available and clean and came with advice from dispensary. Instead of the blackmarket..

Of course, drugs themselves will be the blame.

They both don't have that much taste I don't reckon, coke has that specific taste but it's fairly subtle, to me it's got that almost salty almost vegemite/vitamin b taste whilst I'd say heroin is slightly sweeter and more chemically but it's even more subtle, but I guess once they'd tasted it it'd be too late anyway.

But it seems really unlikely someone would sell them h if they were after coke, maybe they thought coke would be more acceptable than smack to say they were doing? Or it was a mix up from the dealer...? I dunno, something seems sus about it anyway.

They both don't have that much taste I don't reckon, coke has that specific taste but it's fairly subtle, to me it's got that almost salty almost vegemite/vitamin b taste whilst I'd say heroin is slightly sweeter and more chemically but it's even more subtle, but I guess once they'd tasted it it'd be too late anyway.

But it seems really unlikely someone would sell them h if they were after coke, maybe they thought coke would be more acceptable than smack to say they were doing? Or it was a mix up from the dealer...? I dunno, something seems sus about it anyway.

Imo, most likely suspect is either the dealer gave them the wrong product by accident, or they bought it off the street using generic slang and there was a communication mixup.

Tragic either way, I don't wanna get up on the soap box but it's yet another death that would have been avoided if he was being sold a legal product.

^ Good, here is some more info.

Taylor was with two friends on Sunday when they bought what they believed was cocaine. In fact, it was heroin, and an ambulance was called when Taylor failed to wake.

Now he and another man are in hospital while the third man, who vomited, survived.

here

he's known to have had a coke habit going back a while now so definitely plausible he got a mix up.

i used to look up to this guy when he was in his prime during my stint of training and fights in the ring throughout highschool.

i dunno how they got it mixed up. CocainE always has that typical smell. Also all heroin i have seen (have not seen heaps tho to be honest) has a powdery texture where as all coke i have seen and i have come across alot is very sparkly

^ Thats good news, hopefully he pulls through it.

I also struggle to think how an experienced drug user could of made the mistake but I suppose if they were anxious to crack into it they might not of given the gear much (or any) inspection before racking up some lines.

yeah i read they were all pretty intoxicated at the time i think.

Last edited:
^ Makes sense both in terms of why they'd of been in such a hurry to get it up their noses as well as increasing the dangers of taking heroin.

Boxer Shannan Taylor 'victim of underworld hit'

Boxer Shannan Taylor 'victim of underworld hit'

Police investigating boxer Taylor's overdose

POLICE are investigating whether Shannan Taylor was the mistaken victim of an attempted gangland hit.
Strike Force Calligan has widened its investigation to include the boxer's drug overdose on Sunday night which left him in an induced coma and on life support in Wollongong Hospital, The Daily Telegraph reported.

The stunning development has thrown new light on how Taylor almost overdosed after mistakenly consuming heroin he thought was cocaine.
Detectives are investigating if the drug substitution was a planned "hot-shot" to bring down another man as part of an ongoing drug war.
Several deaths have already been connected to the war.

Taylor remained on life support last night after doctors decided against earlier plans to revive him yesterday morning.
He has already had three heart machines removed but remains on a respirator.

The strike force was formed earlier this month following the disappearance of underworld figure Goran Nikolovski, whose car was found incinerated in bush at Macquarie Pass on November 4.
Nikolovski - still missing - is alleged to be an associate of the man who provided Taylor and his drinking party with the heroin they believed was cocaine on Sunday night.
The associate also snorted the drug and was rushed to hospital with Taylor, but was released on Tuesday.
His ill-fated hook-up with Taylor appears to have happened by accident.

Taylor was drinking with his promoter Rod Van Akker and another man on Sunday night and later returned to Van Akker's home.
At some point the associate of Nikolovski arrived at the house, left for a short while, and returned with another man and the drug they believed was cocaine.
As well as being an associate of Nikolovski, the man was also connected to another underworld figure, convicted drug dealer Saso Ristevski, who was executed in front of his family at his home on September 28.

Ristevski and Nikolovski both served jail time for a large cocaine haul.
Police who searched Van Akker's home on Monday took away a dinner plate they believe was used to cut up the powdered drug.

As well as the recent deaths, another close associate of Nikolovski also recently took himself to hospital with severe stomach complaints, another area of interest for police.
Adding weight to police suspicions the seller targeted the associate is the fact there have been no other hospital admissions from overdose victims affected by the same batch of drugs, indicating he was deliberately targeted.​

http://www.news.com.au/national/boxer-shannan-taylors-hot-shot-a-hit/story-e6frfkvr-1226210695925

Makes a lot more sense now, particularly as no one else in the public has been affected.

Boxer overdose: police deny underworld figure link

Boxer overdose: police deny underworld figure link

Police have denied reports that the apparent drug overdose of boxer Shannan Taylor was connected to the disappearance of underworld figure Goran Nikolovski.
Detective Inspector David Laidlaw from Strike Force Calligan said Taylor's overdose was not being investigated as a hit intended for an associate of Mr Nikolovski.
The strike force was created to investigate Mr Nikolovski's disappearance.

"The apparent drug overdose of a Wollongong man is not a line of inquiry being pursued by the detectives attached to Strike Force Calligan," Detective Inspector Laidlaw said.
A spokesman for Wollongong Hospital said this morning that Mr Taylor remained in a critical condition.

News Limited reported today that Mr Taylor mistakenly took heroin, thinking it was cocaine, and it was provided by an associate of Mr Nikolovski.
Mr Nikolovski went missing from his Unanderra home, in the Illawarra region, on October 31.

His car was found burnt out near Macquarie Pass the following day, and police are treating his disappearance as suspicious.
Police searched bushland at Macquarie Pass last Saturday with about 100 volunteers for clues related to Mr Nikolovski's disappearance.
Mr Nikolovski was an associate of the convicted drug dealer Saso Ristevski who was executed in front of his family on September 28.

Mr Nikolovski is described as Caucasian in appearance, with a solid build, about 175cm tall, with long brown hair usually tied in a ponytail.
He was last seen wearing a light blue T-shirt, black tracksuit pants and a black baseball cap. His Honda sedan had NSW registration BEA 23J.​

here

Some pretty interesting developments in this case, I don't really know what to think, I don't really understand why a syndicate that will execute a man in front of his family would take such a sly route to try put this guy down, especially if he was an experienced cocaine user who would have potential oppurtunity to identify the drug before it was consumed...

^^ I find it hard to believe it was a hit by way of 'hot shot' as I thought for the option to be almost guranteed then you would need to be certain that the user is using IV as snorting would be harder to kill you and they probably would live. Well I guess it was some real pure shit and he just snorted up a fatty lamb leg.

Also could easily see the drugs getting mixed up as I have had coke/smack mix up's once or twice...especially when the dealer is using lots of water ballons to hold both drugs and not colour coding them or using a good mehtod of knowing which ones are which.

^ I think when they give someone a hot shot they make sure its VERY pure gear, maybe if they had a habit you would wanna hope they slammed but somebody opiate naive its not hard to believe 70%+ pure heroin could kill them. I don't neccessarily buy this was an assasination attempt but this guy obviously holds somewhat of a celebrity status as an accomplished professional boxer, and if he likes his coke I can also see how this would be a relatively stress free way to try to get rid of him. Even if he lives through this his reputation is quite tarnished.

Yeah I don't buy the assassination attempt thing, seems like something the media would say without any evidence. Better ways to do it one would think.

In 'the wire' a heroin addict by the name of bubbles makes some 'hot shots' for someone that has been beating him up and stealing his money/drugs. He gets some sodium cyanide, puts it in a heroin bag so it looks like the real thing. Unfortunately some kid who bubbles lets stay with him finds it and assumes it's herion, shoots it up and dies :(