• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Advertiser - 01/02/07 'Drug prompts eating binge' (Stilnox)

Wow that is all insane news! I have been taking stilnox for sleep for months - not every night just when I feel my insomnia creeping up on me - and I have never suffered any adverse reactions. I never take more than 1 though and I don't mix them with booze. For me stilnox is a godsend, I get a good night sleep before uni or work and I don't get any groggy hangover like xanax and valium give me. Sleep walking/talking/eating I have never done - my gf can vouch for that

Maybe you do get adverse reactions, you just don't remeber them!!! :p I didn't until I was told about mine.

Crazy shit Stilnox.....You're right though, it is a godsend! Love the stuff.

yeah, i've been on this for nearly a year now (i know that's bad) but yeah - it's not sleep walking (however my girlfriend does start to do the weirdest shit when she's had some on a comedown) but more along the lines of purely forgetting what happened, this can all be avoided if you actually try and sleep and don't stay up while it starts to kick in

merck17 said:
I just posted a thread about this after someone called me seeing something about Stilnox being fatal on the CH 10 news tonight. These reactions are well documented and listed in our books such as MIMS, AMH etc.

The compound is contraindicated in people who suffer sleep apnoea.

The medication is very strong and works very fast. When I was at uni we had been told by lectures of people taking their stilnox, brushing their teeth and falling asleep in the basin!

I myself have sat bolt upright in bed while on it and spurted gibberish at my girlfriend for a while, the killer one was asking her "Have you pickled your pork yet?"

My father was prescribes stilnox for an o/seas flight. He did the same thing on this flight, but instead of spurting gibberish he had a full on seizure and had to be rushed to hospital when they landed. He was fine after a few days but I'm surprised he was prescribed stilnox since he suffers from really bad sleep apnoea, so bad that he has to use a machine to sleep properly. His Dr is usually pretty anally retentive about checking the contraindications of medecines she prescribes so I'm baffled how she could miss that one.

Sleeping pill safety under federal review

stilnoxvictims_wideweb__470x425,0.jpg

Bizarre behaviour ... Chantal Manning-Knight and Colin Massey.
Photo: Fiona-Lee Quimby

Heath Gilmore
March 11, 2007

A FEDERAL health watchdog will review the safety of the controversial sleeping pill Stilnox following the death of a Sydney man.

Adverse Drug Reactions Advisory Committee chairman Duncan Topliss said the dangers posed by the drug would be reviewed at its next meeting.

Last month the committee issued a bulletin alerting Australian doctors to the side effects of the drug, including reports of people driving while asleep.

On February 16, Sydney man Jonathon Mark, who had been prescribed Stilnox, fell to his death from the 12th floor of a North Sydney unit.

More than 40 readers came forward to complain about bizarre side effects from taking the drug after reading of Mr Mark's death last Sunday.

"We haven't made a recommendation to take the drug off the market," Associate Professor Topliss said. "Our initial assessment was that there was a small problem. However, there were concerns, which is why we put out the bulletin alert.

"All drugs have side effects . . . Clearly some drugs may be so dangerous to a small few that the downside outweighs the benefits to a larger number."

Colin Massey believes the drug should be banned. He and his wife, Chantal Manning-Knight, of Paddington, suffered serious side effects while taking prescribed Stilnox tablets on a flight from Hong Kong to Australia in January.

"We hadn't been drinking and just wanted to get to sleep," he said. "At an early stage of the flight we both started sleepwalking and, while in that subconscious state, we also inadvertently consumed more tablets.

"We became ill and vomited profusely on the plane in the aisle and on the wall due to an overdose. The flight attendants were very worried about our bizarre behaviour."

In defence of Stilnox, Horst Flugel, 76, of Chatswood, said the medication had given him relief from insomnia.
Stilnox

Recommended for short-term use to treat insomnia.

Manufacturer says adverse effects can include drowsiness, dizziness, headache, diarrhoea, nausea and muscle weakness.

It says less-common effects are changes in behaviour, agitation and hallucinations.

CASE 1

Gladesville woman Pamela (surname withheld at her request) recalls waking one morning last year after taking Stilnox. "There was a dinner plate on the bench, with the contents of a large packet of cornflakes, the whole box emptied onto the plate," she said. "By the looks of it, I had been eating them with a knife we use for cutting bread. Quite sharp, very scary."

CASE 2

A Hurstville Grove couple had taken one tablet each before bed. She hallucinated she was floating above the bed. "I started to projectile vomit, like that movie with Linda Blair," she said. "My husband is a tradie and got his tool belt on and egg flips and all sorts of kitchen appliances to help clean up. The next morning we thought it was a bad dream. It wasn't."

CASE 3

Neutral Bay man Evan Dillner was flying back from London four years ago. He took two tablets an hour out of Bangkok and on arrival in Sydney felt strange, like he was floating. Customs found the Stilnox in his bag. "[But] I just walked out. They didn't try to stop me. [My wife] said I got a taxi home and promptly went to bed. I had no idea how I got home."

Sunday Herald

Sleep pill linked to biker death
by Janelle Miles
March 19, 2007 02:00am

Stilnox linked to bizarre behaviour
Biker had used drug for three weeks
Second death associated with the drug

A QUEENSLAND man's death has been linked to a popular prescription sleeping pill being blamed for bizarre behaviours in some users worldwide, including sleep-driving.

The 37-year-old died last month after getting out of bed and going for a motorbike ride without a helmet, about an hour after taking the controversial drug Stilnox.

He was later found unconscious on a footpath with head injuries and died in hospital the next day.

A hospital pastoral care worker who comforted the man's wife reported the death to the Adverse Medicines Events Line.

Pharmacist Geraldine Moses, who has detailed a series of bizarre drug reactions related to Stilnox use, said the man had taken the drug at night for three weeks.

She said that during that time, on several occasions he had uncharacteristically done the dishes in the middle of the night but had no recollection in the morning.

The Queenslander's death was one of two reported in Australia last month associated with Stilnox use.

The other relates toJonathon Mark, also in his mid-30s, who fell from the balcony of his 12th-floor unit in north Sydney about four hours after he had taken Stilnox, known generically as zolpidem.

Police are investigating a link between Mr Mark's death and his use of the drug, the second most commonly prescribed sleeping tablet in Australia behind temazepam.

In a case series of 29 adverse reactions involving Stilnox compiled by Dr Moses, four involved suspected "sleep driving" in which a person crashed a car or motorbike.

She has also recorded cases of people binge eating, house painting, making phone calls and even having sex while on Stilnox yet they have no memory of their activities the next day.

"They go to sleep and they wake up a couple of hours later doing something bizarre in a semi-conscious state," Dr Moses said.

The US Food and Drug Administration has asked manufacturers to place strong new warnings on labels for zolpidem products after similar cases of sleep driving were reported there.

Australia's Drug Reactions Advisory Committee last month warned doctors about unusual side-effects involving people behaving strangely while asleep.

News.com.au

Stilnox callers jam hotline
Janelle Miles
March 27, 2007 12:00am

0,,5429408,00.jpg

FEARS ... the sleeping aid Stilnox.

CONCERNS are rising over the controversial sleeping drug Stilnox, with 300 callers swamping a consumer information line detailing dangerous side-effects, including sleep walking over high-rise balconies.

Sydney man Brett Crealy, 33, is lucky to have survived plunging from a 12-storey hotel balcony on Queensland's Hamilton Island in late February after taking the medication, frequently prescribed for insomnia.

And a Brisbane woman in her 40s had her leg amputated at Princess Alexandra Hospital in December after taking Stilnox for the first time.

"She was taken to hospital after being found in the bathroom unconscious a day after falling on her leg," said pharmacist Geraldine Moses, of Australia's Adverse Medicine Events Line.

"She'd cut off the circulation for so long it had gone gangrenous."

Dr Moses, a pharmacist for 20 years, said she had never been so inundated with calls detailing adverse reactions relating to a single drug.

"It's gone mad. It's unbelievable," she said. "There's four of us working on the calls flat-strap all day long. This is frightening."

John Newman, 48, who contacted Dr Moses yesterday, said he woke up in Royal Darwin Hospital with head injuries two months ago after taking the sleeping medication, drinking half a bottle of Scotch in his sleep and falling from his balcony.

He said doctors had failed to warn him about potential side-effects relating to the drug when he was prescribed the medication to help him sleep through the pain of an elbow injury.

"I have checked the various websites which quote the manufacturer as feeling a small rate of side-effects is okay," Mr Newman said.

"I rate smashing my head in, cracking ribs, mucking up a knee and breaking a foot as a little over the top."

Mr Newman said he decided to speak out about his experience with the drug, manufactured by French pharmaceutical company Sanofi Aventis, because "it's really bloody dangerous".

Despite the number of calls she has received about Stilnox, also known as Zolpidem, Dr Moses said she did not believe the drug should be taken off the market.

Instead, she suggested dosages should be halved from the standard 10mg to 5mg.

Those who have experienced side-effects while on Stilnox should phone the Adverse Medicine Events Line on 1300 134 237.

Courier Mail

What fkn stupid media beatup... ive been taking it every night for 6 months and not 1 single problem (except im addicted)
if stilnox gets banned and i cant sleep, then there will be fkn trouble

^:) Dam straight! Don't deprive an insomniac of their sleeping meds if you want to live!

I had one last night for the first time and the only strange thing that happened was I discovered some text messages on my phone that I had received and replied to while I was sleeping. I ALMOST made sense in my replies but not quite :)

What about research into seeing if mixing the drug (in a slow release formula) with some type of benzo or anti convulsant wpould stop these sleep walking episodes, and to see if it is safe ofcourse?

Stilnox Sleeping Pills Warning

On an A Current Affairs segment last night it was discussing the wierd side effects some users are experiencing on the sleeping pills Stilnox.

TGA to reassess Stilnox warnings

Official warnings about a brand of sleeping pill could be upgraded when health authorities meet next week.

The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has already issued a bulletin on Stilnox after it received reports of bizarre side effects from users.

They include driving and eating whilst asleep and memory blackouts.

Doctor Geraldine Moses from the Adverse Medicine Events Line says users should be specifically warned about the effect of mixing the drug with alcohol

"If they said if you take this with alcohol, there's the possibility you could drive in your sleep, you could sleep walk, you could do things you don't remember the next day, I think that would be a more adequate warning," she said.

Authorities in the United States have ordered the makers of similar brands of sleeping pills to issue strong warnings about side effects on the labels.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200703/s1873781.htm

Bizarre sleepwalking linked to sleeping pill
Friday Feb 2 04:00 AEDT
By ninemsn staff

A suspect sleeping pill is causing Australians to paint the front door, binge-eat, and drive while still asleep, a new study reveals.

The Federal Health Department has received 16 separate reports of odd "sleepwalking" behaviour caused by the drug Stilnox, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.

A woman taking the drug "woke with a paintbrush in her hand after painting the front door while asleep," the Adverse Drug Reactions Advisory Committee said in a bulletin published yesterday.

Another patient reportedly gained 23 kilograms over seven months while taking Stilnox.

"It was only when she was discovered eating in front of an open refrigerator while asleep that the problem was resolved," the bulletin said.

The committee also received two alarming reports "which suggest the possibility of driving while asleep."

The new study marks the first time "inappropriate or strange automatic behaviour" related to Stilnox has been noted in Australia since the drug was introduced here in 2000, although cases have been reported overseas.

The health department also received 104 reports of hallucinations and 62 of amnesia relating to the drug.

Alan Brindell, a spokesman for the manufacturer of Stilnox, Sanofi-Aventis, told the Herald it had not been proven that the drug was causing the disturbed sleep behaviour.

Brindell could not provide an estimate for the number of people in Australia using Stilnox, which is only available on prescription and attracts no subsidy.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=225025&rss=yes

There is probably other media reports floating around the web as well.

[EDIT: Removed code tags to make it easier to read. Lil Angel15]

Last edited by a moderator:
These things are easy to get with a bit of bullshitting. Saying you have insomnia but only want a drug to use when sleep is very neccessary.. ie. a impoirtant meeting, interview, big day that you know u wont be able to sleep for... only 7x 10mg tablets tho and non PBS.. bloody costy too, generics are half price tho. Im not going to try one tonight as i've had a heavy amount of alcohol and some xanax and valium before.. will save for another night.. will be my first time trying it. will try for sleep, and will try for recreation another time..

Splatt said:
These things are easy to get with a bit of bullshitting. Saying you have insomnia but only want a drug to use when sleep is very neccessary.. ie. a impoirtant meeting, interview, big day that you know u wont be able to sleep for... only 7x 10mg tablets tho and non PBS.. bloody costy too, generics are half price tho. Im not going to try one tonight as i've had a heavy amount of alcohol and some xanax and valium before.. will save for another night.. will be my first time trying it. will try for sleep, and will try for recreation another time..

I hope by first time trying you mean some other brand sleeping pill and not stilnox? I tried out restavit to assist with my crazy sleeping patterns, but found it didn't really do too much for me. Definately didn't seem to knock me out or anything.

They are Stilnox zolpidem tartrate 10mg Sanofi Synthelabo.. some french pharm company with asn australian outlet.

Legal action possible as complaints pour in
By Tamara McLean
April 03, 2007 02:00am

SLEEPING pill users appear set to mount legal action as more reports surface of bizarre and dangerous sleepwalking behaviour after taking the drug Stilnox.

Lawyers are trawling adverse event reports for "a number" of prospective clients affected by the prescription medication.

Stilnox complaints to the national drug hotline have risen to 500, with fresh reports of sleepwalkers crashing cars, falling off balconies, smoking, painting and having sex after popping a pill.

Slater and Gordon law firm partner Tim Hammond confirmed the firm had been approached by several people wanting to take action against pharmaceutical company Sanofi-Aventis.

"At this stage we're investigating these inquiries looking at what we can do," Mr Hammond said.

"Whilst the prospect of class-action proceedings is always considered in the back of our mind, at this stage the real focus is on investigating the individual claims."

He said the seriousness of injuries sustained would be an important factor in each case.

"Regrettably they would probably have to have injuries that are pretty severe and also long-lasting in order for a claim to be potentially considered viable," Mr Hammond said.

He said the situation had "broad parallels" with the firm's class action on behalf of patients on the discontinued anti-inflammatory drug Vioxx, found to cause heart problems.

Meanwhile, the Adverse Medical Events Line continues to receive up to 40 calls a day relating to Stilnox side-effects.

Senior pharmacist Geraldine Moses said most involved home sleepwalkers who had woken in the morning "with cuts and bruises and no idea what's happened".

But multiple cases involved serious injury - broken bones after falling from buildings, crashing cars and "self-harming" with knives.

A Brisbane man said he had taken one pill on a Monday morning and "woke up on Wednesday afternoon at the wheel of his car driving along the street, weaving between telephone poles without a clue how he got there".

He was injured and his box of 20 pills was empty.

Another man, a plumber, started work on the gas mains during the night, later lighting a match and "exploding the whole kitchen, and burning his arms".

More than 10 people reported taking one pill but swallowing several more once asleep.

A spokesman for Sanofi-Aventis declined to comment directly on the reports or any moves to mount legal action.

But he said the drug had well-documented side-effects and was effective when taken as directed.

Courier Mail

WTF All I get is warped dreams, and those awake dreams where you'rte half conscious but you think your mum, your uncle, your mates are all talking to you in your bedroom in some werid code. i wanna be able to sleep ride!
Use the receommended dose then Hide the packetr somewhere that would make noise and wake someone up to stop you from eatuing more if they're sleep-pill-popping

Just got a script of stilnox from my doctor due to my insomnia returning. I have used it for a while now when my insomina returns. never used it recreationally - might do so this time. My only complaint about it is the price, Removed price for a pack of 20! Other than that I have never had any side-effects and always feel good when I wake up, rarely ever groggy.

Edit, please don't mention prices. lil

Last edited by a moderator:
Use the french generic.. all chemists should have it.. it is half the price. Works the same.