• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS - ABC 4 Corners 7/03/05 - "Messing with Heads"

well allow me to retort brett ....:) - sick again and watching too much pulp fiction

Actually no it wasnt. Read the synopsis on their website. The target group was adolesents, areas such as genetic background were factored in for qualification, extremity and frequency of use, variations in concentrations and the bioavailability of the drug, all which are extrapolated to the sociological settings of today.

I read the synopsis and didn't see anything that suggested the target group was a proper statistical study. I've been lead to believe that 5% of the target population/data is usually a safe amount to gather conclusions from. At least from a commerical perspective.

No information on these kids drug use was discussed it except for pot. Teenagers are notorious poly-drug uses. It would be amiss to ignore such factors. It didn't discuss their social economic background. it didn't indicate whether they had learning difficulties and so on.

the report mentioned preconditions which can trigger the onset of psychosis, such as pre-natal stress, genetic history etc. The brainscans were only to show that the resemblence between someone who has developed drug induced psychosis, and a person who has actual schizophrenia.

That is the problem 4-Corners made it out to be exactly that when its not.

This "scientitific evidence hasn't been published. It showed one example. The scientist himself couldn't give even a definite answer and qualified his statement by stating it was a gut feeling.

If the scientist wasn't ready to have his evidence reviewed by his peers it either means it wouldn't hold up to critical review or he had insufficent evidence to justify his conclusion.

If he wasn't prepared then it meant the evidence was inconclusive. It was wrong of the 4-Corners to inconclusive material. This an important point because the general public, including the types that would watch 4-Corners would be heavily swayed by such evidence.

It doesnt take a psychoanalysis to see that pot and psychosis go hand in hand.

Well hundreds of thousands of teenagers in highly stressful enviroments with many of the preconditions aren't being checked into hospitals. If this was true then we would truly be living in a land of very crazy people.

But we ain't.

I believe the evidence exists in the fact that we can pinpoint the target group for the onset of psychosis, that most cases of psychosis occur in this bracket suggests that anyone engaging in the activity is running at risk of devloping a drug induced psychosis. If this was not the case you would see mental wards admitting patients from other demographics.

i know a few people like those shown in the report. In every single case these people came from fucked up home situations. Seriously every single on of the druggies at my school had fucked up home lifes. I did, my gf, my friends, my friends friends. I think the pattern here is not the drug it is the emotional damage caused during the upbring of these kids. Pot might exacerbate it but it isn't the primary cause of the psychosis.

To that end I've seen non-druggies flip out just as badly as the druggies.

If you had a perfect baby, raised with no emotional issues, had a relaxed and wonderful life. THe likelyhood of it having a psychosis even if it smoked pot during its teenage life would be extremely unlikely. The critical factor is if you introduce stress and raise that child without the necceassy skills then your going to get a kid that will flip out when they hit school stress, puberty, family break ups, socio-economic factors, learning difficulties all at the same time.

Well it's not like they suggested there's an epidemic or anything.

they implied there was an epidemic. They even quoted the amount of patients the clinic had in VIC re counselling pot smokers (i believe it was 2000. A irrelevant figure since again it implied that all 2000 were teenagers, didn't indicate how they got their cliental (did the courts refer them?).

making the logical connections between all these elements suggests that the issue deserves attention. At the very least (and from another report on catylist I saw) evidence suggests that people in the target group should refrain from using cannabis (regularly if at all) until we know more about the condition. And if there are sociological elements which are encouraging use and abuse in this area then they should similarly be addressed.

No argument there but that wasn't what 4-corners was saying. It wasn't their core message. They might give it window dressing implying some of those things but that wasn't the overall picture it gave.

I don't want to go into child-parent relations but its clear to me that parents lost touch with their kids along time ago when they're failed idealogues and contradictions caused their children so much pain they weren't (because they never had the skills in the first place) able rationalize and resolve the problem & contradictions. The consequences of such failures are depression, addictions, and denial (probably in that order).

"Won't someone think of the children"

Crazeee over in "drugs in the media" wrote a very persuve article about this very matter.

Did this story provide conclusive evidence? No it didn't. Will this story stop kids from smoking pot. Nup. Will parents tell their kids there going to go crazy if they smoke pot. yep. Are the kids going to listen. Nup.

I am sure the producer realised this thus i believe the story served another purpose.

I used to love my fathers stories about the innoxious use of simple stories to serve a greater political purpose. Use an in-arguable moral position and reinforce it with conjecture and experts (who wouldn't take the same material to a peer review) and bam you've got a story. You should watch frontline more often.

Whats the purpose. Perhaps its something to do with the continued stacking of conseratives on the ABC board. Looks like ABC is going through massive changes at the moment and I sure 4-Corners, the last bastion of intelligent rationalism is not protected from such changes. Hell its probably high on the governments hit list. perhaps it already be slowely turned....

Their stories are going to reflect the hidden changes this preasures cause them. Sadly this means the 4-corners are going to start showing stories that reflect that failed idealogues of the conserative parties.