Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: 11/09/09 - Ban to fight backyard drug labs

marley

Bluelighter
Ban to fight backyard drug labs

r414088_1960537.jpg

A ban has been imposed on 60 chemicals which can be used to make illegal drugs such as ice and ecstasy.

South Australian Attorney-General Michael Atkinson says the Government has taken advice from the Plastics and Chemical Industry Association so the ban will not affect businesses which use the chemicals legally.

"Legitimate users can have a lawful excuse for possession of these precursor chemicals but if there is no lawful excuse then the possessors of these 60 chemicals are facing three years in prison and a very substantial fine," he said.

Mr Atkinson hopes jail terms or fines of up to $15,000 will help reduce the prevalence of backyard drug laboratories.

"What we have is a very cheap chemical capable of being cooked in Adelaide homes and what we need to do to attack the amphetamine trade is to attack the trade in precursor chemicals and that's what we're doing," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/09/11/2682892.htm

Hardly, it's the same crap they always trot out about 'cracking down on drugs.' It's a load of meaningless bravado to make it look like the government are making a difference.

Where there's a will, there's a way, and where there's demand the market will always find a way to supply it. If people can't obtain precursors locally they're not just going to get all 'durr uh I think I'll quit drugs and get a job at the local KMart.' They'll divert their efforts to importing the precursors, or just flat out import the drugs.

Look at America, they've been 'cracking down' on meth for years, they banned the precursors, so people started importing them, they cracked down on that, so drug cartels stepped in and just started cooking it in Mexico and sending it north along with the coke and heroin and weed and illegal immigrants.

Where there's a will, there's a way, and where there's demand the market will always find a way to supply it.
Prohibition started decades ago, and look where it is now. Drugs saturate most scenes and I can honestly never see this changing minutely.

What are the chemicals?

The battle between the government banning precursors the people trying to use them has been going on since the dawn of the clandestine chem business - And it never changed. Something gets banned, or gets taken off the shelves, and things pause for a little while then everyone puts their heads together and someone either finds a) something elsethey can use that isn't banned, or b) a way to produce the banned precursor from things that aren't.

The government can't ban everything - There are so many alternate routes to MDMA using over the counter compounds, the only thing holding back a flood of raw uncut molly made out of sesame seeds and pepper is the profitability of it all - They're not all viable on macroscale, for commercial sale.

This won't change anything.

chemical ecstasy components banned in sa

Regardez

Chemical ecstasy components banned in SA
September 11, 2009 - 12:49PM

More than 60 chemicals that can be used as ingredients for making illegal drugs including ice and ecstasy have been banned in South Australia.

Attorney-General Michael Atkinson said on Friday the new regulation would make it harder than ever to manufacture harmful street drugs.

"This ban is aimed at taking the ground from under the illicit drug manufacturers," he said.

"We are taking the core ingredients for illegal street drugs out of the hands of those who concoct their deadly cocktails."

Under the new laws, a person found in possession of one or more of the listed precursor chemicals without a reasonable excuse could face up to three years in jail and a $15,000 fine.

Mr Atkinson said businesses that supply or have a legitimate reason to use the chemicals would not be affected by the laws.

"It is those who do not have a reasonable excuse for possessing the listed chemicals who will face serious penalties," he said.

© 2009 AAP

The Age

[EDIT: Please paste the whole article in. hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator:
After some searching, I believe I have found the list (from "South Australia Controlled Substances (General) Regulations 2000"). The numbers next to each are how much of the substance is required to be considered for large commercial production, then [regular] commercial production. However, it also says (see the article in my next post) that being caught with any amount of a precursor could result in 3 years in prison and/or a $15,000 fine.

Schedule 2—Controlled precursors

Acetaldehyde 2 kg 0.5 kg
Acetic anhydride 4 L 1 L
N-Acetylanthranilic acid 20 kg 5 kg
Allylbenzene 1 L 0.25 L
Allylpyrocatechol 0.4 L 0.1 L
Alpha-phenylacetoacetonitrile 2 kg 0.5 kg
4-Aminobutanoic acid 6 kg 1.5 kg
Ammonia 6 kg 1.5 kg
Ammonium formate 2 kg 0.5 kg
Anethole 0.4L 0.1L
Anthranilic acid 20 kg 5 kg
Benzaldehyde 2 L 0.5 L
1,3-Benzodioxole 1 L 0.25 L
Benzyl bromide 2 L 0.5 L
Benzyl chloride 2 L 0.5 L
Boron tribromide 1 L 0.25 L
Bromobenzene 2 L 0.5 L
5-Bromo-1,3-benzodioxole 1 L 0.25 L
Bromosafrole 0.2 L 0.05 L
1,4-Butanediol 6 L 1.5 L
Calcium 1 kg 0.25 kg
1-Chlorophenyl-2-aminopropane 1 kg 0.25 kg
Chromic acid 0.4 L 0.1 L
Chromium trioxide 0.4 kg 0.1 kg
Ephedrine 1 kg 0.25 kg
Ergometrine 0.0002 kg 0.00005 kg
Ergotamine 0.02 kg 0.005 kg
Ethanamine 2 L 0.5 L
Ethyl phenyl acetate 2 kg 0.5 kg
N-Ethylephedrine 1 kg 0.25 kg
N-Ethylpseudoephedrine 1 kg 0.25 kg
Eugenol 0.4 L 0.1 L
Formaldehyde 6 kg 1.5 kg
Formamide 2 L 0.5 L
Hydriodic acid 4 L 1 L
Hydrobromic acid 1 L 0.25 L
Hydrogen 6 kg 1.5 kg
Hydrogen chloride 6 kg 1.5 kg
Hydrogen sulfide 6 kg 1.5 kg
4-Hydroxybutanal 6 L 1.5 L
4-Hydroxybutanoic acid lactone 6 L 1.5 L
4-Hydroxybutanoic acid nitrile 6 L 1.5 L
4-Hydroxypentanoic acid 6 L 1.5 L
2-Hydroxytetrahydrofuran 6 L 1.5 L
Hypophosphite salts 1 kg 0.25 kg
Hypophosphorous acid 1 L 0.25 L
Iodine 1 kg 0.25 kg
Isosafrole 0.4 L 0.1 L
Lithium 1 kg 0.25 kg
Lithium aluminium hydride 0.2 kg 0.05 kg
Lysergic acid 0.0002 kg 0.00005 kg
Magnesium 1 kg 0.25 kg
Mandellic acid 2 kg 0.5 kg
Mercuric chloride 0.004 kg 0.001 kg
Mercury 0.004 kg 0.001 kg
Methcathinone 1 kg 0.25kg
Methylamine 2 L 0.5 L
Methylammonium salts 1 kg 0.25 kg
3,4-Methylenedioxyphenylacetic acid 0.4 kg 0.1 kg
3,4-Methylenedioxyphenylpropan-2-one (PMK) 1L 0.25L
N-Methylformamide 2 L 0.5 L
N-Methylephedrine 1 kg 0.25 kg
Methyl phenylacetate 2 kg 0.5 kg
N-Methylpseudoephedrine 1 kg 0.25 kg
Trans β-Methylstyrene 2 L 0.5 L
Nitroethane 2 L 0.5 L
Nitromethane 2 L 0.5 L
Norpseudoephedrine 1 kg 0.25 kg
Palladium 0.02 kg 0.005 kg
Phenylacetamide 2 kg 0.5 kg
Phenylacetic acid 2 kg 0.5 kg
Phenylacetonitrile 2 L 0.5 L
Phenylacetyl chloride 2 L 0.5 L
Phenylalanine 2 kg 0.5 kg
1-Phenyl-2-bromopropane 2 kg 0.5 kg
1-Phenyl-2-chloropropane 2 kg 0.5 kg
1-Phenyl-2-iodopropane 2 kg 0.5 kg
1-Phenyl-2-nitropropene 1 kg 0.25 kg
Phenylpropanolamine 2 kg 0.5 kg
1-Phenyl-2-propanol 1 L 0.25 L
1-Phenyl-1-Propanone 1 L 0.25 L
1-Phenyl-2-propanone (BMK) 1 L 0.25 L
1-Phenyl-2-propanone oxime 1 kg 0.25 kg
Phosphorus 0.4 kg 0.1 kg
Phosphorous acid 1 L 0.25 L
Piperidine 0.2 kg 0.05 kg
Piperonal 0.4 kg 0.1kg
Platinum 0.02 kg 0.005 kg
Potassium 1 kg 0.25 kg
Propionic anhydride 0.2 L 0.05 L
Pseudoephedrine 1 kg 0.25 kg
Pyridine 4 L 1 L
2-Pyrrolidone 6 L 1.5 L
Raney nickel 0.2 kg 0.05 kg
Safrole 0.4 L 0.1 L
Sassafras oil 0.4 L 0.1 L
Sodium 1 kg 0.25 kg
Sodium bis(2-methoxyethoxy) aluminium hydride 0.2 kg 0.05 kg
Sodium borohydride 0.2 kg 0.05 kg
Sodium cyanoborohydride 0.2 kg 0.05 kg
Thionyl chloride 1 kg 0.25 kg
Thorium 4 kg 1 kg

Here's the source. It starts at the bottom of page 19.

Last edited:
More hurdles for drug makers
September 11, 2009

The State Government is taking further action to cripple the illegal drug-trade by banning more than 60 chemicals from the shelves of illicit drug-laboratories.

The Governor in Executive Council yesterday signed the regulatory changes to the Controlled Substances (Controlled Drugs, Precursors and Cannabis) Amendment Act 2008.

Attorney-General Michael Atkinson says the new laws mean manufacturing harmful street-drugs such as ice and ecstasy will be harder than ever.

“This ban is aimed at taking the ground from under the illicit drug manufacturers. We are taking the core ingredients for illegal street drugs out of the hands of those who concoct their deadly cocktails,” Mr Atkinson says.

“Many businesses have a legitimate and lawful reason to use the chemicals listed in the legislation. Too often though, these chemicals fall into the wrong hands.

“Under the new laws, if a person possesses one of more than 60 listed “precursor” or ingredient chemicals, they must have a reasonable excuse for doing so.

"Those without a lawful reason could face a maximum penalty of three years in prison and fined $15,000.”

Mr Atkinson says the move further highlights how the Rann Government’s stand against illicit drugs is vastly different from that of Opposition Leader Isobel Redmond.

On 10 December 2006 said in a TV interview: “I mean certainly the information is that ecstasy doesn’t seem to be as big a risk as a number of other drugs.”

“In December 2006 Mrs Redmond went to a rave party in Adelaide with then Democrat MP Sandra Kanck before downplaying the risks of taking ecstasy on television,” Mr Atkinson says.

“Ecstasy, like almost all illicit drugs, is a lethal substance that ruins lives and tears families apart."

“That is why, despite what Mrs Redmond thinks, the Rann Government will continue to do all it can to prevent illicit drugs from getting into the hands of our children. This includes hitting illicit drug manufacturers on all fronts.”

The new regulations are another significant step in the Government’s attack on the illegal drug trade.

These steps have included;

Banning the equipment used in the manufacture of illicit drugs;
Trebling the expiation penalties for possession of cannabis;
Banning the sale of drug paraphernalia;
Introducing the Hydroponics Industry Control bill to crackdown on the cultivation of hydroponically-grown cannabis

The Attorney-General says businesses that supply and use chemicals listed under the proposed legislation would not be affected.

“The vast majority of businesses that supply these chemicals are responsible and have adhered to the Plastics and Chemicals Industries Association Code of Practice since 1994.

“It is those who do not have a reasonable excuse for possessing the listed chemicals who will face serious penalties.”

That's from the website of the ministers of South Australia

It's shameful to see what Michael Atkinson is doing to our state. Harm Minimisation is being completely ignored.

This article also mentioned:
The Governor in Executive Council yesterday signed the regulatory changes to the Controlled Substances (Controlled Drugs, Precursors and Cannabis) Amendment Act 2008.

Now, that can be viewed here

In that, it doesn't mention what precursors were added, nor the ones already banned. However, regarding simply being in possession of a precursor (presumably at any amount), it says the following:

17A—Manufacture, sale, supply or possession of certain
precursors
(1) A person must not, unless he or she holds a permit from the Minister
to do so, manufacture, sell or supply a poison to which this section
applies (a section 17A precursor).

Maximum penalty: $15 000 or imprisonment for 3 years, or both.

(2) A person must not, unless he or she holds a permit from the Minister
to do so, be in possession of a section 17A precursor.

Maximum penalty: $10 000 or imprisonment for 2 years, or both.

(3) A person must not sell a section 17A precursor unless the purchaser
produces the permit under which the person is entitled to be in
possession of the section 17A precursor.

Maximum penalty: $10 000 or imprisonment for 2 years, or both.

Last edited:
I have to say that the South Australian government seems to be the most conservative government I have ever come across in my life!!!

All the laws I read or hear coming out of that state over the last few years all seem to be based on the fact that they must be run by uneducated mindless self righteous bigots!!!!!

Such news deeply sadens me. Oh how I wish of a drug-tolerant society where people do their research and give their opinions free of moral judgements and misinformation.

I think I'll be wishing for a long time.

It's worth mentioning that my interpretation of these bills and regulations might be misleading. In truth, as someone with little knowledge of the legal system, I had difficulty understanding just what exactly the law was. The text seemed to jump back and forth between points, with latter sections referring to earlier ones, and so on. It was also difficult for me to determine whether I was viewing the newest version of the document (i.e. the one modified on the 10th of sept09) or the ones from previous years. For the "Controlled Substances Amendment Bill" in particular, it seemed as though it is the original 08 version and not the changed one.

After having read through the text thoroughly, one rather concerning point I noticed several times was that it implied people caught with precursors and/or equipment for manufacture would be considered guilty of drug manufacture until proven otherwise. It also noted that there are many legitimate uses for the items in question. As such, they know full well that such a law will brand innocent people as guilty, but seemingly ignored it.

On a side note, if anyone is interested in what is considered "equipment" for manufacture, that is also listed in the link from my first post.

On reading further into the matter, I found some articles from late 08 when the original laws were introduced. I'm not sure if these were already covered here on Bluelight (I was somewhat absent at the time) but I noticed some extremely concerning news that I thought should be brought forth.

The Attorney-General Michael Atkinson has warned those involved in making illicit drugs that from
today they can be jailed if they’re caught with any of 30 listed drug-making items.

Hydroponic cannabis equipment, such as:
• some high-intensity lamps, lamp mounts and reflectors used to heat and grow seedlings
• carbon filters used to block the powerful smell of cannabis and evade detection by police
• cannabis bud or head strippers.

Clandestine laboratory equipment, such as:
• some condensers, evaporators, heating tools, stirrers and distilling devices used for cooking
illegal drugs
• some funnels, flasks and filters
• tablet and capsule presses
• heroin presses

Drug-making recipes and cannabis growing instructions are also prescribed items.

The laws will also cover prescribed equipment that has been modified or is broken. Offenders face
jail time of up to two years or a $10, 000 fine.

source

The part in bold being of most concern. I used to visit overgrow when it existed, along with rhodium, and might have traces of those sites still somewhere on my computer. Now it seems that simply being caught with that data could land someone in prison.

Last edited:
It's of great concern and just another example of the ever increasing repressive government of which we live under. Not only is there the chance that somewhere in the bowels of your computer there will be something that is 'prescribed' but how many of us own copies of PiHKAL and TiHKAL with no intention of manufacturing illicit materials. :\