• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: '1 in 10' Australians have tried methamphetamine

Wow - the media really loves this ice story!

As previously mentioned, if you read the report (even just the last two pages, they are the recommendations) - there is hardly anything new in there. And it's not really very sensationalist as a document (well done ANCD). Something happened when it got transferred to the media... hmmm!

"It takes 10 days to get out of your system so if you are using it every week it is never out of your body and it is wearing you down.''

O'RLY?

ohmigod journalistic skillz! Iv'e cancelled my subscriptions to the mainstream daily 'newspapers'. Its made my life less stressful.

Well I agree to some extent. It may not be in your body but I don't feel 100% until about 5 days after having it. I can fucntion on the 2nd comedown day, but i lack brain chemicals.. They come back slowly, but by the time they're mostly all back, you have the urge to do it again.

I never understood how people can do large amounts daily though. Normally these people cannot be trusted either and are pretty low in the social barrell.

Splatt said:
I never understood how people can do large amounts daily though. Normally these people cannot be trusted either and are pretty low in the social barrell.

Yeah...even worse when your dealer is a daily user and has to cut the gear he sells to make ends meet...cos the fucker keeps using too much of his own for-sale stash!

I use on weekends only. Most weekends. I am on a 4 week break...just being on this site atm makes it hard. Already I am thinking about making a phone call for after work pick up.

I might not be addicted...but fuck me...there's never been much I crave as much as meth sometimes. I have found I can't even have 2 beers mid week without my resolve crumbling. The trick for me is to make sure I have had too much to drive(even just 4-5 beers). I don't drink drive so it forces me to be stuck at home. By the time I am sober enough to drive (an hour or two) I am already getting my resolve back and decide against it.

There are a few things I won't do: I won't use mid week. I won't suck dick to get free gear, I won't sell or hock anything to buy gear.

If I cross any of those lines I'd consider myself a crack whore equivalent and would have to re-evaluate my rec use.

Coalition at odds over 'ice' problem
Annabel Stafford, Canberra
February 8, 2007

GOVERNMENT backbenchers have crossed swords over how to deal with growing problems associated with the drug ice after its expert advisers urged an approach of minimising harm to users.

In a closed Coalition meeting this week, Nationals Whip Kay Hull attacked a report released by the Australian National Council on Drugs, which called for harm minimisation measures such as guidelines on how to treat mental illnesses associated with drug use and education for users on avoiding sexually transmitted diseases. Ms Hull was backed by Liberal MP Alby Schultz who — The Age believes — lashed out at safe injecting rooms.

"I'm sick to death of this term 'harm minimisation'," Ms Hull told The Age.

"It just does not reflect our tough-on-drugs strategy at all and the harm-minimisation approach just encourages the maintenance of a drug habit. It gives people the view that it's OK to go on taking drugs."

When she was chairwoman of a parliamentary inquiry into substance abuse, which released the Road to Recovery report in 2003, ice was just becoming a problem, Ms Hull said.

"Now we have a significant proportion of users that are addicted. It's being made cheaply and nastily and we are still into harm minimisation rather than prevention," she said.

"The community as a whole is not interested in harm minimisation. They are more inclined to harm prevention eventually leading to abstinence."

Ms Hull, who "absolutely opposes safe injecting rooms" for drug users, was unapologetic about being "a tough-on-drugs person".

"Abstinence is not a four-letter word," she said. "I should be able to talk about abstinence as though it were possible and I shouldn't come under attack from those supportive of heroin-injecting rooms."

But Liberal MP Mal Washer — who is also a doctor — said arguments against harm minimisation were "total rubbish".

"Harm minimisation is an essential component of management of drugs in this country … Abstinence doesn't always work, so we have to engage people if they do start on drugs and try to get them off. In the meantime, we have to minimise the harm they do to themselves and other people."

Dr Washer went even further, saying that all states should be introducing harm-minimisation policies into their prisons, where the incidence of hepatitis C and B and HIV are growing.

While it was nice to talk as if there were no drug problems, that wasn't the reality , he said.

Drugs Council chairman John Herron, a former minister in the Howard Government, said that while "we're all tough on drugs and we would like to have no illicit drugs … we believe in treating people rather than punishing them".

The Age