• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

New Zealand Anti-Drug-Driving Ad Goes Viral

Yes, that is how a lot of us talk...what you're hearing spoken in the ad is unofficially known as 'Hori', a pseudo-dialect (I guess?) that is basically English with a few tweaks taken from Maori and other Polynesian languages. More or less everyone in Northland, for example, talks like that.

Without stereotyping TOO much, if you are involved in the drug culture here in New Zealand you WILL be able to 'speak' Hori. I'm very white (dual EU/NZ citizen) but, yeah, I can and do speak exactly like that quite it a bit. It depends who you're talking to. A lot of people speak like that full time, it's no big deal.

Fucking hilarious. My dad invented blazing. Great acting by the kids and easily the best PSA i've ever seen.

Yes, that is how a lot of us talk...what you're hearing spoken in the ad is unofficially known as 'Hori', a pseudo-dialect (I guess?) that is basically English with a few tweaks taken from Maori and other Polynesian languages. More or less everyone in Northland, for example, talks like that.

Without stereotyping TOO much, if you are involved in the drug culture here in New Zealand you WILL be able to 'speak' Hori. I'm very white (dual EU/NZ citizen) but, yeah, I can and do speak exactly like that quite it a bit. It depends who you're talking to. A lot of people speak like that full time, it's no big deal.

Lol so fucking true. I bet is dad is able to play a mean guitar even with only 5 strings

^ really I couldn't disagree more, I don't know where you live but I think saying "that is how a lot of us talk" is an overstatement.
Maybe people involved in the weed drug culture in rural and lower socio-economic groups communicate in this "Hori" fashion of which you speak, but there's plenty of Kiwi's including those who use drugs of all types who wouldn't be caught dead talking like this.
Drugs are expensive, Kiwi's also have some the world's highest rates of drug use, hence there would be a correlation between say; being able to regularly afford and use cocaina and the correct usage of vocabulary, syntax and punctuation.

Depending on to whom one speaks, why should one feel the need to put on the affectations of an impoverished Maori youth? Sir, I query your claim and insist upon its verisimilitudinous nature.

To clear up the etymology, the old Zeeland which gives NZ it's name is technically in the Netherlands and old Zealanders would speak dutch as in Bingeboy's quote, however 23536 is also kinda correct in quoting Danish as the English translation of Sjælland (Copenhagen's island) is Zealand.
TBH it's an insult to these fine social democracies that they have lent their name to the sad backwards shithole laissez-faire play thing of the wealthy that NZ has become.
I'm sure once they scrap ACC and universal health care they won't give two shits about people driving stoned and it's impact on their bottom line.

Here is another kiwi add on driving while high, also very good and humorous.