• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

New Hope in Depression Relief

EloiseFL

Greenlighter
I normally don't publicly endorse anything, but as a psychology junkie and from my personal experiences, it would be selfish of me to not attempt to share this with as many people as I can.

(There is a lot here, so please bear with me.)

Since about the age of 10, I have dealt with major depression and anxiety disorders. I went back and forth, changing therapists as I aged with no avail and was prompted a few years ago to seek help from a psychiatrist.

Again, I went from doctor to doctor, trying dozens of medications. Although taking this step could potentially result in being a huge help, there is no "one size fits all" form of psychological drug. Because there hasn't been a viable way to determine the exact cause, there are a ridiculous amount of medications available that can do a lot to you, ranging from having absolutely no effect, to giving adverse and worsening effects. These medications take at least 4-8 weeks to begin working at the minimum dosage and are often increased after some time in attempt to help the problem. Now, if you are dealing with depression, the idea of waiting months with no promise of relief can seem daunting. After trying one after the other, waiting months in between, and going through the withdrawal symptoms that accompany them when you are trying to switch these medications, your mental health can be compromised more and more. With my experiences, some showed no effect at all, while others made me vomit every day, made my existing chronic migraines unbearable, made my symptoms worsen, or made me feel as though my brain was shut off. I decided to stop taking these because I felt that what I was losing did not make up for the potential benefits.

Recently, I visited a new psychiatrist who introduced me to something that blew my mind; a test that uses 10 critical genes to determine how your body metabolizes different antidepressants and how they will react to your brain. Your DNA is taken from a swab on the inside of your cheek and within weeks, your doctor will receive information on how these genes work according specifically to your DNA, allowing them to have a higher insight on which medications will have the best ability to help you.

Dealing with psychological disorders is a stressful and draining battle, whether it is you or someone you love. Unlike diabetes, cancer, certain deficiencies that cause physical problems, etc. that can be identified through blood or urine tests, it has been almost impossible to detect and determine the causes of disorders that stem from the brain. This makes it difficult for sufferers, not only from the negative stigma that some disorders come with, but makes the challenge exceptionally harder when you finally give into a medical approach, only to result in the draining trial and error process. This test has the ability to do so much in the world of psychology, finally giving sufferers of depression a promise that relief may be closer than they once imagined. Currently, it is only available with certain offices and (I was told) is administered for those who have a history and who have tried different approaches for treatment.

The existence of this test amazes me because it has the ability to save lives. No longer will sufferers have to go trial and error with medications, only to find the process grueling, expensive, and causing more problems. This test gives so much information and can ultimately lead those to relief in the easiest way possible.

I received my results today and am amazed at what this testing was able to tell. For example, one thing that I learned was that the reason the medications I have previously tried did not work is because of a mutation in MTHFR (methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase), causing the conversion of amino and folic acids into serotonin to be hindered. This makes my serotonin production very limited, resulting in medications, like SSRI’s, to be inefficient since they have nothing to work with. I have also been diagnosed with adult onset ADHD. I started taking Adderall, which definitely gave me an "lift" in my mood. This was very temporary and I had to increase my dosage multiple times. Through this test, I also found that the CYP3A4 enzymes in my liver were overactive, causing a certain type of medication (Adderall, Vyvanse, etc.) to be metabolized too quickly, resulting in a potential heightening of side effects and making doses that should have worked for 9+ hours to only work for 2.

I believe there are a few different tests out there like this, but they are so new that you'll need to find where you can receive it. Ask your general practitioner, psychiatrist, or check the website/contact one of the few developers.
My results were determined by the Genecept Assay from Genomind. Here's a link to the page on their site that explains the test.

http://genomind.com/the-science-behind-the-test/

I urge anyone who reads this to share this information with anyone who they think can benefit from this.
Honestly, I cried tears of happiness when I was told about this test...and again when my doctor discussed the results with me.

basic drug discussion -> neuroscience & pharmacology discussion

If this is legitimate I'm happy to hear you found something that works, but this looks some grade A shill copypasta.

Our knowledge of genes and antidepressant response is pretty limited with regards to picking the right antidepressant too IIRC. Unless the field had been turned upsidedown in the last 6 months we have nothing that suggests preferential response to certain agents.

Er not to rain on your parade but MTHFR mutations at times are deleterious and cause conditions like homocystinuria other times they are non pathogenic. So unless we knew then we can't help, your psychiatrist is not a geneticist and that site doesn't offer true consults(this is why it's cheap there is no board of doctors at the genetic lab analyzing your case) on its testing so I'm unsure who came to these conclusions but they are unfounded.
The condition it causes homocystinuria is a terrible one but manageable not with antidepressants but with amino acid therapy sometimes. It can cause severe neurological problems.
Also idk and I think it's funny that your psychiatrist took a genetic test and found your liver enzyme activity, you need plasma or urinary excretion profiles to Correlate with genetic testing to establish is you are an extensive metabolizer. Lastly cyp2d6 is upregulated and found in extensive metabolizers of antidepressants not so much cyp3a4.

Tldr::::
Don't get genetic advice from a a psychiatrist and get help for your possible homocystinuria, tell us which mutation please

Well, only the actual DNA is taken from the psychologist. The lab sends of the "kits", the Dr. does that swabs, then it is sent back to the lab for two weeks for testing. The results are all done at the lab and are sent over to the Dr. So, from that, they just tell you what the abnormalities are and specify which classes of medications will work best.

I would never take this from a therapist, but to become a psychologist, you go into medical school and study psychopharmacology, so they do have a better insight.

Now, these tests have existed for a few years, but as all medications, treatments, tests, they can take years to be available to the public. The one that I used is more recent and is localized to my area (PA, NY, NJ), so you can find the other ones that are currently being analyzed more in depth.

I understand the skepticism. I, too, am definitely skeptical...but, it seems to have some capability to help...rather that trial and error with the potential to cause depression symptoms to get out of control.

This type of testing has been in beta for a few years. This specific one was available in my area because that lab had recently adapted the test.
It hasn't been really prominent in any news because it is still being analyzed. We'll see though. I'm a skeptic, but the idea of this is something to really look out for in the future.

Also:
For years, general practitioners always thought I had Anemia, but my blood tests always proved them wrong. I've had chronic migraines for 9 years and depression and anxiety for about 10/11, so they were always treated seperately. From the findings in this test, it shows that I technically do have Anemia, but it is caused by the processes of my brain. I've been prescribed l-methylfolate (Deplin) instead of antidepressants because of these findings. I did a lot of research and found that this could potentially be the cureall for my psychological problems, as well as my constant migraines, cold fingers and toes, fatigue, yet inability to sleep, and dizziness.
So, while I've been on and off dozens of medications for these problems, this test might have been able to diagnose the problem being an extreme deficiency that happens outside of my blood.

Maybe I'm being a little naive, but the knowledge of this science and development has definitely captured my interest.

it shows that I technically do have Anemia, but it is caused by the processes of my brain.

It's probably more correct to say you have a 'vitamin deficiency' - anemia actually has a strict definition: lack of red blood cells and hemoglobin in the blood. If your blood tests show you have normal RBC levels and normal hemoglobin, you're not anemic.

I have to wonder out loud, though: modern analytical tools and techniques can basically figure out the levels of whatever you want in your bloodstream, you just have to know what you're looking for.
is there some reason we can't test for blood levels of 5-MeFolate vs THFolate (We do, after all, have tests for folate and its friends, doctors use 'em to help ensure pregnancies go nicely)?
How come you can't spend half a day getting a nurse to do hourly blood draws & lab work to figure out your personal half life of amphetamine either?

Don't get me wrong, from a scientific point of view sites like that which provide SNP analysis are pretty cool. But the thing is, all they're doing is looking for known, pre-existing point mutations. They don't, to the best of my knowledge, have the ability to confidently pinpoint new mutations nor their effects. I also have some concerns with essentially signing away rights to use my DNA to some company: I've read enough science fiction to know it can't, in general, end well...

I did a lot of research and found that this could potentially be the cureall for my psychological problems, as well as my constant migraines, cold fingers and toes, fatigue, yet inability to sleep, and dizziness.
And what works for you may be totally incorrect for someone else. You may want to wait until you've attempted treatment for a while before promoting their site :)

Last edited: