• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos New here, but looking for advice on Benzo tapering

I think you're right about the rebound anxiety. But I have taken some steps prior to my upcoming cut. 1.) I cut out my caffeine habit (was drinking 15 shots a day of espresso.. bad). 2.) I'm almost done with quitting smoking since both caffeine and nicotine can be antagonists when you're coming off of benzos. I'm also exercising now, meditating, and once the cut start about to double up the seroquel to keep the insomnia at bay.

Bento tapering to avoid withdrawl

Hi all. First time poster.

I have been off opiates (codeine, was popping upwards of 20 pills codeine OTC without CWE twice a day so a bit worried about my liver functions) for a year (aside from some hydros taken twice in that time frame). Yes I'm lucky to still be alive IMO. Quit smoking pot recently. Don't drink as much, maybe once a week if even. Basically trying to sort my shit out and not be so self destructive.

I want to get off benzos but am incredibly reluctant. I take 2mg prescribed clonazepam daily, take it in the morning. Also prescribed 1mg Xanax but usually blow through them taking 3.5mg at once leaving me on .5mg a day. One in the morning and one at night. I know I need to stop doing this but what can I say, I'm a drug addict. I also take 150mg prescribed to me of Lyrica a day but also abuse them. It should be 225mg but I end up taking 7x75mg. I end up taking my wife's prescription too, upwards of 20-30 pills at once. I figure I'll deal with the benzos and then worry about the Lyrica. I'm on a pharmacy plan with my meds since last year. I get a week supply at a time because they figured out about my addiction issues.

Is there a way to cut down my benzo usage without having to deal with the nasty wds? I was thinking chopping my clonos and decreasing by .25mg every two weeks. Is this too fast? Or should I drop the Xanax first? I'd rather do this without my psychiatrists help, frankly I don't really trust her judgment with pills too much. When I got clean from codeine she basically refused to help and sent me to my GP who thankfully decided to taper me on pure codeine phosphate. Lucky he did as it was the second time he did this for me. Can't afford a third relapse as I'm sure he will refuse to help again. But I'm doing well so fingers crossed that I don't relapse. I can't change psychs as I'm a free patient with my province. It was hard and long enough to get her tbh.

I suffer from SAD/GAD. Working on congnitive behavioural techniques with the aid of a social worker. I'm bipolar and also take 120mg of Latuda and my psych is going to put me on a mood stabilizer this week or shortly after (don't know if she got my blood work yet so may have to wait).

I was was thinking about picking up some Phenibut, I know this can be a slippery slope but figure it may help with the benzo wds. I'll try to limit it to twice a week. Any other meds that I can get to help out with wds?

Thank you you for any advice!

I wouldn't recommend phenibut if you are trying to get off benzos. I love phenibut but it is rather addicting. Some people (myself included) find it more recreational than benzos. Withdrawal sounds brutal, full on psychosis, tremors etc.

Something that might help is kava, if you aren't aware it is a root with gaba-ergic effects. It does not seem to have much withdrawal if any, and actually has a reverse tolerance. Some find it helpful for benzo withdrawal, others do not. Might be worth a try... just make sure you use only the root... there was a study that linked other parts of the plant to liver toxicity.

And YES, you will want to taper your benzos. I would stop the xanax first and then do a slow taper with the klonopin. Somebody with more expertise in the area will probably chime in with more specifics.

As I'm sure you are aware benzo withdrawal can be deadly, its best to get help from a medical professional.

Yeah I'll avoid the Phenibut then and try to find some kava root.

i think I'll drop the morning Xanax for two weeks and then halve/quarter the night time for a month. Then work on the klonos. I'll try to get some advice from my GP regarding the issue, yeah I'm aware of the dangers with benzo wds. Not looking forward to the lecture though lol. He's a good doctor but a hard ass.

Thank you!

Needing some help here, I have been on Xanax sine 2001 with the high dose of 2 mg, I did a taper on my own getting me down to .75, but now needing to climb back up, I have heard that Valium is often used to take the withdrawls of xanax away, but can not get a doc to help me they want me to stay on xanax and I want off, so I am seeking so good advice on how to handle this situation

Tapering is the way to go. Another option is Etizolam, which I've found way easier to get off of. It seems to have some "anti tolerance" attributes that classical benzo's don't have.

I?m new here and I?m trying to stop Xanax. I?m at 3 mg a day for about 3 years. and I was wondering if anyone knows if gabapentin helps with withdrawals.. I cold turkey once at a detox facility and they let me go after 4 days and that?s when I was getting bad all the withdrawal symptoms and had no clue what was going on, I thought I was going crazy until I started doing my own research. If anyone could please give me advice I really really really appreciate it!