New Forum - "Drug Culture" - Mods Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pleonastic

Bluelighter
Yes, that's right - we're actually gunna start a new forum! This has been in the works for quite a while now - and recently there has been quite a lot of behind the scenes discussions to work out the details. This is the bit where we need you guys! We need some new mods!
Kubenzi has been doing a lot of the work with the admin team on this forum, and so he has been selected. There are still 3 more positions to fill though, and while we have some ideas, none have been confirmed yet. Before anyone gets excited though, this job will be tough, and we're looking for people that are willing to give it their all. Title chasers need not apply, as the workload will show you up as fakes within weeks.
Before going any further, here are the details of the new forum. This is all still a work in progress, especially the guidelines - there will be faults in what's written below, but once we have a mod team they will work together to iron out the creases and come to what will end up being the official forum rules.

Forum Name: Drug Culture

Sub Heading: Discussion in regards to drug culture - please direct specific scientific or health related questions about drugs themselves to either the Other drugs, Psychedelic Drugs, Ecstasy Discussion or Drug Basics forums appropriately."

Forums Purpose and Goals: The purpose of this forum is to create an atmosphere where non-scientific/lighthearted drug conversation will be fostered. Threads that discuss the world of drugs as well as psychedelic culture are welcome.
The Drug Culture forum will provide Bluelighters a forum where they can have a little fun and learn more about the culture of drugs from around the world. For instance,
the types of posts we would like to see here would be something along the
lines of: pot Spots, what drug code words do you use?, why pacifiers?, what is the name of your piece?, debates about pot quality, the informal ethics involved in the illicit scene, etc.

General Guidelines:
  • Forum Content: Socially orientated threads are not only allowed, they are in fact encouraged. This forum exists to provide you with an
    opportunity to ask the less serious questions about drug use and culture as well as anecdotes about drug culture and most importantly, have fun!
  • Content Limitations: Of course the standard Bluelight conventions still apply:
    - No Drug Solicitation: DO NOT attempt to buy or sell drugs on Bluelight! Do not ask where you can obtain a drug - even if it is currently legal (e.g. research chemicals or ritalin or prozac). This should be common sense by now, but incase you are new here this forum is absolutely no exception to the rule.
    - No Dangerous Threads: Information encouraging harmful behavior will not be tolerated. Please use common sense so this guideline won’t have to be enforced.
    - Flaming: Non-productive criticism of a post’s content or its author will not be tolerated. Because this is a socially orientated forum a certain degree of good hearted ribbing is to be expected, but don’t take it too far.
    - Drug Terminology: Please make a concerted effort to use generic terminology when referring to drugs here. Bear in mind that this board is populated by people from all corners of the globe, some of whom may not be familiar with local or regional terminology. This guideline exists to simply create and facilitate the most amount of open discussion (i.e. – if someone doesn’t know what you are referring to they will have a difficult time joining the conversation)
  • All General Bluelight Posting Rules Will Apply: Be aware that First Amendment rights do not necessarily apply on Bluelight. Our server is located in the Netherlands, US law does not apply. Even if it did, freedom of speech means you have the right to say what you want but it does not mean that Bluelight has any obligation to publish that opinion.
  • Think before starting a new thread or making a reply: While this forum is for social discussion of drug use, that doesn't make it a free for all. When starting a new thread, try and consider what sort of responses it will receive and whether or not you're promoting an intelligent discussion. What we want is for people to put a bit of effort into the threads they start, rather than clicking the new thread button and forgetting about the thread before the page even reloads. Threads deemed unacceptable by the moderators will be locked or moved somewhere more appropriate.

As I mentioned above, the mods will need to be very active in their roles - especially in the beginning while people get the hang of what we're after in this new forum. They will also need to make use of their judgement frequently - often decisions will be based on how the guidelines are interpreted so we want people who aren't afraid to make tough calls and stick by them.

***How to Apply***
Follow these instructions to the letter - if you don't your application may not be read:
Send an email to [email protected] , and CC [email protected] . In the title of the email, include the words "Drug Culture Mod Application". In the body, include your Bluelight name, and any reasons why you think you'd be a good mod for the forum. Do not post your application in this thread, and do not pledge support for other people here either. This is not a popularity contest, so it doesn't matter how many friends you have that will vouch for you.
I'm not sure when applications will close yet, but we'll be sure to give you at least a few days notification. The earlier you apply though the better your chances are.
Those that may have known about this forum early somehow - your applications have been received and you need not worry about applying again.
If any admins have anything else to add then by all means please post them here. There was a lot to get through and I've no doubt forgotten something important.

Good luck to all applicants! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay!
I wish the best of luck to all those who apply. Bluelight just keeps getting better.

Threads of this nature already exist in socail / lounge. Must be sub categorise our content again?

Yeah, but in the lounge there are flames. SO in the end most threads are hijacked and diverted from their original intent. (not that I'd know)
If anything this would probably increase traffic, not move it around. People would go there first, see whats up, then move to another forum. If people start in the Lounge they move to another board a lot of times. Considering the responses that occur/are allowed in there.

if these threads end up in flames - then I suggest its an issue for the mods to address - rather than a need to move them to their own forum.
This forum just sounds a lot like social to me.

This forum is specifically for drug-related social topics, which are supposed to be off-limits in the Lounge, and really have no home anywhere on Bluelight. Drug+music posts are not allowed in the Music forum even though clearly there's plenty to discuss about the relation between drugs and music, but they're ill at ease in their respective drug forums as well, especially if the question is just "what's neat to listen to while on such and such drug?". "Hey, you guys wanna hear about the cool time I had last night" generally doesn't constitute a trip report, but neither does it fit in a discussion forum. A lot of the things that are currently being held in N&S America discussion will actually fit here, meaning that that forum can return to purely regional only discussion.
"Drug Culture" will be a place for the much lighter drug-related topics as opposed to the informational discussion that is intended for the Drug Basics, Ecstasy Discussion, Other Drugs and Psychedelic Drugs forums.
[ 03 December 2002: Message edited by: stardragon ]

okaay....I'm still not convinced but I'll be interested in how this forum goes. Divide and subdivide away!
[ 03 December 2002: Message edited by: nezo ]

Bad idea IMHO.
Sounds like it will be a huge clusterfuck.
Lots of topics are in the "gray area"... both productive and social/cultural at the same time. Mods and BLers will nitpick and argue over what forum something belongs in. Like we don't have enough thread transfers already.

I really think that there is no harm in trying, there are a large amount of things that could be moved to this forum that would help make social more social and DD more focussed on the more "full on" aspects of drugs.
I see DD as a place where people can get a more factual approach to drugs, and where certain aspects such as safety or use can be discussed. A drug culture forum would help turn DD into a better database for infomation and not opinions.
Make DD objective and DC subjective...

I would absolutely LOVE to help mod this forum! It ties in exactly with my current studes, please drop me an email if you wish to discuss it further!

OK, we've received heaps of applications and have more than enough to sort though, so I think we'll put an end to them now. Sorry about not giving notice, but realistically if you're serious about wanting to do this then you would have already applied by now...
Thankyou to everyone for the applications. We'll discuss them over the next week and make a decision. I'll reply to everyone that applied and let them know how they went, and what happens next if they were successful... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.