• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

New episodes of Hamilton's Pharmacopia on Viceland

Yeah, I saw that episode too. It was certainly interesting, as it's the last place on earth where Quaaludes are available. The problem is, it's not pure methaqualone. They add Benadryl into it, and it can't even be orally ingested, it has to be smoked. I can't even imagine the havoc that wreaks on your body. I'm a bit too young to remember the glory days of pure pharmaceutical methaqualone, they were designated Schedule 1 I think in 1984. Those Quaaludes were manufactured by legit pharama companies, without any additives. I'm 41, but my parents' generation remembers Rorer, Sopor, when the content was pure, without any additives. Those were the days, all right! Sorry to have missed it! ����

why can't the mandrax they make be orrally ingested?

Hamilton's cool. Knows a fair bit about chemistry and pharmacology. Good writer too, definitely one of the best Vice writers. The Sapo Diaries was one of my favourite articles. He goes into the Amazon and burns psychoactive frog secretions into his skin then goes back to the city and wanders around on Ayahuasca.

He talks about seeing 'de ja vu-faced travellers' and walking through 'places of impossible familiarity'. I can relate to that, walking around unfamiliar cities on psychedelics and everything is new to me but at the same time, there's this strange sense of having been there before..

I wonder if you are Hamilton since you're basically the worshiping the guy and licking his asshole when everyone else in the know or who has had the unfortunate experience of watching him on vice, knows he's a major douche and an idiot hipster.

It's a GREAT fucking show and I was just thinking of mentioning it.

I've seen the episodes on PCP, Quaaludes and Salvia and LOVE how he seems to be doing shows on more fringe drugs than the same old shows on weed, Ecstasy, Heroin, Coke, Meth, LSD and Shrooms.

Here are some substances I hope he does shows on: Kratom, Phenibut, DMT, Absinthe, Amyl Nitrate (Poppers), any old school barbiturates (reds/seconal, yellows/Nembutal), any of the newer RCs psychs, Ketamine, MXE, Ether, Mescaline/Peyote, etc.

When's he going to smoke or IV meth, smoke crack/base or IV coke, or IV heroin?

everyone else in the know or who has had the unfortunate experience of watching him on vice, knows he's a major douche and an idiot hipster.

When you say 'everyone in the know' who are you referring to?.. people who spend their time shitposting the facebook comments of articles written by people with more interesting lives?

Not that I'm saying you're like that - you've clearly got a head full of ambitious ideas:

When's he going to smoke or IV meth, smoke crack/base or IV coke, or IV heroin?

.. yeah, I look forward to watching your show when you get one. It's bound to be a fucking masterpiece.

alpha. all people that do science in an academic or professional setting are douchebags. probably about 95% of them are. I'm not sure why normal people don't go into science. But I didn't think anything bad of him because everyone I have ever interacted with professionally is basically like that, except they also hate drugs and think anyone that smokes pot also freebases crack and injects meth into their jugular vein, also highly judgmental and insecure people always trying to make others feel stupid....so in that sense....hes pretty decent for a science person.

he deals with a lot of "primitive" peoples and is highly respectful towards them.

to put in in perspective...there are waaaaaay more scientists that believe in christianity (including creation or intelligent design) than those that take drugs (or you would even suspect at least). which makes zero sense to me. So i would say hamilton is about the best we will ever get interms of a "cool" science person that promotes psychedelics.

i wouldn't call him an idiot...hipster yes. but he definitely has a very sound understanding of drug chemistry and a wide knowledge base as far as anthropolical aspects of drug use. I would challenge you to find any one with a better understanding in both fields in one person

Last edited:
As much I think he comes off like a douche I think a lot of us would come off the same way if we watched ourselves discuss drugs. I'm sure people thought the same shit about me as I think about him. The world needs douchebags like him. I enjoy him.

When you say 'everyone in the know' who are you referring to?.. people who spend their time shitposting the facebook comments of articles written by people with more interesting lives?

Not that I'm saying you're like that - you've clearly got a head full of ambitious ideas:

.. yeah, I look forward to watching your show when you get one. It's bound to be a fucking masterpiece.

I'm not into meth, crack/coke, or opiates. Eventually Hamilton will use them if he has not yet already. But he's your typical hipster from vice.

alpha. all people that do science in an academic or professional setting are douchebags. probably about 95% of them are. I'm not sure why normal people don't go into science. But I didn't think anything bad of him because everyone I have ever interacted with professionally is basically like that, except they also hate drugs and think anyone that smokes pot also freebases crack and injects meth into their jugular vein, also highly judgmental and insecure people always trying to make others feel stupid....so in that sense....hes pretty decent for a science person.

he deals with a lot of "primitive" peoples and is highly respectful towards them.

to put in in perspective...there are waaaaaay more scientists that believe in christianity (including creation or intelligent design) than those that take drugs (or you would even suspect at least). which makes zero sense to me. So i would say hamilton is about the best we will ever get interms of a "cool" science person that promotes psychedelics.

i wouldn't call him an idiot...hipster yes. but he definitely has a very sound understanding of drug chemistry and a wide knowledge base as far as anthropolical aspects of drug use. I would challenge you to find any one with a better understanding in both fields in one person

You really believe he's respectful to native people? 8) No he's not. Hamilton just wants to get high.

No not all scientists or researchers are douchebags, Hamilton however would be one regardless of what he decided to do.

Hamilton was popping benzos during an older YouTube episode. I'm sure he like hard drugs also....due to him loving all kinds of drugs seemingly....but due to social norms even with in the drug world...it's looked down on to say u do hard drugs and more acceptable to say u only do psychs.

Man u really hate this guy for some reason I don't see

I think VICE TV is openly racist and filled with jaded contemptuous employees that look down on anyone who are not as fucked as them.

There's hipster, then there's VICE, eww yuck!

They are harmful in that they are reinforcing....which causes tens of thousdands to take t0o much and die each year.

Its that domestic and hard drugs are not really his thing....the show is a lot about anthropology and drugs interfacing in foreign cultures. Its interesting. I wouldn't watch another show about a bunch of heroin addicts killing themselves on fentanyl

It's a slippery slope to start implying that use of Opiates invariably leads to addiction and dependence. Even if it does in a majority of cases, it would be pretty unscientific of us to just say that Heroin is danerous "Because you will become addicted" or that it should be illegal because, "People who use Heroin will rob you eventually". It's just not true and further contributes to urban legend, myth and superstition surrounding drug use.

Nobody is asking for a documentary about someone overdosing on Fentanyl. That's taking my meaning pretty far out of context. My point is, that even as we are in the midst of a so-called "Unprecedented Opioid Epidemic", the public at-large is still pretty oblivious to what certain hard drugs do.

If I stopped an average joe on the street and said "Heroin increases libido and causes immediate diarrhea", don't you think he'd be inclined to believe me? He's never done Heroin. Just like some assume that any and all doses of Opioids leave you in a puddle of your own drool.

There are myriad misconceptions surrounding hard drug use and my point is, it would be nice for someone to grow a pair of testicles and say:

"This is what these drugs do, here is me under the influence"

You must admit that the only reason he's able to use drugs like synthetic Cannabinoids on television is because they're considered more "tame" and "acceptable" than something like Heroin. He uses Ayahuasca in the jungle because it's "cute" and a highly stereotypical experience that many have pictured before; wandering into the jungle for some shamanistic ritual. It's been fucking done and it's been done to death. Burroughs was writing about the same, identical experience half a century before this guy ever did it. He probably used a fucking Groupon.

Meanwhile, what our civilization really needs, appropriate, accurate and scientific information for the masses regarding all drugs, not just the "cute" ones, remains absent from the mainstream media. That is my point. Thanks to this mentality, I have to listen to some stupid cunt at my work drone on about Heroin addicts dying from Cirhhosis.

Your attitude is a pretty spot-on representation of society as a whole; starting to accept a little bit, but still guided by archaic predispositions based more upon morality than anything resembling science. "You can't show him doing Opioids! Opioids are bad, addictive and kill!"

I can't help but wonder what type of attention whether it be positive or negative this show will bring to RC's especially the RC dissociatives. As far as I can see shows like the PCP episode could possible harm the legal status of drugs like 2-OXO-PCM. I hope hamilton is especially mindful about what legal chems he discusses.

I don't understand the desire for him to cover hard drugs. You feel good....is that what you wanna hear?

I think it's just a way for people on the fringe to feel welcomed...maybe a hope that the stigma will be lessened. That won't happen through this one youtube show.
Hard drugs have a purpose but most people regret falling into those things. I think some people are in denial of the personal consequences of their actions.

Personal choice is important and we should all be free to do what we want with our bodies but the public isn't going to change much on their outlook to hard drugs as long as we have people who defend hard drug use so arbitrarily.

Addiction is a disease. Why would anyone want a disease?

By bringing attention to the more purposeful, imo, mind-expanding drugs we have a much better chance to sway public opinion.

Side note....if you can use opioids regularly without becoming addicted, more power to you. The majority of people don't have that....whatever the hell you wanna call it.

I don't understand the desire for him to cover hard drugs. You feel good....is that what you wanna hear?

I think it's just a way for people on the fringe to feel welcomed...maybe a hope that the stigma will be lessened. That won't happen through this one youtube show.
Hard drugs have a purpose but most people regret falling into those things. I think some people are in denial of the personal consequences of their actions.

Personal choice is important and we should all be free to do what we want with our bodies but the public isn't going to change much on their outlook to hard drugs as long as we have people who defend hard drug use so arbitrarily.

Addiction is a disease. Why would anyone want a disease?

By bringing attention to the more purposeful, imo, mind-expanding drugs we have a much better chance to sway public opinion.

Side note....if you can use opioids regularly without becoming addicted, more power to you. The majority of people don't have that....whatever the hell you wanna call it.

Further proving my point. They are bad, you will become addicted, the drugs I use are sooooo different than that. They're mind-expanding. For your information, we do want the stigma surrounding drug use lessened. It's probably second only to Harm Reduction in our goals for the community. I don't know how you can be a memeber and feel that stigmatizing drug users as a whole is positive?

There was a whole VICE piece done on Fentanyl and the opioid crisis, esp. in Canada, so don't say there's no representation for opiates. It just wasn't covered by Morris.

On the topic of Mandrax/Quaalude: both of them were brand names for mixtures of diphenhydramine and methaqualone, actually. I don't think methaqualone was sold on its own - the diphenhydramine provides a large boost to the euphoric/sedative effects. It's orally active but of course smoking them would hit you much harder and faster.

Hamilton's a little bitch and his "Farm a co-pay uh?" can go straight to hell.

I've been heckling this guy trying to get him to talk to me for like 6 months but he won't respond to my insults or requests for new show topics. I was disappointed to see an entire episode dedicated to the drug Salvia. I think he needs to stop fucking around and really dig into the chemicals that we know and love. Not just using them, but studying and discussing their chemistry.

Why not have a show about Opioids? We're in the midst of a so-called crisis, why not educate the masses. We here on Bluelight are generally better-educated on the subject than the public as a whole. Maybe people are afraid that if they actually demonstrate the full range of effects of Opioids, we'll come to the conclusion that they're not harmful to the body, which would be a kick straight to the testicles of the DEA.

This post caught me by surprise.

Why would you be opposed to episodes on more unique drugs like Salvia?

I think it's MUCH more interesting to hear more about unique substances like Salvia, PCP and Quaaludes than yet ANOTHER show about opioids or coke or MDMA which are there are dozens of already.

Why would the guy respond to insults??

I just found this post odd as you always come off really cool and even tempered.

You must have particular reason for not liking this guy.

After reading some of your other posts I get where you are coming from in terms of wanting to lessen the stigma on hard drugs users, and I agree there should be less, but I've seen a million shows on different channels about heroin addicts, Meth heads etc, and also on a personal level I don't find those drugs interesting to hear about, or for that matter, any of the more common drugs I know more about.

I'm more interested in seeing people cover fringe drugs or unusual substances.

I'd get excited to see him do episodes on recreational use of Mandrake root, or history of Seconal/reds/barbiturates, or 4-ACO DMT, or Chloral Hydrate, Ether or Amyl Nitrate, because they are substances I know less about and which I don't hear about people doing so often.

Last edited:
I think VICE TV is openly racist and filled with jaded contemptuous employees that look down on anyone who are not as fucked as them.

There's hipster, then there's VICE, eww yuck!

What racism have you seen on vice?

(And are vice and Viceland the same?)

I haven’t seen any on any of Viceland’s shows

vice isn't racist in the traditional sense....what I think he's referring to is how on some of their shows they call everyone and everything racist that has to do with white people