• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Never Experimented

Status
Not open for further replies.

232_gght

I am 28 years old, in grad school, about to start my career. I grew up sheltered and therefore have limited experience with drugs. I have taken Paxil since the age of 15 for OCD, but I am currently weaning off of it, going to a therapist and he says I probably won't need any meds after that. I am very interested in trying LSD, molly, shrooms, etc., but I do not know how I will react with them. I want to have great experiences, and hopefully be able to do them several times, but I sometimes worry if my time is limited, or whether I will find the right times and places to do these things. Are my concerns valid? I've smoked weed countless times, and recently done coke several times, so I'm not concerned about those.

OP's question is not specific so i figured i would move it here as it is more of a general question.

'worry if my time is limited'

i wonder what OP means by this..

if you're worrying about drugs, then you should probably not take them.
you need to be ina good place: both physically and mentally

you have your whole life to experiment - do some research, make some friends/contacts who can give you some one to one help and the situation will present itself.

It's a bad idea if you have OCD and if you're worrying about it. You're just not in a right place imo.

232_gght said:
...but I sometimes worry if my time is limited, or whether I will find the right times and places to do these things. Are my concerns valid?

No I don't think you should worry like that. You practically have your entire life still ahead of you. There is never a reason you need to rush into any drug experience. Drugs aren't just a young man's game. I know people in their 60s who still enjoy LSD on occasion. My mom was 42 the first time she tried mushrooms ;)

If anything, it's a really great thing you waited so long. Most people start experimenting way too young imo.

As far as the right time and place: there is no need to rush this. It might help to find some like minded individuals and see if it leads to any new good friends. Having somebody experienced around whom you both like and trust is a good idea for these kinds of drugs, especially for your first time.

You've got all the time in the world. If you start making friends and don't rush into anything then I bet the perfect opportunity will one day present itself.

It's a bad idea if you have OCD and if you're worrying about it. You're just not in a right place imo.

This is a good point about set and setting. If you tend to over worry this may get amplified to extremely uncomfortable levels while tripping.

I would definitely keep working with your therapist and follow his/her advice with the tapering. It would be a good idea to wait until you sure you are stable after the taper is complete. Maybe give yourself several months after the taper and keep seeing your therapist. If things are going great and it doesn't seem like you need the meds anymore then it'll be a good time for you then to start thinking about possibly tripping.

The truth is, I couldn't tell you how a best friend or close relative will respond to psychedelic drugs or any drugs for that matter. I can make inferences sure, but it can't be done with any sort of accuracy. Now, when I'm trying to tell a complete stranger with preexisting psychological issues how they might respond, that's some dangerous territory.

The truth is, that you need to figure these things out for yourself. I'm not saying this to be unkind, it's just a fact. You need to decide what you want to do in your life. What we are here to do, is help you do that as safely as possible. So, with that in mind, simply asking "should I use drugs" is not a question that we can answer.

I can tell you that the majority of people who use psychedelic drugs don't end up with lifelong, nightmarish, day-time hallucinations, but folks who suffer from things like anxiety/depression can have a difficult time with them and their trips can be less than enjoyable or even scary. I know that I would fall into this category. I've used psychedelics about a dozen times in my life and half of those were experiences which I would describe as less than truly enjoyable and a couple of them were very difficult experiences.

However, psychedelic drugs also show some significant promise in treating conditions like depression/anxiety, among others, and many have reported immense, lasting benefit from their use. In the end, it all comes down to the individual.

In the end, it all comes down to the individual.

i think this thread is best summised here ^
we can't tell you what to take, but we can help you once you have
the ball is in your court - it always has been.
best of luck my friend; and try not to think about this too much.
closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.