• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Need Help - coming off alcohol and pot after long term use

Sendo

Greenlighter
I have been a heavy daily drinker for the past 15 years or so and regular pot user. Tried to quit many times in the past couple of years and am now 3 months off pot and 2 months alcohol free. I got fully checked out by dr and, and thank God, no significant medical problems.

But, last 2 months I have been a complete wreck - extremely lethargic, very low energy, depression/anxiety, no motivation, no desire to do anything

Dr gave me xanax to cope with the anxiety, which does help alleviate it. But the problem is I need to be able to work, have energy and some ability to function, be able to think and be functional, and have some desire to get up and live. Ive accomplished absolutely nothing in this time. I basically stay in the house and go out only to get food, etc.

Is there anything I can use to help me get back some energy and enthusiasm for life, to be able to think and function in my work, and function socially? Even just for a short time so I can get some momentum in my life and get back to work?

Tried phenibutt but that only made me more drowsy and I napped all day.

Can anyone help with this?

Thank you for any help.

Stay away from benzos. Stay away from phenibut.

15 years of heavy drinking is a lot of shit to put your body through. Whats your diet like? Do you exercise? As cliche as it sounds, you need to eat healthy and get some physical activity into your routine. Go for a run, ride a bike, just get up and do something. I promise you you'll feel A LOT after a few weeks. Maybe start meditating too.

This is an interesting and surprising post.. Not what I expected to read..
Without alcohol and weed I'm a anxious and kinda grumpy person. Working out is definitely a must, also reading. I have to challenge my mind.. Something else that is worth mentioning is sex. Sobriety means I'm horny all the fucking time.. So.. This all means that even when I've stopped using everything else, nowadays I still smoke weed. I find it impossible to relax at home without it. Needless to say, I work a lot when I'm sober too..
Sorry I don't have the answer, but I can sort of relate, just kinda opposite, so I thought I'd respond.
One thing that I've heard other people trying is a foclin medication or addys. They really can get you off the couch and get you focused at work..

First of all have you actually quit drinking? Second, switching to benzos is not a long term solution, you are going to need to get clean my friend. If you could go to rehab it helps, but an absolute must is get yourself to AA! Get a sponsor and get your life heading the other way. Is that really the kind of life you want to live? Drink, feel sort of buzzed but definitely dehydrated all day? The you take a nap wake up feeling like death so you take another swig, keep going through the day, go to lunch but it is starting to wear off so you gotta have a little more. Then if you run out before you made it to the liquor store you have to sit there and vomit your guts out, literally until there is nothing left in there and it is just painful painful dry heaving?

Then right before you leave for work you are starting to feel like you going to throw up again so you have to take a couple good swigs because you are on your way to work, you have to be frunctional. All the while knowing that one mistake. One tiny little imperceptible mistake could cause you to get pulled over and that is it DWI. It is a horrible way to live, and I hope you get out of it forever. I would talk to your doctor about campral if you are still having cravings for alcohol. But I would definitely try to get on an antidepressant and coming from somebody who tried them all and they did not work until I tried viibryd I say please try it out.

But none of this is going to matter if you don't keep at it with a strong attitude and with continued support from friends, family, and AA. And lets focus on one thing at a time here . But lets get This is a very fragile moment int time handle it with extreme care and you might just turn your life around. Don't make the mistake so many have and end up in jail, dead, or losing everything they love in their life. It is just not worth it.

The best drug that you can use legally and will help immensely is body building/weightlifting. Please give it a real try I promise when you start to see real results, you will get addicted.

Last edited:
First of all have you actually quit drinking? Second, switching to benzos is not a long term solution, you are going to need to get clean my friend. If you could go to rehab it helps, but an absolute must is get yourself to AA! Get a sponsor and get your life heading the other way. Is that really the kind of life you want to live? Drink, feel sort of buzzed but definitely dehydrated all day? The you take a nap wake up feeling like death so you take another swig, keep going through the day, go to lunch but it is starting to wear off so you gotta have a little more. Then if you run out before you made it to the liquor store you have to sit there and vomit your guts out, literally until there is nothing left in there and it is just painful painful dry heaving?

Then right before you leave for work you are starting to feel like you going to throw up again so you have to take a couple good swigs because you are on your way to work, you have to be frunctional. All the while knowing that one mistake. One tiny little imperceptible mistake could cause you to get pulled over and that is it DWI. It is a horrible way to live, and I hope you get out of it forever. I would talk to your doctor about campral if you are still having cravings for alcohol. But I would definitely try to get on an antidepressant and coming from somebody who tried them all and they did not work until I tried viibryd I say please try it out.

But none of this is going to matter if you don't keep at it with a strong attitude and with continued support from friends, family, and AA. And lets focus on one thing at a time here . But lets get This is a very fragile moment int time handle it with extreme care and you might just turn your life around. Don't make the mistake so many have and end up in jail, dead, or losing everything they love in their life. It is just not worth it.

The best drug that you can use legally and will help immensely is body building/weightlifting. Please give it a real try I promise when you start to see real results, you will get addicted.
Support is great, but it does not have to be 12 step. Some people (a lot, ime)just don't respond to that stuff. I for one could never subscribe to the rhetoric of these programs. To say they are the only way is laughable. There are many different ways to get/stay clean and sober. Everyone must find his/her own path.

Yeah, go easy on the phenibut and benzos. That's a pretty dark road. Supplements I always push are magnesium, sublingual b12 (will help with energy), and fish oil, a good b complex could help too and maybe some vitamin D. They can make a huge difference. Do your research on each to make sure you are getting quality supplements. Don't skimp on the quality because it makes a big difference.

You are making huge progress right now and I give you props. Keep up the good work. It is fairly well known that people can experience anhedonia after a period of heavy drinking. You are in a transitional phase not your permanent state. It could easily take 6 months or a year or even two to get back to your true self. People underestimate the recovery time it takes our bodies and brains to get back to 'normal' whatever that means. Whenever you are bombarding your brain with powerful chemicals, adaptations are made and sometimes it takes a while for these adaptations to repair themselves. Remember that the brain is a very plastic organism and does repair itself, you just have to give it time. Don't reach for psych drugs until you have given yourself some considerable time to heal. Adding more drugs will delay your recovery time and psych drugs can increase the chaos in your brain that is trying to reach homeostasis.

As mentioned, try meditating. Physical, aerobic activity (I like the elliptical myself), good diet high in omega 3s like non farm-raised fish (tuna and salmon are excellent). There is a chick that has a blog on eating healthy called 'the food babe' she has some great pointers on eating real food. Avoid stuff that has HFCS and a thousand ingredients. Basically, everything at 7-11 is out. Put some work in towards meeting your mental health needs besides reaching for drugs. I can't really get into AA or NA but smart recovery is another option. Try playing a sport, basketball, soccer, something where you are moving around a lot. Try and maintain a healthy lifestyle and fill up your time with good things instead of just sitting there doing nothing wishing you could have a drink. Stay active. It's hard, but once you get the ball rolling it gets easier. Find some new hobbies. Learn how to play guitar, or piano, or do something creative with your brain. Try luminosity to keep that mind working and occupied. Read books that are interesting to you. Basically, don't give yourself to to reflect on your depression. It will pass.

I've struggled a lot with depression and anxiety my whole life and I have found all of these things useful. I am recovering from psych drugs so I am biased against them. I am diagnosed with BP II and it describes me rather well but it doesn't mean anything to me. I may struggle with bouts of depression and anxiety and extreme states my whole life in one way or another but I am working towards healing. I don't believe it is a permanent situation for me. I refuse to accept that there is nothing I can do for it. I'm with you my man. Just keep pushing and doing what you are doing. You are already free, it's just a matter of realizing that now.

Much love buddy. <3

I was heavily addicted to opiates for fifteen years. It will be a year in the beginning of november.

I still don't feel completely right mentally and emotionally, however, I have made lots of progress and look forward to more in the future. I am actually enjoying life again.

I hope by reading what I have written it gives you hope that you can have a normal life after long term use of chemicals. It took me a long time to realise it myself (which always led me right back to the dope). It took a moment of awareness that things were not going to get any better unless I start making changes. It seems like you have made that choice. I had a few false starts as well. It took me many tries to get clean.

Down to brass tacks. If AA works for you good. I look at it as kind of like a cult, though I do go sometimes when I need to discuss things that non-addict folks would never understand. Keep those channels open even if you do not stick with AA because they will be a bunch of people in a room that understand you, and what you are struggling with.

For me, it took seven days of detox, two months of rehab, and four months of psychotherapy. I still see my psychiatrist as I need psych meds to stay on an even keel. Each person is different. I highly suggest you give yourself a break by going to rehab. It will get you used to dealing with problems without a drug or a drink. It can also teach you some life skills that you do not know you need. I'm a very domestic person, so I didn't need the help with doing laundry and cooking etc. However, I have OCD and I needed to work with a counselor on how to deal with that without opiates. It was incredibly helpful.

Back to now...I have a garden. The garden depends on me for water, and maintainence. If I fall off the wagon, my fresh herbs and flowers will die. I use that as a motivating force in my life. A reason for life. It causes me to get up early to do watering and weeding before the sun is too hot. I have control over what I grow, and what color flowers I have. It truly helps center me. You need to find your reason for life. I am not saying push all responsibilities such as family and work to the side, rather have something to look forward to every day. I love being in my garden, find a place you love to be. Idle hands are the devils play thing my friend.

Remember, you are a different person than you were yesterday. Keep that in mind as you move forward.

Support is great, but it does not have to be 12 step. Some people (a lot, ime)just don't respond to that stuff. I for one could never subscribe to the rhetoric of these programs. To say they are the only way is laughable. There are many different ways to get/stay clean and sober. Everyone must find his/her own path.

Thank you for your valuable input in this thread. You really helped OP by giving him different methods of getting clean, like CBT, LSR, Group Therapy... Oh wait... you didn't. So if you are going to come into a thread and criticize someone for trying to help another you should at the very least use the effort to actually provide some help to the OP. The truth is there are others way. But I DARE you to find one that is: A) 100% free B) In nearly every city in the united states and across most of the developed world C) Has been around longer or D) Is that well known? Having trouble thinking of a way? That is because there is not one.

Also, since my post was so laughable maybe you could quote where in my post I ever said that AA is the "only way." Oh wait... once again... something you can not do because it never happened either. And people that say the kind of things you said about AA are closed minded. It is not about the book, or the steps, or religion. It is about support and building a sober network. Going to an AA meeting accomplishes all of those things and the truth is if you read the first 20-30 pages in the big book you would see that it is not talking about God much, it is really about situations that all of the members on this board or anyone who has ever struggled with addiction can relate to. And the 12 steps are nothing more than a way to take accountability for yourself, give you the strength to apologize to those you have harmed, and let you know that helping get a fellow addict/alcoholic clean can in so many ways help you stay clean yourself. Anywhere you see the word God you can replace it with any person, group, or entity that you can place as more important than yourself so that you have someone/something to rely on in times of weakness/loneliness.

I can not ever think of a time I have gone in to a thread, completely ignored the OP and insulted another member on his advice by calling it laughable, and then not posted any kind of help to the OP by answering the initial question asked. And I also provided a good alternative to AA as well: fitness.

You are so right mad dash. The salient point of this thread is that there is a person out there that is truly seeking some help. If you have ever been addicted before, it will help you to help them. Even if all you do is tell them your story.

First of all have you actually quit drinking? Second, switching to benzos is not a long term solution, you are going to need to get clean my friend. If you could go to rehab it helps, but an absolute must is get yourself to AA!
"an absolute must" is an opinoion. I meant no disrespect, I just hate when people act like somone will never stay clean without 12 step programs. Simply not true.
Yes I should have mentioned alternatives such as meditation,music/art, group therapy,maintenance drugs,etc.,etc. I meant no disrespect to you or the op, sorry if I came off a dickhead. And I have read the entire big book in the past(and basic text), so I know what it says. Thers no point in us getting into that argument, Ill just agree to disagree.
12 step groups help some people and that's great, I just don't want anyone to think it's "an absolute must" of staying clean, that's counterproductive. I agree, exercise is quite important, especially for getting energy levels back. I wish nothing but the best to anyone getting clean, no matter what methods they choose, as I too have battled with addiction for years, and I know it's no day at the races.

Thank you all much for taking the time to reply to my post. I didn't expect to get so much valuable and insightful feedback.

The benzos thing is a tough one for me. I never thought I would be taking a little white pill to help me make it thru the workday. I don't like taking them but after two months of sobriety and extreme stress and anxiety it is helping me get my work done, despite making me sleepy. Now I just need to find a way to wean myself off them.

Already doing a lot of you alls suggestions - gym 4-5 days/week, good diet/very little junk, in AA with a sponsor, wife and I go to therapy together.

I'm researching some of the other suggestions. The main challenge is just having and maintaining a zest or enthusiasm for everyday life. I am hoping it comes back gradually - after abusing my body for so long maybe it just takes a year or two for the life to come back?

Thanks again for the encouragement.

"an absolute must" is an opinoion. I meant no disrespect, I just hate when people act like somone will never stay clean without 12 step programs. Simply not true.
Yes I should have mentioned alternatives such as meditation,music/art, group therapy,maintenance drugs,etc.,etc. I meant no disrespect to you or the op, sorry if I came off a dickhead. And I have read the entire big book in the past(and basic text), so I know what it says. Thers no point in us getting into that argument, Ill just agree to disagree.
12 step groups help some people and that's great, I just don't want anyone to think it's "an absolute must" of staying clean, that's counterproductive. I agree, exercise is quite important, especially for getting energy levels back. I wish nothing but the best to anyone getting clean, no matter what methods they choose, as I too have battled with addiction for years, and I know it's no day at the races.

Thank you for your gracious reply to my slightly manic post. I was in between medication doses and I use to get a bit aggressive in between doses of my benzos and antidepressant until I got on gabapentin. That aggressive attitude served me well as an Army Ranger but not so much as a member of this website. Please accept my apologies and know that it will never happen again. I never thought I would say this but gabapentin has been a wonderful tool in the arsenal to help control my aggressive impulses.

Mad Dash, is gabapentin something you would recommend for dealing with considerable anxiety and irritation that would allow one to be social and productive at work?

This.

Good luck. The sober living forum here on bluelight can be helpful.

Be very careful with the phenibut and benzos, and opiates they are all highly addictive and it's just switching one addiction for another. Have you talked to your doctor about how you're tired? Do you exercise daily?

Thank you for your gracious reply to my slightly manic post. I was in between medication doses and I use to get a bit aggressive in between doses of my benzos and antidepressant until I got on gabapentin. That aggressive attitude served me well as an Army Ranger but not so much as a member of this website. Please accept my apologies and know that it will never happen again. I never thought I would say this but gabapentin has been a wonderful tool in the arsenal to help control my aggressive impulses.
No worries friend and glad the gabpentin's helpin ya. Hey Sendo, how's it been goin for ya?

Thanks for asking. Maintaining sobriety.

Ive established a morning routine of meditating and then working out. I get a lift out of that until mid-late morning and feel ok. That seems to wear off mid to late morning and I gradually become anxious, withdrawn, mildly depressed, easily irritated and generally lose all motivation and interest (in anything) for the rest of the day. This is a huge problem - for my work, for my relationships, esp with my wife.

My theory is that all the years self medicating with drugs and alcohol numbed me to pain and suppressed all kinds of issues.

I don't like taking xanax but it does relieve much of the anxiety - MD wants me to taper off it. MD also has me on cymbalta for depression.

Still hoping to find some way to be productive, social, and find some joy in life.

Thanks for asking. Maintaining sobriety.

Ive established a morning routine of meditating and then working out. I get a lift out of that until mid-late morning and feel ok. That seems to wear off mid to late morning and I gradually become anxious, withdrawn, mildly depressed, easily irritated and generally lose all motivation and interest (in anything) for the rest of the day. This is a huge problem - for my work, for my relationships, esp with my wife.

My theory is that all the years self medicating with drugs and alcohol numbed me to pain and suppressed all kinds of issues.

I don't like taking xanax but it does relieve much of the anxiety - MD wants me to taper off it. MD also has me on cymbalta for depression.

Still hoping to find some way to be productive, social, and find some joy in life.
Yeah, I think you hit it on the head with your theory. It can take a lot of time to recover when you've used for a long time. Ime that's onee of the main reasons people relapse. I think tapering off the xanax would be good for you in the long run.