• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help Need advice with trazodone

Vrachox

Bluelighter
Hi everyone.
I am battling a lot of mental disorders for 13 years.
My new therapy includes 300mg trazodone before sleep
I feel great(god bless) for 20 days maybe even more.
I fixed my sleep pattern.

My problem is that when i wake up in the morning i am groggy and dizzy and very very sleepy.

My question is first will that side effects dissapere over time.

Second i use 300 mg at once before sleep,,should i Split my doses
Example i go to sleep at 23h
Cam i took 150mg at 19h and 150mg before sleep to reduce groggines or it doesnt make Sense.

Tnx for reading,i appreciate all advices.
God bless you all <3

The drowsiness has never gone away for me (7 years) but I am just on it for sleep so I don't take it every day, or even most days, so that would probably stop any sort of tolerance developing for me.
I find coffee helps in the morning. Like 2 strong, large cups and I'm usually good, but depending what you need the Trazodone for that might be a bad idea (like if you have severe anxiety, caffeine is gonna be bad....or OCD).

Tnx for response my man i appreciate it.
I am daily on 300mg at night,,i am sad to hear that dose side effects doesnt stop cus it works well for my sleep and depression.

I drink a lot of coffe and take 36mg a concerta in the morning,,it helps me survive sleepines and groggines.

I am not anxious generaly.

My problems are depression with major simptoms like sadness,melancholy,no future for me etc.
Also i have inatentive adhd.

Tnx

Ya can if ya want. Give it a try.
Not a doctor or anything of the sort but have used traz off lable at times for discontinuation of certain meds and agree that the traz is a very potent tranquilizer if you will. I think I was breaking off pieces of 300mg pills to like 25 or 50mg and still got my rest.
Your call, though.
Be safe and hope things turn out a little brighter for you at some point.
J

Tnx for response my man i appreciate it.
I am daily on 300mg at night,,i am sad to hear that dose side effects doesnt stop cus it works well for my sleep and depression.

I drink a lot of coffe and take 36mg a concerta in the morning,,it helps me survive sleepines and groggines.

I am not anxious generaly.

My problems are depression with major simptoms like sadness,melancholy,no future for me etc.
Also i have inatentive adhd.

Tnx

I find generally an SSRI or SNRI will work at least as well as Trazodone and has much less side-effects, have you not been tried on any of those first?
I have psychotic depression (major depressive disorder, severe, w/ psychotic features) which is the most severe type and I found Sertraline (Zoloft) the most helpful.
I think if the Trazodone works for the depression, it's worth being a little groggy in the morning. If you have adhd, the concerta may actually make the grogginess WORSE (I'm definitely not suggesting you stop taking it) as stimulants have the opposite effect in people with ADHD (meaning the coffee may also be making you more tired).

Ya can if ya want. Give it a try.
Not a doctor or anything of the sort but have used traz off lable at times for discontinuation of certain meds and agree that the traz is a very potent tranquilizer if you will. I think I was breaking off pieces of 300mg pills to like 25 or 50mg and still got my rest.
Your call, though.
Be safe and hope things turn out a little brighter for you at some point.
J

I agree there's no issue with breaking it into two doses. OP definitely shouldn't reduce dose though as the dose needed for depression (150-600mg) is a lot higher than the dosage for withdrawal or sleep (25-150mg)

the dose needed for depression
I see.
Just an example of the improbable issue of an adverse reaction to dosing lower as far as effectivie outcome.
Did not take depression into the picture so yeah my bad on that.
I like trying to read up on how if one is on many meds what possible interactions may occur.
Like my friend who I currently "work" for.
. she is on at last count 15 differet meds (pills), oxygen 24/7 and nebulizer (albuterol solution) treatments as needed.
Shoulda a been a prescribers cross-index maybe that will be a thing but a person who could actually give a broad view in a communication instead of "that's what the computer says" bs.
Didn't mean to ramble.
... i use 300 mg at once before sleep,...

The dose needed for depression (150-600mg)
So maybe even cutting 300 mg in half, if only (at minimum) 150mg is lowest recommended dose, wondering if taken in fourths that 300 turns into 75 and maybe that would allow consuming half a pill a day instead of the whole 300 ya get it.
If anything makes me dizzy I will helve it at least but that is only the way I choose personally.
Always my best,
J

I see.
Just an example of the improbable issue of an adverse reaction to dosing lower as far as effectivie outcome.
Did not take depression into the picture so yeah my bad on that.
I like trying to read up on how if one is on many meds what possible interactions may occur.
Like my friend who I currently "work" for.
. she is on at last count 15 differet meds (pills), oxygen 24/7 and nebulizer (albuterol solution) treatments as needed.
Shoulda a been a prescribers cross-index maybe that will be a thing but a person who could actually give a broad view in a communication instead of "that's what the computer says" bs.
Didn't mean to ramble.

So maybe even cutting 300 mg in half, if only (at minimum) 150mg is lowest recommended dose, wondering if taken in fourths that 300 turns into 75 and maybe that would allow consuming half a pill a day instead of the whole 300 ya get it.
If anything makes me dizzy I will helve it at least but that is only the way I choose personally.
Always my best,
J

I just wouldn't fuck with the prescribed dosage by their doctor who obviously knows a lot more about them than we do.

Sorry about you friends health problems. I can relate as I'm on 16 different prescriptions, too. Many of which definitely interact in a way my doctor should have noticed. A couple examples:
Codeine, Morphine, and Co-Codamol all being opioids, plus gabapentin.
Sertraline (Zoloft) and Trazodone, which I did actually get a "mild"* serotonin syndrome from once

*it was classed as "mild" but I was VERY sick for three weeks. But I guess it was still mild, considering SS can be fatal

Thank you all for answers.
I tried all ssri/snri + some others like wellbutrin.
Nothing Worked for my depression,maybe escitalopram but i dont rember that was a long ago.
Now i am on trazodone(sari) and it works for depression and other problems including obviously insomnia
But i am very groggy all day.

Maybe i try some triciclys like amitriptiline or others like mirtazapine.

But dont know Will ask doctor.

Tnx to everyone

Hi everyone.
I am battling a lot of mental disorders for 13 years.
My new therapy includes 300mg trazodone before sleep
I feel great(god bless) for 20 days maybe even more.
I fixed my sleep pattern.

My problem is that when i wake up in the morning i am groggy and dizzy and very very sleepy.

My question is first will that side effects dissapere over time.

Example i go to sleep at 23h
Cam i took 150mg at 19h and 150mg before sleep to reduce groggines or it doesnt make Sense.

Tnx for reading,i appreciate all advices.
God bless you all <3
Before I respond, please know I'm not any kind of medical professional. My opinions are just that, opinions and are only based on my personal experience.

That's A LOT of trazodone for sleep. Trazadone is a tricyclic antidepressant- Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) are a class of medications that are used primarily as antidepressants, which is important for the management of depression. They are second-line drugs next to SSRIs. TCAs were discovered in the early 1950s and were marketed later in the decade.

I've been on and off Trazodone for almost 20 years. The dose to treat depression/anxiety/etc, the therapeutic dose, is 300-500mg. However, as is the case with so many meds, there is an off-label use for sleep, in smaller doses. If you're taking it to help with sleep, 50-100mg is the normal dose...even up to 150. I haven't heard of it going above that. You're taking more than the therapeutic dose (for sleep) which is probably why you're groggy constantly. I can't sleep for shit, never could. I started on 50mg, and at times, have used 100mg. Even with 100mg, most people feel a significantly groggy/tired for the first week or so until their body adapts.

I would most definitely report these side effects to your doctor so you can adjust your meds accordingly.

edit** I didn't read every response before replying, so I apologize if you've read this information.

Mirtazapine has been the only one that has worked for me. Great sleep and the morning groggy feeling goes away fast. Every other type makes my anxiety 10x worse.